SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 206 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,202 Posts
:applause:
great collection!
though I have a problem with much of the architecture since I'm not a big fan of that specific one inspired by Vienna. it's mostly the color of the modern day old buildings.
in any case, before the war, I think the capital was a much more beautiful city than it is now, after the commieblocks invaded.

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
3tmk said:
:applause:
great collection!
though I have a problem with much of the architecture since I'm not a big fan of that specific one inspired by Vienna. it's mostly the color of the modern day old buildings.
in any case, before the war, I think the capital was a much more beautiful city than it is now, after the commieblocks invaded.
Same with Belgrade, but at least Sofija kept its beautiful buildings whilst Belgrade lost its majority in WWII.:(

·
Super Moderator
Grad Oblakodera
38,287 Posts
^^^
I wonder why do you insist Belgrade lost majority of buildings in WWII? It was the same in Old Belgrade thread even though most of buildings were still standing (except of 2 buildings and overall look of Terazije).
:dunno:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Unfortunately, a lot of these elegant buildings were either detroyed by the allies or pulled down by commies to open space for the stupid largo. I don't really know about Belgrad, is the old town more preserved? whwere's the oldBG thread?

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
Singidunum said:
^^^
I wonder why do you insist Belgrade lost majority of buildings in WWII? It was the same in Old Belgrade thread even though most of buildings were still standing (except of 2 buildings and overall look of Terazije).
:dunno:
Well whatever it is, Belgrade looked a hell of a lot better 60 years ago.:D

Btw, those post WWII pics of Sofija are sweet. It looks amazing.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Marvellous.

Sofia is a very under-rated city. Hopefully the construction of that Nis-Sofia expressway will start soon so that the access to the city can be facilitated.

·
Super Moderator
11,202 Posts
check this site:
http://www.andreas-praefcke.de/carthalia/
for more pics of old postcards of theaters from all around the world
Nationalna Opera i Balet
http://www.geobiz.com/sfopera/index.html

Reverse Text: "Sofiya - Sofia - Narodnata Opera, L'Opéra National, Die Staatsoper"
Publisher: Fotoizdat; Akl-2124
Size: Modern
Sent: from Sofia to Coburg (Germany), 1967

Nationalen Teatr "Ivan Vazov"
Built 1905-1906 for the Duchy of Bulgaria by Ferdinand Fellner & Hermann Helmer. Opened 16 Jan 1907 with Dobri Christov's "Festive Ouverture", Ivan Vazov's scenic prologue "The Fame of Art" and Act V of Vasil Drumev's drama "Ivanko". 1021 seats. Stage house destroyed by a fire on 10 Feb 1923 (auditorium also damaged because the iron curtain did not work properly). 1923-1928 building of a newly constructed stage house and a slightly altered auditorium by Martin Dülfer. 1972-1976 renovation of the stage house and exterior to the original plans by Ivan Tomov and Lilija Toteva (auditorium altered again, with only slight references to the 1906 original). Named in honour of the Bulgarian author, Ivan Mincov Vazov (1850-1921).

Front Text: "Pozdrav ot Sofia - Salutations de Sophia; Nrodinjat Teatr v Sofia - National-Theater"
Sent: from Sofia to Liège (Belgium), 1910

Handwritten Reverse Text: dated 1919

Picture: after the rebuilding of 1928

Picture: after the rebuilding of 1928, before the 1972-1976 restoration

Picture: after the 1972-1976 restoration

·
Registered
15,765 Posts
Най-голямо впечатление ми направиха две неща: пленарната зала на Народното събрание отвътре преди е била много по-красива и до Халите, където има паркинг сега, преди е имало сгради...

1 - 20 of 206 Posts