Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of the very early rail station buildings of the 1830s are understood to have been demolished, though a few examples appear to survive. I did a little research to find out when the Brighton railway terminus was built (1839-40) and this still stands and continues to form the entrance facade (though partially obscured by a late 19thC glazed shed structure in front. This may be the oldest large passenger railway station that still operates in the UK or the world.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/STbrigh2.jpg

http://greynet.org.uk/reports/brighton2004/links/BrightonStation.jpg

Brighton station was closely followed by the Bristol Meads station which was also built in 1839-40, though opened for services a few months later.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FqRSoK6b9...w98n6XSII/s1600/BristolTempleMeadsStation.jpg

I would be interested to learn if there are other surviving railway station buildings which continue to operate?

·
*THEIYR'RE
7,326 Posts
You might want to look at Rainhill, as in the Rainhill trials, on the original Manchester - Liverpool line, opened in 1830. You might want to look into other stations on the line which are still open from that time (though many have been rebuilt).

·
Mancunian Member
7,192 Posts
Manchester's Liverpool Road station is the World's oldest railway station still standing, obviously, it's no longer part of the railway network but leisure rides on a short section of track still run today.

·
Registered
16,736 Posts
ScouseinManc said:
Edge Hill, Liverpool as far as I am aware is the oldest operational railway station
Edge Hill is not the original station, that was located further away from Lime Street. The oldest still in use I believe is on that line though. Broad Green. The oldest grand terminus was Birmingham Curzon Street. Sadly not in use. This will be reborn with HS2 of course.

·
Registered
16,736 Posts
Chogmook said:
Manchester's Liverpool Road station is the World's oldest railway station still standing, obviously, it's no longer part of the railway network but leisure rides on a short section of track still run today.
Liverpool Road Station buildings ware actually a converted house. So not built for the railway. The viaduct over Water Street is probably the first roper viaduct though.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
In London 1836 looks to be the oldest bit on the line to Greenwich. The viaduct remains and there are some remnants of Spa road, see;

http://www.yellins.co.uk/transporthistory/rail/l-and-g.html

Another old ones is London to Blackwall which is part used by the DLR, part Heavy rail. The bridge at limehouse is very attractive and I think is original. 1840.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/limehouse/index.shtml

Then there is the Braitwaite viaduct 1839

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/...tation/bishopsgate_goods_development_plan.gif

·
*THEIYR'RE
7,326 Posts
Broad Green is the oldest still open in its original location but the buildings have been replaced in the 60's/70's. Rainhill I think is the only 1830 station with the original building in the original location still open. I think ;)

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Broad Green is the oldest still open in its original location but the buildings have been replaced in the 60's/70's. Rainhill I think is the only 1830 station with the original building in the original location still open. I think ;)
I checked the Rainhill railway station, it is not original, dates to c.1860, though is very fine. Curiously, no mention on related web sites that it was at the Rainhill trials that the first railway related death occured. The skewed-arch red sandstone bridge over the railway dating to the railway construction is a gem.

Broad Green station: there is an old image of a charming small railway station here, probably not original, but this seems to have been replaced by the most dreadful 1960s or 70s era station building - no respect for the history of this station which has been in operation since the 1830s.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Edge Hill is not the original station, that was located further away from Lime Street. The oldest still in use I believe is on that line though. Broad Green. The oldest grand terminus was Birmingham Curzon Street. Sadly not in use. This will be reborn with HS2 of course.
Great news. I see on Wikipedia that the station opened in 1838, so may well be the oldest surviving original large station building, though has not been in continuous operation. Hopefully it will have a new life - hope that if any parts of the original interior survives that this is respected.

·
cockney sparrow
4,448 Posts

·
Registered
16,736 Posts
i_like_concrete said:
Curzon St is not being re-used as part of HS2. It is being turned into an Art Gallery.

The Birmingham central HS2 station will run to the South of the Old Curzon st station and join up with Birmingham Moor st station.
I meant the name will be reborn, as it is likely to be called Curzon Street.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Reading's station opened in 1840 had two station buildings on the same side of the track, one up and one down one of these was demolished and the other became the one still standing now, abeit with an italianate facade added and extended either side. However, the building is still attached to the station (the main west of england platform is immediately behind it), but it use is now the three guineas pub, which any football fans who have visited Reading might be familiar with as it's the designated away fans pub on matchdays.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I know Greenwich Station initially opened in December 1836, and its building originally dating from 1840 makes it one of the oldest in the world.

Even though the station has been expanded from 2 platforms to 4 and now includes the DLR too the station building itself hasn't been changed.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Premium Member
18,785 Posts
I know Greenwich Station initially opened in December 1836, and its building originally dating from 1840 makes it one of the oldest in the world.

Even though the station has been expanded from 2 platforms to 4 and now includes the DLR too the station building itself hasn't been changed.
Nope, the current Greenwich dates from 1840

The first Greenwich station was a temporary station opened December 1838, the original country end of the line was Deptford (Feb 1836)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts