Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I spent December 30th, 2017 exploring Knoxville, TN which I had not been to since 2010. Man was I blown away by all the progress downtown has revitalized in the past seven years. Lots of activity downtown and fantastically rehabbed historic buildings. The riverfront (especially on the south bank of the Tennessee River) is starting to develop nicely with new greenways, parks, and developments. Knoxville is the third largest city and MSA in Tennessee, home of the University of Tennessee, and is considered the Tenessee gateway to the Great Smokey Mountains National Park.

Enjoy these photos of The Marble City!

Downtown:

Old City:

Art Museum/World's Fair Park District:

Tennessee River waterfront area:

Ijams Nature Center:

Breweries and Taprooms:

Bonus!

Happy New Year!

·
Panache
133 Posts
Great set! Knoxville has a phenomenal downtown area... I wish Nashville had a bit more of Knoxville's historic charm. I was pleased to learn that the north side is really coming back strong and the university area is rapidly urbanizing.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Wonderful little place. Many warm memories. And for all the buzz about Chattanooga, I prefer Knoxville.
I haven't been to Chattanooga in a number of years, but checking it out on Google Earth and Streetview it looks much more spread out and it's downtown seems to lack the high degree of compact walkable urbanism as Knoxville. I'm sure it's a great place and all with lots of fun things to do, but it looks like it would be hard to cover Northside to Southside by foot and would likely need a car. I felt like Knoxville's downtown compactness made it very easy to get around without a car as a visitor.

·
Panache
133 Posts
I have yet to visit Chattanooga, but checking it out on Google Earth and Streetview it looks much more spread out and it's downtown seems to lack the high degree of compact walkable urbanism as Knoxville. I'm sure it's a great place and all with lots of fun things to do, but it looks like it would be hard to cover Northside to Southside by foot and would likely need a car. I felt like Knoxville's downtown compactness made it very easy to get around without a car as a visitor.
That might all be true, but I'd still highly recommend a visit to Chatty when you have the chance. It is definitely not lacking in the historic charm and vibrancy departments, and has tons of things to do.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Yeah, not to diss Chatty, just prefer Knoxville. When I was a kid growing up in Florida, Knoxville was a home-away-from-home for me. And I was fascinated by its rust belt feel.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ah, my old stomping grounds.

Downtown Knox is small, but is underrated, and has tons of potential (looks like they are starting to realize some of that).

It won't ever have the bar district Nashville has (nor should it) partially because UT will pull a lot of that its way....

Market Square is a treasure, and should be treated accordingly.

Always loved the vibe of the Old City. Strange to no longer see Patrick Sullivans.

Knoxville has a smallish downtown, but has loads of potential. Not so much in terms of highrises....more in terms of street level.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Knoxville is an incredible city. It doesn't get as much publicity as Nashville, but I think there are some great opportunities for Knoxville to grow. Businesses will continue to move to Tennessee due to the favorable tax advantages, as well as the mild climate. Not to mention buying a house in Knoxville TN is very affordable. I can't wait to see what happens to our amazing city.

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Knoxville is an incredible city. It doesn't get as much publicity as Nashville, but I think there are some great opportunities for Knoxville to grow. Businesses will continue to move to Tennessee due to the favorable tax advantages, as well as the mild climate. Not to mention buying a house in Knoxville TN is very affordable. I can't wait to see what happens to our amazing city.
Seeing as how you're a Knoxvillian, would you mind keeping us abreast of developments in your fair city ?

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
That's immediately what came to my mind. I think Chattanooga gets buzz because of how much it has revitalized the downtown area. I don't know if downtown Knoxville ever fell as far (I've never been). I would imagine having a major University in the city has helped a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
^ Yeah, I'm in both for work quite often, and they're more similar than they are different (Chattanooga and Knoxville). Knoxville has the better historic building stock downtown, while Chattanooga has done a bit better/is further along with its riverfront redevelopment and cultural assets. Both seem to be doing well these days with lots of reinvestment.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts