SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive noticed how leeds has a population over 50000 and maybe should have some olypic activity.
ive recently been to almeria which hosted the 2005 mediterrainian games
the city of almeria is just 10000.
almeria spain isnt alf the size of leeds and i know its not in the med but still what about olypic activities like the international swimming games or the commenwealth,athletics or even europenan games theres loads of possibliities
can you imagine what it would do for the city and the centre.the meddeterainian games has helped almeria a lot and the area so its a possiblity
do u think?

·
Tax avoider
24,119 Posts
What on earth do you mean by "olypic activity"?

If you mean Leeds should try and host an international sporting event, then I'm not sure how much scope there is. If the city set its sights too high, then "what it would do for the city and the centre" might not be at all positive - Sheffield took a bit of a kick in the teeth by hosting the World Student Games in 1991, though it has been left with some decent sporting and cultural infrastructure...

If Leeds bid to host the European Cup athletics for example, the South Leeds stadium would have to be upgraded, the city would be in the spotlight for a weekend, and afterwards half the new seats would never feel the caress of a human bum...

·
Loiner and Proud.
1,263 Posts
I think that it would be very good for the city,
The city would need a proper stadium though elland road is old, south Leeds is too small and Headingley is also too small.
If something like this was to rely go ahead a super stadium would be needed.
Although if Leeds arena takes place we will be able to hold big “ice” events and lots of other indoor sporting events.

·
Unregistered User
4,129 Posts
Maybe Leeds hasn't got none, because there is no demand for it. Sheffield and Manchester both within 1 hours drive of Leeds have many Atheletic venues.

·
Loiner and Proud.
1,263 Posts
jozblade said:
Maybe Leeds hasn't got none, because there is no demand for it. Sheffield and Manchester both within 1 hours drive of Leeds have many Atheletic venues.
Of course Leeds needs one.
Its called been competitive with other cities. The demand is there!
We also need an arena as even today hard-fi are playing in millennium square and its outdoor, wet and very limited capacity.
We need a sporting event to put us even further on the map.
If we got an area and won the Eurovision song contest I would like to see it in Leeds as the contests are not usually held in the capitals and I know it’s a farce but it gets 60,000000 odd people knowing about Leeds.

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Leeds is slowly and quietly building quite a collection of sports facilities down at the newly name John Charles Centre for sport. Maybe not with capacity for international events, but certainly the facilities are high class.
We're gonna have athletics/rugby stadium (2,500 covered seating, plus standing capacity), 50m pool and diving pit, indoor/outdoor tennis, bowls, 5aside footy...

·
Registered
431 Posts
leeds the best said:
ive noticed how leeds has a population over 50000 and maybe should have some olypic activity.
ive recently been to almeria which hosted the 2005 mediterrainian games
the city of almeria is just 10000.
almeria spain isnt alf the size of leeds and i know its not in the med but still what about olypic activities like the international swimming games or the commenwealth,athletics or even europenan games theres loads of possibliities
can you imagine what it would do for the city and the centre.the meddeterainian games has helped almeria a lot and the area so its a possiblity
do u think?
Leeds' population is well over 50,000 mate, and I never complain about grammer, but all your posts seriosuly lack it.. its kinda hard to understand without reading each sentence twice... :gaah:

Eurovision Leeds? lol, the UK will never see a Eurovision at the rate were going.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts