SkyscraperCity banner

401 - 407 of 407 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I think this party is over.
On the other hand, that big lump of concrete isn't going anywhere, and there are no other plans presented for the site. They could feasibly wait for decades with this thing, and restart construction on relatively short notice. It's not like the site of Chicago Spire or Plaza Rakyat, where groundwater seepage made the foundations unusable within a few years. This thing is in a desert, so they could even bury the foundations and plant a park on top of it, and it would still be ready for construction to resume after a couple weeks of excavations. Even a villa district could be torn down within a few years. I'd say the tower is merely on hold until we either formally hear Emaar cancel it, until permissions are publically revoked, or until something substantial is built inside the site of the stayed cables.

·
Super Moderator
11,208 Posts
So what did you except? Emaar to start this tower when the world is battling a financial crisis and a deadly pandemic? They moved the model because there is no use to have it front and centre when Dubai Creek Harbour Masterplan is delayed.
My words are not the bible, the whole masterplan is still plastered with this tower in the Emaar sales center next to waterfalls front and centre of Dubai Mall.
Emaar's focus is downtown, all projects are picking up speed .. in case anyone cares about some good news.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The construction of DCT will restart when the Jeddah Tower will restart. Maybe in a decade, but mark my words, they will restart it then. Probably with an updated design, who cares.

My point is, Dubai isn't giving away its world record for the tallest structure anytime soon. If there's no competition for this title, then there's no need for them to compete with themselves.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
The construction of DCT will restart when the Jeddah Tower will restart. Maybe in a decade, but mark my words, they will restart it then. Probably with an updated design, who cares.

My point is, Dubai isn't giving away its world record for the tallest structure anytime soon. If there's no competition for this title, then there's no need for them to compete with themselves.
I'd say the construction of the Meydan One tower could catalyze the construction of this too. Meydan One would not be the tallest tower in the world - or even in Dubai - but it would have the highest observation deck, and take that record away from Emaar. It would draw tourists, ironically partially because it would have a nice view of Burj Khalifa from the outside. Emaar might decide it to be worth it to take the record back.

It wouldn't necessarily have to be Meydan One either. Any observation deck in Dubai (close-ish to Downtown) taller than that of Burj Khalifa would probably do. Those are proposed relatively often, and only one would have to come to fruition for Emaar to consider reviving Dubai Creek Tower.

Besides, if the economic climate is good enough for a competitor to Burj Khalifa to appear, it would probably be good enough for Dubai Creek Tower as well.

401 - 407 of 407 Posts