SkyscraperCity banner

381 - 400 of 407 Posts

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
"In 2018, we could not continue with construction because a contractor had not been awarded.
In 2019, we could not continue with construction because mumblemumblesomethingmoneymumble...
In 2020, we can not continue with construction because of the coronavirus.
Yes, this is definitely the coronavirus' fault, and not because the project was a poorly planned waste of money for vanity's sake. Our hands and feet were tied, we could do nothing about it. But there's only the coronavirus between us and the completion of this tower, so you should definitely buy into the residential projects we're building around it!"

·
Registered
33 Posts

I recetly found a new Design of the Towers Plaza, officially from Emaar:

At the foot of Dubai Creek Tower, an exciting experiential destination awaits. Dubai Creek Plaza is a clock-shaped haven of landscaping, palm trees and water features stretching across 0.5 kilometre of land – the length of ten Olympic-sized swimming pools. Wander from the tower to the plaza to the innovative retail destination through a cutting-edge underground extension or enjoy various events at the spectacular Dubai Creek Plaza amphitheatre.
Dubai Creek Beach - Emaar

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
Just one thing I noticed is when I turned on the TV last night (Which I basically almost never do), I was checking Dubai TV and to my surprise an animation of this tower rising from the sand was put between commercials.

This tower is still given so much attention although it is not progressing

·
Registered
31 Posts
"In 2018, we could not continue with construction because a contractor had not been awarded.
In 2019, we could not continue with construction because mumblemumblesomethingmoneymumble...
In 2020, we can not continue with construction because of the coronavirus.
Yes, this is definitely the coronavirus' fault, and not because the project was a poorly planned waste of money for vanity's sake. Our hands and feet were tied, we could do nothing about it. But there's only the coronavirus between us and the completion of this tower, so you should definitely buy into the residential projects we're building around it!"
Most countries boycotting China may be Chinese companies will build this in less cost now

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Most countries boycotting China may be Chinese companies will build this in less cost now
Maybe eventually, but right at the moment, I think there's too much uncertainty in the economy for Emaar to restart the construction. International travel has come to a screeching halt, and that's on top of the already-existing problem of oversupply in the property market - hardly a good time to pour billions into constructing a new landmark.

Plus, the tower was conceived as a way to take the titles of tallest tower in the world and tallest observation platform in Dubai back to Emaar - but Emaar already holds these titles more safely than ever, as its respective competitors in Jeddah and Meydan One have stalled hard. Burj Khalifa remains the tallest tower in the business and will do so for the foreseeable future, and it doesn't make any sense to build a competitor for it. Who would want to upstage their own business, doubling operation costs to keep two similar attractions running, while splitting the revenue? It makes more sense for them to enjoy their status as top dog for now, sell whatever apartments they can build around Downtown Dubai and pocket the profits, rather than throwing untold billions into an attempt to repeat the feat in uncertain economic times.

In short, as Dubai Creek Tower marks its second anniversary since construction stopped, I don't see it starting again just yet. Good thing that the big lump of concrete isn't going anywhere and isn't expensive to maintain, so the tower can sit comfortably on hold at low cost for decades if need be, and be ready to spring into construction on short notice when it one day makes sense to do so.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Not sure if this is much of an update, but there are no longer any renders or mentions of Dubai Creek Tower on Emaar's Dubai Creek Harbour website. The tower featured prominently in the background on the main page as recently as a month ago. It does not appear in the background of renders in any of the project sub-pages either. I'm not sure if I'm navigating their website correctly, but I can't find any references to Dubai Creek outside the Harbour itself.

The Creek Beach website linked above is still live and still lists the tower and a few other projects, but these aren't linked to from Emaar's main website. One gets the impression they have scaled down the entire Dubai Creek plan to only Dubai Creek Harbour for the foreseeable future. As the tower is on the mainland, it's not being worked on.

For the record, Reuters reported back in April that work on the tower was being suspended. Emaar's chairman, Mohamed Alabbar, responded that it wasn't, but his reply was one of the most childish, ranting, and non-substantial I have ever seen. If that sort of response was given on these forums, he'd have gotten warning points over it.

So yeah, it seems like Emaar themselves are publicly denouncing any rumours that the tower isn't being built, but quietly removing any mentions of it from their website and refusing to speak of it when asked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure if this is much of an update, but there are no longer any renders or mentions of Dubai Creek Tower on Emaar's Dubai Creek Harbour website. The tower featured prominently in the background on the main page as recently as a month ago. It does not appear in the background of renders in any of the project sub-pages either. I'm not sure if I'm navigating their website correctly, but I can't find any references to Dubai Creek outside the Harbour itself.

The Creek Beach website linked above is still live and still lists the tower and a few other projects, but these aren't linked to from Emaar's main website. One gets the impression they have scaled down the entire Dubai Creek plan to only Dubai Creek Harbour for the foreseeable future. As the tower is on the mainland, it's not being worked on.

For the record, Reuters reported back in April that work on the tower was being suspended. Emaar's chairman, Mohamed Alabbar, responded that it wasn't, but his reply was one of the most childish, ranting, and non-substantial I have ever seen. If that sort of response was given on these forums, he'd have gotten warning points over it.

So yeah, it seems like Emaar themselves are publicly denouncing any rumours that the tower isn't being built, but quietly removing any mentions of it from their website and refusing to speak of it when asked.
Very good observation. I noticed the same too on the Emaar Website! Who knows what this means!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes @Kyll.Ing. That is definitely a noteworthy development. Especially when you navigate to the page for Creek Palace - the main selling point used to be that they were directly facing the Tower.

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
Well I will not read much into it .. as in the big render with all the lights and show is still standing in the middle of Dubai mall, plus it is always popping in commercials on Dubai TV.

The only reason for it to be removed is because construction is delayed for the time being.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm sure the tower will eventually be built. Emaar needs the tower to sell an entire community of buildings but as others have said, the full project is likely suspended for a good while now. I wouldn't be surprised if the whole mainland section is on hold for a decade as one of the government's many measures for managing the excessive real estate supply.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Nice video, although it only summarizes what we've been saying in the thread for a while: It was meant for a competition where all the competitors left, and real estate in Dubai hasn't been doing particularly well in recent years. Interestingly, they repeat that Emaar claims it will be built by 2022, which seems laughably unlikely given the price tag and the abovementioned factors.

·
12,490 Posts
Burj al Gazali is a building in a video game, doesn't exist in real life.
This is sort of off topic, but since it came up: I was excited to find out that a map in Hitman 3 was set in Dubai. But when I saw it, I was incredibly disappointed - not only did they make up the tower that the mission plays in, they also made up a fantasy skyline. That map has literally nothing to do with Dubai.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The game offerings that the game city was Dubai.but in the game there is nothing like Dubai why this happened I didn't understand

381 - 400 of 407 Posts