Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw something in a newspaper about the 2004 income of different metropolitan areas. So I read some more into it online

I read that Omaha out of 179 Economic areas according to the Bureau of Economic analysis ranks #16 as far as income per capita. Also Douglas County, NE (which includes the city of Omaha) is 20% above the national average, in 1994 it was 11% above and in 1984 it was 10% above.

I know that Omaha with 400,000 people in the city also has 5 fortune 500 companies which must be in the top 10 for US cities.

University of Nebraska Medical Center is also growing like crazy, arent they gonna built a 2nd research tower there. Omaha should be called "the hospital city" for the amazing amount of hospitals.

·
Savior of Gondor
1,505 Posts
Where did you read that? We thought of moving there once and found the price of homes to be very low, which is good but the the incomes were low to match that. I find it hard to believe that it has changed that much.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rider_of_rohan said:
Where did you read that? We thought of moving there once and found the price of homes to be very low, which is good but the the incomes were low to match that. I find it hard to believe that it has changed that much.
I read that on the Bureau of Economic Analysis site.

The median housing price in Omaha is $133,000, the national average is $218,000 which means Omaha is almost 40% below the national average on median housing prices.

Alot of the reason for the low numbers is because the east side of Omaha has very, very low property values compared to other midwestern cities while the Western areas like Elkhorn and NW Omaha are more like suburbs in other cities. East Omaha has had a major population loss in the last 30 years and that decreases the median price for the entire city, especially since alot of immigrants are buying their homes in South Omaha towards the Bellevue line which has alot of homes that are fixer-uppers or havent been occupied for awhile.

Alot of the reason for the 20% above the national average on per-capita income is the fact its a MAJOR health care city and it has five fortune 500 companies in the city.

·
Savior of Gondor
1,505 Posts
Health care is where the money is these days..and that is why I am in health care. I make great money as an RN and I live in a small town. In fact I work in a town of 50,000 and make more money than nurses in Sioux Falls.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts