SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Construction started in mid-1990s and is still ongoing.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Very nice pictures and a very nice town. But, I'm confused. Is it a new town being built under the old style....or....?

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
I think it's an "NEW old town" being built within an existing city. I wonder how large is this new district.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Have been in this town/city (never know where is divede between towns and cities - in Latvian language there is no such division). Have made pictures there in 1995.
This thread is interesting and makes to think. Olsztyn has quite much medieval architecture - it is very valuable in this sense. But in these pictures there are shown lots of Post-Modern (???) architecture - built to fit in with the medieval buildings. Many architects despise such buildings. But if you look at the pictures without prejudice - such buildings really look lovely, lively. F.e. these glass facades:

Do not like that they have used modern clinker cobblestone - it associates with gas stations, not medieval towns. But I understand that city could not do everything perfectly. Riga Old town made some streets too with them, unfortunately.

·
Iroquois of Europe
9,867 Posts
This "town" is the regional capital of the Warima Mazury Voivodship. :hilarious :|

·
8,171 Posts
Cool photos, I didn't know about that "reconstruction" ;) I think it looks nice and fits well to the historic parts of the city.

Timoth12 said:
Well, then, what is the population?
175 000 and still rising ;)

·
insatiable
309 Posts
Hmm i cant really say I like it, i think some of the modern buildings with the glass look kind of cheap when I look at the photos....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wow Olsztyn is very nice and clean, I've never been this far north in Poland. I do however, think that some of those old style buildings have too many windows (they just look to "glassy").

I agree with Gatis's comment on the cobblestone. I also believe they should have stuck with the old style.

Soboleus posted the population at 175,000. Do you guys know about the local industry? Where do people work / what kind of work is there? How's the unemployment rate?

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
SoboleuS said:
Cool photos, I didn't know about that "reconstruction" ;) I think it looks nice and fits well to the historic parts of the city.

175 000 and still rising ;)
It's a capital of a region with only 175k population?

·
:::::україн&#1
524 Posts
I love Olsztyn! :D It's got this old feeling to it.. I've been there twice 10 years ago and 2 years ago. I kinda still remember the planeterium.. lol but when i went 2 years ago, i guess i saw and remembered more.. it's old, but yet beautiful. :) bah, too bad i didn't bring a digital camera with me. What I also found interesting was that ukrainian catholic church across of the bus/train station. It had some modern architecture there.. :)
[/quote]
I'm also surprised that Giżycko is on the map. A lot of the people I mentioned it to didn't know about it. oh damn, all these memories are making me want to go back to Poland for the summer...

·
43 Posts
I live in Olsztyn. i must say that there are too few new buildings classified as a good architecture.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts