SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,386 Posts
Tbf it closed over a decade ago. I remember going a couple of times in the 2000s, but I'm not aware of the space being used since The End disappeared. .
According to Wiki, it closed in 2009 so any argument that the developer has it in for The End falls flat on its face. The site is only up for redevelopment because the Travelodge above has closed. It's hard to tell whether Covid-19 enabled it, or to whether the lease ran out.

·
Registered
138 Posts
It was last used as a music venue under the name of The Den and then Centro until 2012. I don't think anyone's laying accusations of wanton cultural vandalism at the feet of the developer (at least in this instance, the plot was previously purchased for development in 2009 before being left as it is) rather it's a predictable shame to see another historic venue space disappear entirely from a part of London that is increasingly devoid of any night-time value.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Overall, this appears to be a well considered project, particularly at ground level, and appears respectful of the area, the streetscapes and the heritage buildings. The creation of Vine Street appears particularly positive, and in line with having pedestrian lane ways with small stores. Its also good that there are a mix of uses, residential, mixed use commercial, and many small store units and a large cafe.

The tower design is nicely stepped, and is better than the average cladding for sure. However, I wish the tower did not look so 70s, even though close-up the cladding and detailed design is better. On the whole, this project is well considered, a vast improvment on the existing building, and consistent with the urban character of the surrounding area. Thumbs up from me.

The video was also a great presentation of the project, the intent, the various components, and discussed built-urban heritage impact, with a good range of questions raised and responded to.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Will that red Victorian building be demolished?
According to the presentation, the red building on the corner of High Holborn and Grape Street is just outside of the project boundary and does not appear to be proposed for demolition. See street elevation on the above planning presentation at 30mins, 26 seconds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts