Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Omaha is a great success story. It has quietly but effectively turned itself from a mid-sized, dull, insurance city, to a walkable, booming, and diverse place. The city has come a LONG way and is the epitome of the urban revival occuring across this country.

·
Banned
892 Posts
Surprisingly I've never even been there, but having seen countless photos, read articles about the city, and heard first hand accounts of Omaha....here are my thoughts......

It kinda reminds me of a smaller version of KC. There seem to be industrial buildings like in KC and it sits on the MO River and state line as well. I hear the ethnic make-up of the city is very similar to KC also. Probably not as many blacks percentage wise, but I know there's plenty of Mexicans up there. I've heard great things about the condo boom going on, especially around the Old Market area which seems very similar to KC's Crossroads District/River Market neighborhood. If you like cold weather, it seems like it would be a good relocation spot. I'm not partial to cold weather so KC is about as far north as I'll go. You look at cities like Des Moines, Madison, and MPLS and it's apparent that the winters aren't as big of a deterrent for most people as they are for me, because all of these cities are growing and doing very well. I really don't see any end in sight for Omaha's growth.

·
1981 Civic
2,911 Posts
What do I think of Omaha?

I think Omaha is underrated. It's representative of the Midwest as a whole but yet it has an urban feel to it. And it's not as small as people think; 900,000 people is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

I've said this before but Omaha gets an extra notch in my book because of Gabrielle Union. :drool:

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
My thoughts on Omaha is that it's pretty far north...a very long day's drive for me.

Once I get there I'm always impressed. Dodge Road is a high-class urban arterial, the Josslyn is a wonderful art museum, the scenery around town is decent, and the city all-together is very clean and well-maintained.

The CBD of Omaha really doesn't leave that much of an impression on me usually. However the Old Market more than makes up for the impression...

·
Banned
499 Posts
I'm sort of impressed with the two taller buildings -- especially the newer, taller one. That has a nice look, and seems well-illuminated. I'd love to see something like that one in Milwaukee. The other square-shaped building appears sort of ho hum, yet adds to the skyline. Otherwise, I don't know much about Omaha.

·
Savior of Gondor
1,505 Posts
I give it two thumbs up. I have been there in the past and the new pictures are showing a lot of improvement. The future looks bright in Omaha.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I lived in Omaha for 7 years in the late 80's and early 90's, stationed at Offutt AFB. I really do miss that city. Last visited in 2001 during the College World Series. Had a blast!

·
Registered
511 Posts
Is Lincoln in Omaha's MSA? If not, why not? They are less than an hour apart. If Lincoln was considered part of the MSA, that would put the Omaha, Council Bluffs, Lincoln MSA on par with Louisville and Memphis, which is pretty impressive.

Maybe people with more info can shed some light on how much interaction there is between the cities. They are so close so I am sure there is regular travel between the cities and probably some people live in Lincoln and work in Omaha and vice versa, but there does not seem to be much development at all between the cities. There should be lots of little suburb communities between the cities so that families could split the difference. Anyway, seems a little odd. Care to explain?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Surprisingly I've never even been there, but having seen countless photos, read articles about the city, and heard first hand accounts of Omaha....here are my thoughts......

It kinda reminds me of a smaller version of KC. There seem to be industrial buildings like in KC and it sits on the MO River and state line as well. I hear the ethnic make-up of the city is very similar to KC also. Probably not as many blacks percentage wise, but I know there's plenty of Mexicans up there. I've heard great things about the condo boom going on, especially around the Old Market area which seems very similar to KC's Crossroads District/River Market neighborhood. If you like cold weather, it seems like it would be a good relocation spot. I'm not partial to cold weather so KC is about as far north as I'll go. You look at cities like Des Moines, Madison, and MPLS and it's apparent that the winters aren't as big of a deterrent for most people as they are for me, because all of these cities are growing and doing very well. I really don't see any end in sight for Omaha's growth.
kcmetro,
I have enjoyed may of your post and comments, but one comment you seem to make is about weather and how KC is so much warmer than certain cities. I not sure the actually stats support that info.

(from weather.com)
January average high in KC is 38. Here are few cities to compare that to.
Cincinnati average January high is 39, Indianapolis average January high is 34 and Omaha average January high is 32 (a little colder, but not a big difference).

I am not sure 4 or 5 degrees makes a place that much more tropical.

I not trying to be bust your chops, justs trying to see why you frequently like to discuss how much warm the weather is in KC compared to some other midwest cities when the stats really don't support that.:)

·
Banned
892 Posts
kcmetro,
I have enjoyed may of your post and comments, but one comment you seem to make is about weather and how KC is so much warmer than certain cities. I not sure the actually stats support that info.

(from weather.com)
January average high in KC is 38. Here are few cities to compare that to.
Cincinnati average January high is 39, Indianapolis average January high is 34 and Omaha average January high is 32 (a little colder, but not a big difference).

I am not sure 4 or 5 degrees makes a place that much more tropical.

I not trying to be bust your chops, justs trying to see why you frequently like to discuss how much warm the weather is in KC compared to some other midwest cities when the stats really don't support that.:)
Every degree counts to me. I HATE cold weather! :lol:

But yeah, to most people they wouldn't really notice a big difference between Omaha and KC. But I most likely would.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Its a nice place,
but I'v only been there once. Its nice city, the old market is pretty nice. Downtown is nice too. I really like some of the old houses there.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Is Lincoln in Omaha's MSA? If not, why not? They are less than an hour apart. If Lincoln was considered part of the MSA, that would put the Omaha, Council Bluffs, Lincoln MSA on par with Louisville and Memphis, which is pretty impressive.

Maybe people with more info can shed some light on how much interaction there is between the cities. They are so close so I am sure there is regular travel between the cities and probably some people live in Lincoln and work in Omaha and vice versa, but there does not seem to be much development at all between the cities. There should be lots of little suburb communities between the cities so that families could split the difference. Anyway, seems a little odd. Care to explain?
There are 30-45 minutes of completely undeveloped rural pastureside between Omaha and Lincoln. Once you get near crossing the river on I-80 heading west, you're very far removed from all things Omaha.

Lincoln was included for a while but last year they changed that and Lincoln and Omaha no longer have a CMSA. If they did then Cincy and Louisville and OKC and Tulsa had might as well have a CMSA.

Lincoln is not very interesting anyway. Stick with Omaha is my advice.

·
Registered
511 Posts
There are 30-45 minutes of completely undeveloped rural pastureside between Omaha and Lincoln. Once you get near crossing the river on I-80 heading west, you're very far removed from all things Omaha.

Lincoln was included for a while but last year they changed that and Lincoln and Omaha no longer have a CMSA. If they did then Cincy and Louisville and OKC and Tulsa had might as well have a CMSA.

Lincoln is not very interesting anyway. Stick with Omaha is my advice.
Omaha to Lincoln = 58 miles
Louisville to Cincinnati = 100 miles
Tulsa to OKC = 107 miles

It is a little different because people are not likely to live in one city and work in the other with Louisville/Cincy and Tulsa/OKC. But, if you lived in Omaha's western burb's, it would be like a 40 min. drive to work at the government buildings in Lincoln.

I see this as much closer to Cincy/Dayton. They are merging MSAs in 2010, if not already. Here is the distance

Cincinnati to Dayton = 56 miles.
Omaha to Lincoln = 58 miles.

I realize Cincy is a bigger city and thus has suburbs that extend further, but it seems like these cities should be connected. I was just wondering why they are not.

·
Front Range expatriate
1,046 Posts
When I lived in Colorado and Wyoming, I stayed with relatives in Omaha every time I drove home to Milwaukee (it's roughly halfway). I did get out into the city several times and I was always impressed. It always feels much larger than it's 800,000 population would suggest. In fact, I like Omaha so much, that when I left the military, I seriously considered relocating to Omaha, but came back to brewtown for family reasons. I'd still consider moving there in the future. Now, if only you folks there in Nebraska can do something about that opressive humidity from April unitl November...

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Whosville, it's a theoretical. Also Cincy and Dayton are considered by many as eastern cities, and for what it's worth the whole state of Ohio is turning into a Boston-Washington. I can name other metros that are separate but close...

This is not Chicago and Milwaukee, two cities that ARE connected by a continuous flow of urbanized land.

that oppressive humidity from April until November...
It usually doesn't feel oppressively humid in Omaha, and it never gets as hot as where I come from, so for me Omaha's weather is always an upgrade. My most significant Omaha weather story is I remember last Christmas I was driving through Omaha to stay with relatives in Sioux City, I had stopped earlier in Topeka and it was still in the 50s, but when I had to get gas in Council Bluffs I was literally shocked (I hadn't noticed the temp dropping) when it was in the 20s with a brisk wind...

By the way, for what it's worth, I thought you guys might like to know that Omaha has a current downtown unit count (planned, u/c, recently completed) in the ballpark of 1,500. :)

This will be Omaha's skyline when they finish the Wall Street Tower.

·
Cory
3,403 Posts
Honestly, two things stick out for me concerning Omaha. First, when I was a kid I would watch those animal shows on Saturday mornings and they were always sponsered by Mutual of Omaha. Secondly, the Counting Crows song, "Omaha...somewhere in middle America."

Obviously I think of Nebraska, which, even for someone from Indiana, immediately conjurs up an image of wheat fields and flat land.

Is that Wall Street Tower even U/C?

1 - 20 of 87 Posts