Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
77,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
couldnt find an appropriate thread.
i have lots of old stuff ive been scanning

does anyone remember the Guardian Assurance Bldg? it was 5th tallest skyscraper in brissy in 1965 at 50m.
its still there?

·
Premium Member
9,731 Posts
I think the present Stock Exchange Hotel was originally just called the Exchange.

Have looked through all my pictures, and this one from 2006 I think could be the Guardian Insurance building (on the left).
I don't have any real good building pictures of this part of Queen St, it is pretty dense around there so you can't get a good front on view.
Plus you have the attractions of the up-street views drawing your lens.

·
Registered
77,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah the brown looking one.who would of thought that was 4th tallest bldg in the CBD on completion!

·
Registered
77,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Brick 50's/60's scrapers do look a little odd now.

I guess Torbreck would have to be the highest brick scraper in Brisbane?

The Crest is probably the tallest in the CBD?
Yes Torbreck was tallest skyscraper in "Brisbane" when completed in 1960. its funny that a tallest wasnt actually in the CBD but 2km away?
it was also Australias tallest resi block on compeltion at 68m/20st high!
not sure what the Crest is but the FIRST skyscraper to breach the 132ft/40m height limit was The 16storey/61m Pearl Insurance @ 391 queen st in 1965. YOU CAN SEE IT opposite Gardian Ins!!

reclad?>
http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=379queenstreet-brisbane-australia

·
Registered
77,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh ok, so you think its tallest brick bldg in brisbane? probably right.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.