Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this yesterday in the Transport subforum but I don't think many people have seen it yet - so I'm sticking it here in the hope that some of you can get yourselves to WH Smiths today and have a look at this latest farce courtesy of our friends at Network Rail.

If you want further proof that this country is really going down the pan with regard to sheer negligence when it comes to getting words spelt right in important advertisement campaigns, then look no further than this glossy double page spread advert that I spotted in the recent edition of the fortnightly RAIL magazine (June 8th - 22nd issue).

Honestly - you'd think they'd at least employ a fucking proof reader or two to spell check everything before it goes to print.

Just how fucking embarrassing is this?

:no: :no:

I will be sending a JPG of this same image to the bods at Network Rail direct to see what they have got to say about this frankly ridiculous oversight. The fact they can't even get the name of the station right just shows how blind they must be to such a glaringly obvious mistake.

To be honest, this sort of thing just isn't even funny anymore now as all it does is prove that this country is dumbing down to such an alarming degree that silly spelling errors like these are being made on an almost daily basis from designers who really should know better than to allow them to slip through in the first place.

·
Registered
24,341 Posts
that silly spelling errors like these are being made on an almost daily basis from designers
Designers don't make text mistakes, it's the job of a proof reader or whoever wrote the copy in the first place. A designer just lays out the text he or she is given to work with.

The designer may not have spoken english or known Cannon Street has a double n. A spellcheck wouldn't have picked this up either, and a proofreader can't catch everything.

I really think you need to get out more if you consider this one error an excuse to believe Britain is dumbing down, especially for someone whose signature is hardly an example of high intellect.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I posted this yesterday in the Transport subforum but I don't think many people have seen it yet - so I'm sticking it here in the hope that some of you can get yourselves to WH Smiths today and have a look at this latest farce courtesy of our friends at Network Rail.

If you want further proof that this country is really going down the pan with regard to sheer negligence when it comes to getting words spelt right in important advertisement campaigns, then look no further than this glossy double page spread advert that I spotted in the recent edition of the fortnightly RAIL magazine (June 8th - 22nd issue).

Honestly - you'd think they'd at least employ a fucking proof reader or two to spell check everything before it goes to print.

Just how fucking embarrassing is this?

:no: :no:

I will be sending a JPG of this same image to the bods at Network Rail direct to see what they have got to say about this frankly ridiculous oversight. The fact they can't even get the name of the station right just shows how blind they must be to such a glaringly obvious mistake.

To be honest, this sort of thing just isn't even funny anymore now as all it does is prove that this country is dumbing down to such an alarming degree that silly spelling errors like these are being made on an almost daily basis from designers who really should know better than to allow them to slip through in the first place.

Chill out - it's only a typo!! Hardly a reflection of the state of the country. Jesus, talk about an over-reaction!

·
Viking
1,078 Posts
Maybe as part of the redevelopment they will also rename the station, now sponsored by Canon :)

It's a typo, big deal :p

·
Lincoln - London - Greece
605 Posts
I think standards are important, and it is a shame they made the error, but I would be more concerned if they'd spelt 'investing' wrong. I don't think many people would realise how to spell 'Cannon' in this context without thinking about it?

Personally, I am more concerned about the UFO to the left of the photo!

:lol:

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Oh the indifference, the apathy! Thats whats gone wrong with this country.

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Designers don't make text mistakes, it's the job of a proof reader or whoever wrote the copy in the first place. A designer just lays out the text he or she is given to work with.

The designer may not have spoken english or known Cannon Street has a double n. A spellcheck wouldn't have picked this up either, and a proofreader can't catch everything.

I really think you need to get out more if you consider this one error an excuse to believe Britain is dumbing down, especially for someone whose signature is hardly an example of high intellect.

Hang on a minute......"get out more", you say?! I don't think so! Are YOU perfectly happy to stand by and see this sort of thing happening on an ALMOST DAILY BASIS? This is a MAJORLY IMPORTANT British organisation we are talking about, remember. They cannot afford to let "silly little typos" like this escape their notice especially when they have such a huge advertising budget into the bargain, wouldn't you agree? Whichever way you care to look at it, it is embarrassing.

Believe it or not, I scour the classified adverts in the local newspapers almost every single fucking day looking for the ideal job - and I have been doing this for the last 18 months - and you'd be amazed at just how many advertisements are poorly proof read or spell checked. So many common and unforgivable typographical errors are slipping through the net - and from seeing this I DO get the impression that Britain is dumbing down, because misspelled adverts and campaign straplines are becoming far more common than you realise. It is just plain negligence, pure and simple.

Only last week I had to call up THREE spelling mistakes on two adverts I spotted in the evening news - and one of them was embarrassing in that they stipulated how "candidates should demonstrate creativity, accuracy and a flare for exceptional design, and be able to deliver copywritten material to tight deadlines...". I mean, that is laughable surely? They couldn't even get the correct spelling of 'flair'!!! And they mention "accuracy" in the same breath as well. :lol: I mean, I even saw a glossy brochure on North Wales at a tourist information centre feature the word Anglesey spelt wrong (Angelsey), not once, not twice, not even three times but an incredible FOUR times! WTF??

All I am stating is that if you're going to be a high-profile company who demands the highest standards from your prospective employees or whatever, then fucking hell, make sure you get someone in who knows something about the basics of learning how to spell correctly, because you will only end up looking stupid. Having access to a dictionary is nothing to be ashamed of, surely?

Perhaps to you these things aren't important anymore, in which case you are just another example of the problem, and not the solution. ;)

For your information, having worked in marketing and communications / print and publicity for 18 years in the past [public and private sector], one of my [paid] jobs was to be a proof reader as well as an artworker so you can imagine how things like this don't escape my notice that easily.

Oh and by the way, that signature is meant to be a lighthearted dig quoted in its entirety from a TV programme the other night on Channel 4 - actually the words of a boarding school chief of that eponymous establishment - to highlight the stupidly inane things people actually say (did you not get the irony?). So quite why you would want to take issue with that just for the sake of pedantic oneupmanship that I cannot imagine.

P.S. Charlie P is going to have a field day when he sees this one. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Actually whats wrong with this country is a reactionary middle england fuelled by a completely cynical & negative press. We've never had it so good in terms of new architecture, prosperity and so on - and to top it all off, we're getting the bleedin olympics!!

I mean for f***s sake this is an amazing progressive period in our history, typo or no typo

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah - and I'll bet that they'll be employing thick, illiterate 18-25 year old computer whizzkids to handle all the press adverts for the Olympic campaigns as well, the fucknuts. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh the indifference, the apathy! Thats whats gone wrong with this country.
:D

Interesting reactions here though Boards, don't you think? I find it not a little worrying that people who pick up on spelling errors that are made by others are actually made to feel like they are the perpetrators of evil and the social pariahs, simply for having the guts to stick their necks out and speak, then being told that they should "get out more". :|

**** me, I get out enough as it is - I have SEVEN different jobs on the go right now - all of them unpaid - and a lot of them involve interaction and communication with the public and small arts organisations alike, providing advice and [corporate] hospitality, contributing photography, copywriting, exhibitions, co-ordinator duties, etc..... I have a busy life, but a pretty thankless one because I am after all getting zilch financial reward from any of it (all voluntary you understand). But that still doesn't mean I have to be slack and slovenly just cos it now appears perfectly acceptable for much of the rest of the country to do so because it wouldn't be seen as "cool" not to. ;)

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think standards are important, and it is a shame they made the error, but I would be more concerned if they'd spelt 'investing' wrong. I don't think many people would realise how to spell 'Cannon' in this context without thinking about it?

Personally, I am more concerned about the UFO to the left of the photo!

:lol:

Oh, that's obviously an airship that's strayed into the picture! :D

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My God, calm down. It isn't the end of the world.

It will be when they make an even bigger financial fist of the Olympics as no doubt they will be doing in the months and years to come! ;)

·
Rock Lord
12,954 Posts
I'm with Martin G, if my company spends any money on an advert we check it first because any typo like that going through, would reflect badly on us as a company.

If you start saying mistakes are acceptable, then you are reducing your standards.

·
Registered
190 Posts
in many years of dealing with property on cannon street i can honestly say correspondence from various people states "canon" street as the spelling about 50% of the time. the two spellings seem almost interchangeable on this .

spellings do change down the ages and it doesnt take too much of a leap to get from canon to cannon. particularly in an area with about 5 churches AND a naval history! easy to be confused because of this, perhaps

nothing to wet ones knickers about, honestly, cut the swearing too, sounds like you're mr angry .

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think it's time this thread was moved. Far, far away if possible.
That's right. Bury your head in the sand like the proverbial ostrich and pretend like this never happened. ;)

It's telling that you're also one of the folks who think the new Olympic 2012 logo is the absolute bees knees.

I rest my case.

·
Registered
7,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm with Martin G, if my company spends any money on an advert we check it first because any typo like that going through, would reflect badly on us as a company.

If you start saying mistakes are acceptable, then you are reducing your standards.
:yes:

Exactly - and think also about the cost implications when one has to then spend money getting it reprinted or whatever. Nobody has an infinite amount of money to waste on correcting mistakes, do they? In this sort of business, people have got to be accountable for things like this and exercise a greater degree of care and responsibility. It's not too much to ask for!

1 - 20 of 350 Posts