SkyscraperCity banner

What's your opinion of this building?

• Total voters
1821 - 1840 of 3904 Posts

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I am desperately wanting to be an admirer of this building but so far not. I find the 'rear' bulge so ugly and ungainly. I call it the hunchback of Southwark. Perhaps my initial thoughts will change when it eventually takes shape but, if this is still the incarnation of Ian Simpson then I am not optimistic. It depends on the final cladding. If they decide on something to economise, as with several other proposals, then this could turn out to be rather monstrous in just about the most prominent location. The flats beside are atrocious. Pity they cannot reclad the exterior. This should have been a condition in the development!

·
BLAND
8,855 Posts
Nice palm tree :lol:
Yes. Its a Cordyline actually, but everyone refers to them as palms. Completely hardy in central London. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordyline_australis

I maintain that we need more evergreen planting. Personally,I think they set off modern buildings really well. I hope they are left there. Cordylines architectural stature really works well.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The reduction in height stinks. Still, worthy building and a catalyst to another cluster. What a potentially awesome location, about as good as it gets. Can someone put this in the construction forum getting tired of going back and forth. Thank you.

·
Like 'Berg'
6,496 Posts
After the Cheese grater, this is the next 'must have' proposal of London, so glad to know it is going ahead and despite the height reduction, it is still going to soar being on the water front and the notion towards polished metal cladding behind the glazing sounds amazing.

·
Barcelona lover
7,412 Posts
Love this Skyscraper as a Londoner. Sadly they decreased the height. Wish it was the original height. :)
The height has been scaled down, yes, but to me it will still be the best tower in London (by far), I'm really looking forward to it.:)

·
Registered
869 Posts
The Bishopsgate tower can't rank anywhere until it gets built, which is looking quite unlikely right now. At least 1 Blackfriars Road is going up.

·
Registered
524 Posts
The Bishopsgate tower can't rank anywhere until it gets built, which is looking quite unlikely right now. At least 1 Blackfriars Road is going up.
Well then surely 1 Blackfriar's Road cannot rank anywhere either... The surety of construction doesn't help a buildings aesthetics if that's what you're implying.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
oh this one is actually going up now? bum. Having voted "Hate it! Awful design, unsuitable height and location" I was hoping it would be a quiet victim of the economic blah blah. Oh well - now I'll just shut up and hope it pleasantly surprises me by looking much better in reality than in renders, like 20FS.

1821 - 1840 of 3904 Posts