Skyscraper City Forum banner
2161 - 2180 of 3158 Posts

·
Photo Preservationist
165 Posts
Here's another one from the family archives. I think this was taken on the roof of The University Settlement House on the corner of Rivington and Eldridge around 1915. Does anyone recognize any of the buildings in the background?
P.S. That's my grandmother-to-be in the middle of the pile.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just developed a film from a camera I found.

http://imgur.com/a/d1BzK the rest is here
1st one: in the lower right corner is that squashed-hexagon building between 39th-40th just west of 6th Ave, with 110 W 40th peeking out behind it.

2nd one looking W on 32nd St just E of 7th Ave.

3rd one: that sunlit bldg down there must be the glass box on the west side of 6th Ave, 33rd to 34th?

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Desertpunk, isn't that Stuyvesant Park in the Broadway, 1905 shot?
You didn't ask me, but I'll answer anyway. No, Madison Square Park is on the right edge of the photo and the obelisk is Worth Monument at 25th Street, honoring General William Jenkins Worth. The view looks north at the convergence of Broadway and Fifth Avenue.

·
Philosophizer
8 Posts
Incredible pictures. I'm in the UK right now, and the feeling I'm getting from looking at these pictures is that turn of the century New York (the nice areas) seems to have much more of a London-type vibe going on.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
55,632 Posts
Incredible pictures. I'm in the UK right now, and the feeling I'm getting from looking at these pictures is that turn of the century New York (the nice areas) seems to have much more of a London-type vibe going on.
Not by coincidence. So many things in early NYC were modeled after London, the world's leading city.

2161 - 2180 of 3158 Posts