SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
22,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One on Whiteley, the much-awaited fourth residential phase of Melrose Arch. Pam Golding Properties has brought 119 luxury one- and two-bedroomed apartments in the new development to market.

Pricey though. One on Whiteley are priced from R2.7 million for a 60 square metres one- bedroom apartment through to R6 million for a two bedroom apartment of 136 square metres.

There will also be a 350 key hotel by an international operator not yet in South Africa

Bit of a bland look. And you will have a Virgin Gym and a Daytona Car Dealership under you. Seems really odd at this high price point.

·
South Straddie QLD
10,874 Posts
no virgin as they have a massive stand alone already in Melrose just around the corner from this one. Not sure why these are shown in the renders. R45 k m2 is on par for high end in Joburg

·
Registered
695 Posts
no virgin as they have a massive stand alone already in Melrose juts around the corner form this one. Not sure why these are shown in the renders. R45 k m2 is on par for high end in Joburg
There will be another Virgin Gym at Melrose Arch and this will be where it's at.
This general gym will be in addition to the existing Classic offering...

The hotel operator is kinda in ZA already...

·
22,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no virgin as they have a massive stand alone already in Melrose just around the corner from this one. Not sure why these are shown in the renders. R45 k m2 is on par for high end in Joburg
This just in no way feels high end. Yeah it's Melrose arch, but for that money it seems a bad place to put your money compared to other developments in the city

·
Registered
225 Posts
Location location I feel..that whole area there in and around Melrose Arch and Wanderers is one of my favourite places in JHB.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Same as in CT, a lot of projects (Breakwater, , The Richmond, Radisson Blu (although refurb) and etc) all have no external space which is a bit crazy in this day and age and scale :shifty:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Just my 2 cents. I think we need to wake up and realize that the number of shopping malls and strip malls in South Africa has exceeded the demand. Here is a good example: We drove through Harties from Bakubung last week. A beautiful shopping center built less than 5 years ago has become a very sad ghost place.

This mall is located off R511 by Xanadu just as you leave Harties. We drove into the first 2 malls from town but none of them had a Standard Bank. So, we decided to try this third one and the place was completely empty and abandoned. There were 5 ladies outside one of the remaining tenant smoking in the crispy winter morning! It really looked so sad!!

So, what will become of this empty mall?

·
South Straddie QLD
10,874 Posts
disagree, malls like that are an abnormality and that mall has a sorry history and big mistakes made. It was due to anchor a 4000 home estate that failed to get off the ground

·
Crazy Loony Archistudent
125 Posts
Malls offset people, hence why some malls survive through rebranding or expansion

There are too many in Johannesburg, Cape Town seems to have that under control.
The biggest thing is mixed use, if you occupy people above a mall the mall will never fail, so i think this one has a good chance of working

·
Registered
841 Posts
Well, I hope that all these malls will not create another bubble! Its seems like there is now a mall or strip mall for every single neighborhood in South Africa. You drive out of Pilanesburg, there is a mall at Sun City, a mall at Phokeng, a mall in Mogwase, then you get to Runstenburg, they have a strip mall at every traffic light before you get to Waterfall.

The Mall of Africa is not even open and the traffic at the Waterfall Corner is already exploding!! So, Melrose Arch is already an after thought after Sandton, Rosebank and Waterfall.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I may sound silly to say this but there very well may not be enough malls here in JHB haha...end of month at any mall here is worse than a nightmare, regular nightmares are reserved for every other weekend, so if you ask me I dont think there will be a bubble, if anything there need to be a few more malls or shopping strips with street interaction preferably.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Also Upington you are mentioning all these places that has the population of a suburb in JHB so yeah sure the malls they have are going to be empty.

·
Crazy Loony Archistudent
125 Posts
Malls were invented to make the car have a place to park while we shop, and now its just getting ridiculous.

One giant mall, lots of traffic, lots of chaos
2 small malls, less traffic, less chaos

1 - 20 of 45 Posts