Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Break
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
About time this had its own thread rather than get overlooked in the Development Thread from January. The residential/extension app is regularly updated

Two applications

Application Number: 2018/00505/PA

Application Type: Listed Building

Site Address: Old Union Mill 17-23 Grosvenor Street West Ladywood Birmingham B16 8HW Listed Building Consent for demolition of 20th century extension to rear, internal and external alterations to existing building to provide additional access to the rear (all works associated with refurbishment to provide office floorspace)

Applicant: Mersterbrook Ltd
&

Application Number: 2018/00484/PA

Application Type: Full Planning

Site Address: Old Union Mill 17-23 Grosvenor Street West Ladywood Birmingham B16 8HW

Proposal: Proposed two storey extension to rear of original building to facilitate refurbishment to provide office floorspace (Use Class B1a), two new residential blocks within rear courtyard rising to 3 and 4 storeys consisting of 14 apartments, re-levelling and landscaping to form parking courtyard and communal gardens (re-submission of 2017/03387/PA) (Amended & Additional Plans - Overlooking Study, Window Study & Elevations East Block)

Applicant: Mersterbrook Ltd

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Great presentation of this tidy little project PB. Is this planning application an amended one, I thought an application went in 18 months ago and it just seemed to disappear into thin air?
With Sherborne Wharf 1 underway and 2 imminent, this is the final piece in the jigsaw for this part of the canal and wharf. Hope it goes through and moves on quickly to the build phase.
Any idea when this newest application was submitted or as it just gone in? I check the weekly planning apps regularly and hav'nt seen this one?

·
Break
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great presentation of this tidy little project PB. Is this planning application an amended one, I thought an application went in 18 months ago and it just seemed to disappear into thin air?
With Sherborne Wharf 1 underway and 2 imminent, this is the final piece in the jigsaw for this part of the canal and wharf. Hope it goes through and moves on quickly to the build phase.
Any idea when this newest application was submitted or as it just gone in? I check the weekly planning apps regularly and hav'nt seen this one?
A month late with the reply, apologies! :)
It's a brand spanking new app. It hit the planning portal on the 29th of January this year.

The app looks to have evolved from the withdrawn one we had last year & the apps we had back in 2005 & 07 from Umberslade. Hope they pull it off this time around

·
Registered
5,678 Posts

·
The promised land
17,640 Posts
^^
Anyone know if this was approved yesterday?

Also anyone know if BCC have a web page or a link where you can checkout planning committee decisions? I have no problem finding the weekly planning applications, but do they have something similar outlining decisions made?
Minutes are published on the same page as the committee report after they are agreed at the next Planning Committee meeting following the decision.

The easiest way is to go back on the application page after mid-day Friday as the Decision Notice is usually published there.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts
Deferred for site visit.
^^
I really don't understand our planning committee, what can possibly be wrong with this tidy little project. This as been pushed back or deferred, or gone back to the drawing back three or four times in total. The present site is an overgrown derelict mess. This is not too tall, not too overbearing, a good design and importantly retains and renovates the old mill building.
The developers must be thinking of walking away after this!
:eek:hno::eek:hno:

·
The promised land
17,640 Posts
There’s been a few apps deferred for site visit lately why don’t they be proactive and visit sites beforehand?
Usually they visit the site after the pre-committee meeting which is held up to a week before Commitee. I imagine that the site virus is to look at a specific issue raised during committee or the application received information after the earlier site visit.

·
Break
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is back with a bang on the 18th too!! Hope they've had a good mooch.

Conclusion
7.1 The principle of residential development on this previously developed site within the City Centre is acceptable. The proposed layout and design of the development together with the impact upon heritage assets is considered to be appropriate.

The concerns of neighbours have been considered however the impact upon their amenity is considered not to be so adverse as to warrant refusal.

8. Recommendation
8.1 Recommend approval subject to conditions.
And as for the listed building on site, which will see a modern ext demolished

It is considered that the proposed alterations to the listed building itself would remove largely modern fabric and allows for the building to be brought back into use without harming its understanding or significance. It is considered that the proposals would retain an acceptable amount of the original structure and that the approach taken to restore the building pays due regard to the preservation of the building, its setting and the historic features it possesses.

8. Recommendation
8.1 Approve subject to conditions.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts