SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
The $250 million Midtown Crossing development in Midtown Omaha is well underway. On what was once a sea of parking lots adjacent to the Mutual of Omaha and Mutual of Omaha Bank Headquarters, Midtown Crossing will have 7 mixed use buildings ranging in height from 7-11 stories. The development is centered around an expanded Turner Park and will feature a Douglas Movie Theater, Prairie Life Fitness Center, and a full service grocer (yet to be announced). The project will have 220,000 square feet of retail/ restaurant space, 297 condos, and 268 apartments.

Midtown Crossing

Site Plan:

Rendering:

Models:

I can see the future already...

Great infill for Omaha!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Love this development! Thanks for the updates. will this will spark a few more projects in the area of similiar density? hopefully the area will continue to become more fluid and dense

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Love this development! Thanks for the updates. will this will spark a few more projects in the area of similiar density? hopefully the area will continue to become more fluid and dense
So far, I haven't heard anything about nearby projects. I have heard rumors that Mutual may potentially expand the project to include office, but that speculation has been pretty quiet for a while. One of the hopes is that this project will help spawn redevelopment in the Park East area (the gap between downtown and midtown.

If I were to guess anything, I would say that the Twin Towers (those ugly white and gray buildings on the right of DTO's photo), which are currently vacant, will be purchased by a developer and renovated. Other than that, I can only dream.

·
Fiercly Omahan
397 Posts
Only the North Tower was vacant and that was only until 3 years ago. The south tower was still very much in use and full of residents.

I had looked at buying a place in the South Tower and was shocked to find both buildings were originally built in 1919 and were stripped down to the girders and rebuilt/re-clad in the 50's. There have already been some improvements made to small residential apartment buildings in the immediate area. The project is already sparking change.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Construction on this project is chugging along. The elevator shafts for most of the main buildings are almost complete and hopefully we will see some steel in a few weeks!

The developer is currently looking into adding a full service hotel to the project.

From the Omaha World Herald:
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1208&u_sid=10268888
Several hotel companies have approached Mutual with proposals, spokesman Jim Nolan said Tuesday, but the original plans didn't include a hotel and so far there's nothing to announce.

"We're exploring those possibilities," Nolan said, and considering such questions as whether a hotel would fit the project's physical layout, its financial projections and its planned usage.
Update as of 3/25:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Boy its been way too long since I updated you all on this project.

Since my last update, this project has just been booming with construction. Building 4, which is located in the middle of the project, has reached the 7th or 8th floor and should be topping out in a matter of weeks. The other buildings aronud it are also starting to take shape. According to recent news stories, condo sales and apartment rentals have been going well and there are rumors that a hotel with a "W" in it will locate there (Weston or W). The movie theater is now also official. It will be a 5 screen Marcus Theatre and will be located on the western edge of the development in building 6.

Here is a construction photo from the webcam:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A credible poster over on eomahaforums.com posted a on the rumors board the other day a few tenants he heard from a relyable source.

Here is the post:
DTO Luv said:
I heard from a very reliable source that MTC will have a Westin hotel there. It's not speculation according to them.

Also other tenants I heard that were named were J. Crew, H&M, Chick Fila, and Trader Joe's.

I also heard that likely tenants would be either a Macy's or Nordstrom's. There is a group of investors looking at a Joe's Crab Shack but that one is iffy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HUGE news today.

Midtown Crossing hotel unveiled

http://omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1208&u_sid=10442739

A 132-room hotel owned by Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide will be part of the landscape at Midtown Crossing at Turner Park.

Called Element Omaha Midtown Crossing, it will be the New York-based Starwood's first property in Omaha. The hotel is scheduled to open in late 2010 at the mixed-use development.

Inspired by Westin Hotels & Resorts, another Starwood brand, Element is Starwood's newest hotel concept, the company said. It features an "eco-friendly" design that includes energy-efficient appliances and water-efficient faucets and fixtures.
Rendering from Dodge Street:

Site Map:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm super excited for this one. This part of town has needed some lovin' for quite awhile. It will also distract you from the ugly Mutual of Omaha building.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I really disagree with you that the Mutual of Omaha buildings are ugly, but to each their own.

Nothing really exciting to update here. Construction is just chugging along. The facade and windows are being installed on buildings 3, 4, and 5, and buildings 2, 6, and 7 are starting to take shape. Building 1 still hasn't really started yet, but that is where the recently announced hotel will be, so maybe they are waiting on them.

Here is a recent blurb in the Omaha World Herald about the project:

here is the view of the project from KETV's (ABC channel 7) webcam:

As you can see, this project is really taking shape. It will be a great addition to the area. Also the ugly white building in the lower left corner of this picture has been bought by a developer, who plans to renovate the building (no specific plans have been released). This is going to be quite the area once these projects are finished!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts