SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kenya has embarked on the construction of Africa’s biggest geothermal project. The US$1.3 billion Olkaria IV geothermal Plant, the most ambitious energy project since independence, was launched by President Mwai Kibaki and it will be built by a consortium of Japanese firms Toyota Tsusho Corporation and Hyundai Engineering and Construction from South Korea.

The geothermal project is expected to pump an additional 280MW into the national grid. Currently, the country has a total electricity generation capacity of 1500MW of which geothermal contributes 200MW despite having the capacity to generate up to 15,000MW.

http://constructionreviewonline.com...-news-intros/1072-olkaria-iv-geothermal-plant

·
Registered
13,850 Posts

·
Villeurbanne
4,587 Posts
Seems to be a great project for Kenya ! I hope it will be enough efficient !

Kenya Geothermal Picks Up Major Steam Around World's Second Largest Volcanic Crater
Kenya, Africa's largest geothermal producer, has discovered significant exploitable steam deposits in the world's second largest volcanic crater, a place also known as one of the area's main tourist attractions
http://www.energyboom.com/geothermal/kenya-geothermal-picks-major-steam-around-worlds-second-largest-volcanic-crater

·
Registered
13,850 Posts

·
Registered
13,850 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
1.3 billion dollars for only 280mw. smh
It will end up being cheap depending on the financing cost i.e. the interest rate. Operating costs are very low for geothermal so really it is simply about financing the loan. To drive the point home with 0% interest it could be 10 times more expensive and it would still be a great deal. You would just need to pick a long enough loan term.

In addition there are also no fuel costs, and the power is available 24/7. The fuel costs in normal power plants are very big.

So lets figure out the VERY rough LCOE assuming no interest and 25 year payback and ignoring operating costs.

Total Power over 25 years. = 59.3 TWH's assuming 98% plant uptime.

Divide this by the cost of 1.3 billion and it comes down to 2 cents per KwH. Huh Not Bad. Ok now assume financing costs double the cost and through in another factor. Lets make it 3 times and you get 6 cents per KwH. Still damn cheap.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
^^ umeongea kaa wanake kumi wenye mimba. :cheers:

·
Registered
437 Posts
It will end up being cheap depending on the financing cost i.e. the interest rate. Operating costs are very low for geothermal so really it is simply about financing the loan. To drive the point home with 0% interest it could be 10 times more expensive and it would still be a great deal. You would just need to pick a long enough loan term.

In addition there are also no fuel costs, and the power is available 24/7. The fuel costs in normal power plants are very big.

So lets figure out the VERY rough LCOE assuming no interest and 25 year payback and ignoring operating costs.

Total Power over 25 years. = 59.3 TWH's assuming 98% plant uptime.

Divide this by the cost of 1.3 billion and it comes down to 2 cents per KwH. Huh Not Bad. Ok now assume financing costs double the cost and through in another factor. Lets make it 3 times and you get 6 cents per KwH. Still damn cheap.
whatever you say mate. you lost me at LCOE...

·
Registered
5,056 Posts
Garang!,i have a question for ya!,Did they Finally compensate the Guys who wanted to stall the project!i saw it in the news Last Month,Hopefully they have done it becuase Kenya Needs cheap electricity inorder for Businesses to thrive.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Garang!,i have a question for ya!,Did they Finally compensate the Guys who wanted to stall the project!i saw it in the news Last Month,Hopefully they have done it becuase Kenya Needs cheap electricity inorder for Businesses to thrive.
Good luck getting Garang to smile at ya!!
He posts wonderful pictures though.

Reactions: Dhuks

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Some simple illustrations or labels would suffice though

1 - 20 of 98 Posts