Skyscraper City Forum banner

Olympic Games 2020 in Lisbon. Yes or No? What is the best area of the city to receive the event? Pos

• Eastern Zone of Lisbon - Braço de Prata, Marvila, etc - very underused areas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jamor National Stadium - transformation into Olympic Stadium on the outskirts and the Olympic city

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Alta de Lisboa - in the area of the current airport that will leave this area

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Another area of Lisbon - specify which

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Olympic Games should take place in another Portuguese town - say what

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • another year for the Olympics Games in Lisbon or Portugal - specify which

Votes: 13 59.1%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GE partial view of Lisbon.

Lisbon have officially 600.000 inhabitants but the true city, the conurbation have 2 million people. The metro area have 3..

1. Eastern Zone of Lisbon
- Braço de Prata, Marvila, etc - very underused areas

2. Jamor National Stadium - transformation into Olympic Stadium on the outskirts and the Olympic city - the recovery of this stage was very good because it is very degraded

3. Alta de Lisboa - in the area of the current airport that will leave this area

:)

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
I find it ironic that the title asks "Yes or No?", but all of the options are basically different variations of "Yes".;)

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
It sounds kinda mean but I am not much in favor of holding them in small nations. As they are almost a national point of pride as much a anything I like the idea of giving large populations the chance to host the games. Is that attitude fair to small nations? No, but it makes sense to me.

·
Premium member
10,370 Posts
I don't see why Lisbon should get the olympics.

I would like to see the olympics in a muslim country. Perhaps Malaysia, Turkey or UAE. Nigeria is probably not develoepd enough by then (perhaps 2050). And Saudi Arbaia might be too conservative (might change though).

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
The only Muslim country that I see as "ready for it" given all the considerations one must take in is probably Turkey and I would like to see them get it soon.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
It sounds kinda mean but I am not much in favor of holding them in small nations.
I agree...it should go to nations that perform the best on the olimpics...number of medals by population in 2004 olimpics:

This clearly shows which nations take sports seriously,as they raise more % of their population to be good in sports...they deserve the olimpics most,not big nations,who have less good sportsmen(%)...

·
Banned
2,633 Posts
I find it ironic that the title asks "Yes or No?", but all of the options are basically different variations of "Yes".;)
My thoughts as well? I dont want to see another Olympics in Europe within the next 30-40 years! What makes europeans think that have a birthright to host the Games? Fuckit, The whole world is booming, so the inter-continental competition is getting fierce. :banana:

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
Should the Jamor National Stadium really serve as the main stadium for a Lisbon Olympics? There is one open end on the east of the stadium that I don not want to ruin which probably serves as the entrance to the stadium. And even if we upgraded it to a larger capacity, it would still look small. Should we waste money on a new national stadium built on another area of the city?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I hope Australia gets it, maybe Melbourne or Brisbane, Perth is nice. They put on the best games and I think as you can see on the tally , they get the second most medals by people per capita.

·
Put it in your mouth
7,111 Posts
What a stupid question. This should be in the Lisbon section. What's the point of asking us what part of the city the games should take place in, when not very many of us would have ever visited Lisbon and/or have no real knowledge about these areas?

Are you trying to get us all to say yes so that you can email these results onto the IOC and try to convince them to hold the games there?

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
The Estadio de Jamor is serving as the main stadium of the 2009 Lusophony Games. Maybe it woll serve as the main stadium of a Lisbon Olympic Games even though its capacoty is only 38,000.

·
Registered
283 Posts
morocco will get the olympics but wait not until 2188

1 - 20 of 52 Posts