Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of you dear friends ! :)
(especially to our friend SK , Kuvvaci and all the turkish friends of agora )
i would like to show few photos of Ömeriye Camii (mosque) and meriye Ömeriye (emerike) Bath (HAMAM) in the old town of Nicosia.

The recently restored and completely renovated Ömeriye Turkish Baths of Nicosia ( Οθωμανικά Λουτρά Ομεριέ Λευκωσίας )

Address : Tyllirias Square, Old Town Nicosia

And some very good news first :

March 2006
WINNERS OF ANNUAL EUROPEAN UNION PRIZE FOR CULTURAL
HERITAGE

EUROPA NOSTRA AWARDS ANNOUNCED

Awards will be presented in June by H.M. Queen Sofia of Spain at Palacio Real de El Pardo, Madrid

Among the 5 Top Prices (5 categories) are the Omeriye Baths of Nicosia :

Conservation of Architectural Heritage:
to the 16th century Omeriye Ottoman Baths, Nicosia (Cyprus) located in one of the most neglected areas of the walled city. Their restoration and modernisation enabled to retain the traditional use, and has greatly contributed to upgrading the building environment and to preserving and promoting the multicultural character of the city.
Close view of the entrance (May 2006)

The hamam is operating every day (Sundays are only for women) . It was the first hamam in the 1500s and today it is fully equipped with modern necessities and impressively decorated.

View of the Hamam (May 2006)

Ömeriye Camii

Converted into a mosque in 1571 by Mustapha Pasha, who believed that the original 14th century Augustinian church of St. Mary's, was built on the spot where prophet Omer rested when visiting Nicosia. Most of the original building was destroyed by Ottoman artillery. Engraved tombstones of the Lusignan period were used to re-floor the mosque. Remains of late Venetian building can be seen near the east end of the mosque.

View of the building today (May 2006)

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Για ρίξε μια ματια προς το CityScapes forum να δεις τι κάνουνε οι "φίλοι" σου.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Προμηθέα δεν είχα καν προσέξει τo thread που μου είπες , τώρα το είδα..
Τέλος πάντων η αναφορά μου προφανώς έχει να κάνει για εκείνα τα άτομα που κρατάνε χαμηλούς τόνους και μένουν μακριά από φανατισμό. Σε εκείνους που ανεξάρτητα με την καταγωγή τους αγαπούν την Ελλάδα με τα καλά της και τα στραβά της και επισκέπτονται την ελληνική αγορά για να δούνε ωραίες φωτογραφίες , να διαβάσουν απόψεις αλλά και άρθρα για την σύγχρονη ελλάδα και τον ελληνικό πολιτισμό μέσα στους αιώνες αλλά και για τα προβλήματα που την ταλαιπωρούν.
Γιατί πολύ απλά να μην αγνοήσουμε όσους δημιουργούν προβλήματα και προκαλούν με τις δημοσιεύσεις τους?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Skaros said:
Τέλος πάντων η αναφορά μου προφανώς έχει να κάνει για εκείνα τα άτομα που κρατάνε χαμηλούς τόνους και μένουν μακριά από φανατισμό. Σε εκείνους που ανεξάρτητα με την καταγωγή τους αγαπούν την Ελλάδα με τα καλά της και τα στραβά της και επισκέπτονται την ελληνική αγορά για να δούνε ωραίες φωτογραφίες , να διαβάσουν απόψεις αλλά και άρθρα για την σύγχρονη ελλάδα και τον ελληνικό πολιτισμό μέσα στους αιώνες αλλά και για τα προβλήματα που την ταλαιπωρούν.
Γιατί πολύ απλά να μην αγνοήσουμε όσους δημιουργούν προβλήματα και προκαλούν με τις δημοσιεύσεις τους?
Ένταξη φιλε το μονο που ήθελα να πω είναι ότι ο Kuvacci δεν είναι φίλος σε μας εδώ στην Αγορά.

Αλλα πολύ οράο post και φωτογραφίες. Το έκανα post στο "Republic of Cyprus" thread στο άλλο forum. :) :)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Very nice pictures!

Thanks for posting. Hope to visit there someday. :)

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
This is 2nd message in a row I delete in this thread. The next one ( you know who you are ) who will try to play the smart guy will brigged for 1 week.

Political discussions in the english language are NOT allowed in the H.A.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=323732

Back to the topic.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
@skaros
thanks!!!

i saw some time ago some pics of the interior of the hamam and it looks very nice.
a norwegian friend of mine who visited it said it is a 5 star hamam ,if such a classification can exist.
i will try to find those pics

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ευχαριστώ φίλε SK και Προμηθέα ! :)
Και εγώ πάντως έτσι άκουσα ότι είναι πολύ ωραίο μέσα , αν πας καμιά μέρα πάρε και τη μηχανή μαζί .

·
27,300 Posts
So that we make a statement. We rebuilt and preserve your cultural sights and you turn ours into stables. Hopefully they will follow our example.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Because just like the Roman theater of Curium, the French castle Kolossi and the Venetian walls of Nicosia, they (the monuments from the ottoman period) are a part of the architectural heritage of our country and part of our history. By preserving them we not only benefit by attracting tourists to see them, but first of all we benefit ourselves because the result is the improvement and beautification of our city, which
unfortunately despite having a very long history, has very few surviving architectural monuments to show for it. Just my two cents...

·
27,300 Posts
^^ The problem with us is that when something is old aka more than 50 years old we demolish it and build something modern. We have no respect whatsoever for our beautiful neo-classical style. Take a look at the old neighbourhoods in cypriot cities. Europe is not like that. They just build somewhere else. That's why they have so beautiful cities and Cypriots flock to see them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i agree but hopefully now we can rescue what can be saved. does anyone knows something about the Papadopoulou theater in old Nicosia that was a miniature of the Skala tou Milano; it was demolished to build a factory or a tall building back in the 60´s. that was something stupid i have seen pictures and it was so beautyfull

1 - 20 of 33 Posts