SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 468 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oldham Thread

All I here is bad things about Oldham, well I live there and it is nothing like what people make it out to be. It might have had the race riots which shot Oldham into the spotlight for all bad reasons. If Oldham had the chance it could become a very nice and pleasent place. So I'd like to ask you all What do you think Oldham should do to earn back its good reputation?

GET OUR METROLINK BACK ON TRACK.

·
Registered
134 Posts
North Mnachester is very rejected, as the south gets most of the development however there have been huge improvements in and around oldham, it is actuly quite nice. but i must say that the population is not large enuf to support many big shops developments or buisnesses in the way that stockport is, due to the lower socio economic status of many occupants of that area. also transport links to oldham are atrocious!!!! oldham is north manc's stockport, but north manchester just dsnt have the money

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are two mid-rises just been approved by Oldham Council one is some Health centre/Hospital thing going up on Civic Centre car park which will be about 10 storys and 8 story appartments (the first nice ones for oldham) being built on Union street.Lets just hope they hurry up and build the trams then maybe Oldham might have a boom.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Just some pics ive found

Skyline seen from Salford

bus station and Civic centre

Oldham art gallery

Market hall

looking up High Street towords Spindles Shopping mall

The Old town Hall on a foggy Evening

Oldham Parish Church

Lifelong learning centre (under-construction)

Central Library

Alexandra park

Theatre

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Name:Oldham
Population:220,000
Area:7 miles North east of Manchester

This is Oldham's Skyline seen from Trafford wich is about 8.5 miles south east. For it's size and relatively close to Manchester I would say Oldham has a pretty good Skyline with about 10 Highrises to tallest which is the Civic Centre (15 storeys). The fact that its on a hill makes it seen from all around Greater Manchester. There are a few highrises planned for Oldham.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree its not much off one but i would say it was good compared to towns about the same size, e.g Stockport or Bolton.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
and i'd say eccles wipes the floor with all of them!

·
Mancunian Member
7,175 Posts
Hear, Hear! For a town of 40,000 compared to large metropolitan towns of 200,000, Eccles Kicks Ass! and it's got a crane in the town centre! Ner!

·
Banned
3,174 Posts
Choggers, I wouldn't brag about the crane too much. Ashton had one up until not too long ago and is due to have another going up shortly too. None of them are really towns any more though, they're simply suburbs. You just have to look at how the councils are encouraging developments which link them with the city even more to see this.

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
Eccles is most definately a suburb. All you have to do is drive through the town centre and see all the yippee doo fast transport links to Manchester city centre. Motorway, tram and bus. Having said that, I quite like the centre of Eccles.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stockport maybe but definatly not Ashton!!!!
I like the Co Op Bank Pyramid in Stockport. But the only tall thing in Ashton is the council offices and there only about 6 floors high

1 - 20 of 468 Posts