SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Ampersands & What
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One Crown Place
17-29 Sun Street, 1-17 Crown Place and 8-16 Earl Street

Height: 123m/107m AGL (137m/121m AOD)| Floors: 33/29 | Architect: KPF | Developer: AlloyMTD (Jersey) Ltd

Planning application: Hackney
http://planning.hackney.gov.uk/Nort...tion Details&PUBLIC=Y&XMLSIDE=&DAURI=PLANNING

One Crown Place 19 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 16 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 17 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 18 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 20 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 21 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 24 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 28 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 29 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 30 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 31 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 32 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 22 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 27 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 23 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 26 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 13 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 14 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 1 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 2 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 3 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 4 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 5 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 6 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 7 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 8 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 9 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 10 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 11 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 12 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 33 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 34 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 35 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 36 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 37 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 38 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 39 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 40 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 41 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 42 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 43 by corerising, on Flickr

One Crown Place 15 by corerising, on Flickr

·
Ampersands & What
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cheers Retro Specs for the heads up on this development. It looks good to me. The biggest benefit I see is that it's located between Broadgate, the City and London Wall. It will thus help to pull the three clusters together to form as one. Good height as well, considering the St Paul's sight-line issue!

·
Hello
1,704 Posts
Quite nice, if a little similar to other modern designs. This area is a bit of an unknown quantity when it comes to high rises, so caution may be needed. As well as any possible views towards St Paul's which heritage groups might be able to find, the size of the buildings might also be opposed. But it would be great to see a cluster around the Moorgate area.

·
Ampersands & What
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blimey Hackney's gone up in the world!
The City of London is literally over the road. It's one of those weird boundary areas in London.

The smaller tower reminds me of Tower 42 on the North Elevation. I wonder if that was a deliberate reference?

One Crown Place 31 by corerising, on Flickr

·
Registered
5,253 Posts
I had a similar initial thought to Core Rising - good locaion + massing to "fill in" the current gappiness.

Trouble is, with the view from waterloo bridge, you're more or less stood on the richmond park sightline over st pauls + liverpool st dictating the gap between heron et al, and broadgate. so, from here, it lines up more in front of broadgate than next to it. but from other places it should do the trick.

like delores though I'm not sure about the cladding. the varied-width "slat" effect is reminiscent of lots of other KPF things I've seen, including One Nine Elms, I guess it's a kind of house style? But I've yet to see any of them in reality. The renders of these type of facades (certainly in this case and ONE) leave me a bit...cautious? Sceptical? Really depends on the material I think. As a pretensious (would be) photographer I feel like the renders don't seem to show the material interacting with light in any recognisably 'realistic' way, making it impossible to judge fairly, and easy to write off as plasticcy, but hopefully this wouldn't the case in the flesh.

·
Ampersands & What
7,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Although I like the massing of the structures I wish architects would now break away from this disjointed cladding in the facades (as seen in the Sainsbury development). The floors appear out of sinc and messy. It really is a phase that has run out of steam and KPF can surely do better. The success, if it goes ahead without too much nimby verbal outrage, will depend on the quality of the external materials and thus appearance however.

This area could do with some prominent buildings as a northern extension of Broadgate. As said already, the facings do respond a bit to One Nine Elms (not a bad thing if done to high quality). But I preferred the original designs, and wonder why they have been superceded. But it seems few proposals go ahead as originally designed and tend to lapse into different structures over the years (e.g. One Tower Bridge, Bloomberg).

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Overall, this looks a great project, and is particularly sensitive to conserving and integrating a very nice grouping of 18-19C buildings including a church, pub and row of Georgian houses. with an inner light court I like the asymmetric towers, they fit well into the urbanscape, though would have liked a few more floors on each tower. Wish we had more like this.

·
Let the Jam decide
2,249 Posts
Overall, this looks a great project, and is particularly sensitive to conserving and integrating a very nice grouping of 18-19C buildings including a church, pub and row of Georgian houses. with an inner light court I like the asymmetric towers, they fit well into the urbanscape, though would have liked a few more floors on each tower. Wish we had more like this.
Totally agree, great scheme and design and love the fact that they've incorporated the current buildings.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
New KPF-Designed Skyscrapers Approved in Hackney
Estates Gazette

Hackney Council approved two new residential skyscrapers at committee last week. The pair of residential towers, which rise to 123m and 107m above ground level, will sit upon a podium of office space and also contain ground floor retail. In a neighbouring terraced row of existing buildings the developer will provide a hotel and further residential units.
Read more at: http://www.estatesgazette.com/blogs/london-residential-research/2015/07/new-skyscrapers-approved-hackney/

·
Registered
9,867 Posts
Despite this works are scheduled to commence until 2017 (from technical summary):

Demolition and construction works are anticipated to commence in August 2017. The current expectation is that these works will take approximately three years and eight months (44 months) with an end date of approximately Quarter 4 (winter) of 2019.

Assuming they approve 13/4 Appold Street it shall make for an Intresting Shoreditch highrise cluster by 2020.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.