Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Fiercly Omahan
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took these a few weeks ago at the Joslyn Art Museum. Admission is free every Saturday until noon. Since it's a short walk from my house I headed over to get some pics. I found out I couldn't actually take pictures of the art work. I figured it would be no flash photography but they said that it had to do with rights to the pictures being reproduced. I snuck a few, subtle shots in though.

A sign of the U/C sculpture garden in front off the Joslyn.

The art-deco meets Greek exterior

The area where the sculpture garden is being built.
Central High School in the backgroun. Central is the largest high school in the state.
Central was also the old capital building until the capital was literally stolen from Omaha and moved to Lincoln.

Entering the Joslyn

Inside the main entrance. Notice the hunter statue shooting the deer from across the main hall.

The main court atrium

These are the doors to the Joslyn's Witherspoon Concert hall. It wasn't open but the hall is great. Big marble columns, plush detailed carpet. It's a nice place that host small touring acts from Leon Redbone to celebrity fundraisers.

Heading upstairs

Back Downstairs

Back upstairs again

We're now in the connection way between the old part of the museum and the "new" part. The other part is where the traveling exhibits are. That day it was art from the New Orleans museum. But since I couldn't take pics in there we'll stay in the atrium.

Looking towards the Durham Cafe underneath one of the two big Dale Chiluly pieces.

This is the other Chiluly piece. The people in the picture give you a sense of how big that glass sculpture is. A few years ago Chiluly had a month long engagement at the Joslyn where he made these two signature pieces. It was very cool he set up a glass blowing shop outside and had a whole crew of people here for the whole month. The exhibit was awesome.

I love the simplicity of the modern wing with the glass against the older part of the Joslyn.

First National peaking through

And it's time to go home. Hope you enjoyed the Joslyn. Until next time...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts