SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tokyo in the 1960s, 1970s & 1980s

やっぱり今度にも enjoy Korea/Japanから持って来たの. 毎度感じるのだが, 日本は本当にベウルゾムがマンダヌンゴだ. すごいね! 2006年 Skyscrapercityでは, 韓日-働いた友好を引き続こう! 翻訳がよくできたのか分からないね...- .-;;

Tokyo City Hall U/C

Nishi Shinjuku

Ginza

·
44,520 Posts
very nice

i like the pic of the Tokyo city hall :eek:kay:

:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow. im planning to go Tokyo and Kyoto next year somewhen *-*

I specially want to be Tokyo tower at night and see the night scenery of Tokyo!!

Awesome

·
Gosford/Sydney.
1,595 Posts
Great pics.Thanks for sharing.

Its funny.

That was a time when Japan was one of the richest countries in the world.Yet the fashion was very conservative juding on the pics.

No cute girls in boots,short skrits,shorts and other crazy clothing

·
Registered
955 Posts
Nick said:
Great pics.Thanks for sharing.

Its funny.

That was a time when Japan was one of the richest countries in the world.Yet the fashion was very conservative juding on the pics.

No cute girls in boots,short skrits,shorts and other crazy clothing
Hehe, I just noticed that. Maybe the not so conservative fashion types would be restricted to a few wards as these pics were taken in very public and crowded areas.

·
Gosford/Sydney.
1,595 Posts
True.

I guess back in the 80s Japan still looked to other western nations for influence when it came to fashion.

One of my students told me this.Apparently the Japanese started going nuts in the Harajiku in the 70s but didnt truely experiment without the west untill the early 90s,which reached the mainstream by the late 90s.

When I see pictures of my school parties back in the mid 90s everyone is dressed very conservatively.Something happened in 1997 I think?

From that year the women started wearing sexy leather,cowboy hats,short skirts and all that other wonderful stuff I see everyday.

For the record.I came to Japan in 1999.Just at the end of the leather,cowboy hat and boot phase.Yippie!!!

·
1,173 Posts
Lovely pictures. From what I can see Tokyo looks even cleaner in the 1980s than it is now.

I wish I could have been working in Japan in the 80s.... it really was the leading country in the world then.

There was another thread with photos of Tokyo in the 80s... can the photos on that thread be transferred to this one?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi there,

I wonder if you could post old pictures of Tokyo especially during the early 20th century. Is Tokyo 'prosperous' back then? I am so curious how progressive Japan is back in those times.

Please close this thread if there is already an existing one.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Ginza, 1933.

Ginza, 2008.

Shinagawa, 1937 or before.

Shinagawa, 2008. It's surprising that the arrangement isn't very different.

See this site for other pics of 1930s.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Youtube videos

Tokyo, Kyoto, and various places, 1897.
(The oldest moving pictures shot in Japan.)

Tokyo, 1919.

Tokyo, 1935.

Tokyo Metro Ginza Line, 1930s.

Brand new car by Nissan, 1936/1937.

Tokyo. 1940.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Edo, 1865 or 1866

(Click for a larger image)

When I saw this famous pic of Edo, I wanted to shoot a pic to see the current view of the same place. Unfortunately (or not), I just found some cool blogger already had the same idea.

This is the view of exaclty the same place, 2008.

Another famous pic of Edo, 1865 or 1866.

The same place, 2008.

See his site for other interesting comparisons.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Whoah... thanks a bunch guys for sharing all these nice photos. It seems like Tokyo is also very "European" looking at that time.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts