Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 490 Posts

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two planning applications have now appeared on the Planning Explorer, both from the same developer, One Park Lane Limited. The applications relate to two adjacent sites on the edge of the Baltic Triangle. The first is the former Greenberg's site on the corner of Park Lane and Liver Street. The second is adjacent site on Park Lane, currently home to disused warehouse buildings. Together they form arguably the largest proposal pitched in the city for several years. In total there will be over 800 apartments and other uses, spread across seven buildings ranging between 10 and 25 storeys. The related documents aren't available yet, but the basic details are as follows -

Application Number - 14F/1313
Site Address - Park Lane, Beckworth Street, Carpenters Row and Cornhill Liverpool L1 5EX
Proposal - To redevelop the site following the demolition of all buildings by the erection of five blocks (between 10 and 25 storeys) comprising 515 apartments (143 one bed, 276 two bed, 96 three bed); B1(a) office accommodation: mixed commercial uses at ground floor (Use Classes A1, A2, A3, A4 and/or A5); 151 undercroft car parking spaces; 190 internal cycle parking spaces and 60 external street level cycle parking spaces; and the creation of hard and soft public realm and landscaping.
Applicant - One Park Lane Limited
Application Number - 14F/1305
Site Address - Land flanked by Park Lane, Pownall Street, Liver Street and Beckworth Street Liverpool L1 5HZ
Proposal - To redevelop site by the erection of two buildings, from 10 to 20 storeys, comprising 284 apartments (34 no. three bedrooms, 136 no. two bedrooms, 54 no. single bedroom and 60 no. studios); four commercial units (two at ground level and two at first floor level) to be used for purposes within Classes A1, A3, and/or A4 and a gymnasium; pavement cafes/terraces, 47 basement parking spaces and 166 cycle parking spaces and the creation of a landscaped public courtyard and associated public realm works.
I wouldn't normally create a new thread for every proposal that appears on the Planning Explorer, but given the scale of these proposals I thought it was definitely worthy of its own thread.

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,725 Posts
Thanks Chris I'll watch this one with interest, it's early days but hopefully something will come of it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Application Number - 14F/1313
Site Address - Park Lane, Beckworth Street, Carpenters Row and Cornhill Liverpool L1 5EX
Proposal - To redevelop the site following the demolition of all buildings by the erection of five blocks (between 10 and 25 storeys) comprising 515 apartments (143 one bed, 276 two bed, 96 three bed); B1(a) office accommodation: mixed commercial uses at ground floor (Use Classes A1, A2, A3, A4 and/or A5); 151 undercroft car parking spaces; 190 internal cycle parking spaces and 60 external street level cycle parking spaces; and the creation of hard and soft public realm and landscaping.

I take it they want to demolish Heaps rice mill? I am all for development and I am fully aware that this site has lay undeveloped for a long while (after they knocked down Greenbergs that is). I would however, rather it stay that way until someone who has the respect for the city and it's history/historical fabric comes along than demolish these buildings. These can be accommodated into a development and should be.

·
Human Being
42,948 Posts
The fact that a company has been rashly set up - with the same name as the street of the proposed development - indicates to me that it will not be a development of great quality. Especially as boychild states that they want to demolish Heaps Rice Mill.

What was it that Greenberg's was originally demolished for - a hotel?

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What was it that Greenberg's was originally demolished for - a hotel?
A 25-storey apartment tower. It fact, as a result of that proposal, when it comes to planning permission, a precedent for buildings of such height in this area has already been set, which could make it easier to secure planning permission this time. In fact I'd be surprised if the height of the previously approved scheme didn't at least inform the decision making process when working up the plans for this scheme.

As regards the company being named after the street, that is actually quite common. Temporary companies, sometimes named after a nearby street, the development name, or just with '(Liverpool)' added on the end have appeared regularly over the years on the Planning Explorer. I've always assumed it's to ensure that if the development hits the skids, the parent company remains protected as it is the temporary company that will take the fall. A recent example would be Merepark Construction at Central Village hitting difficulty, but the parent Merepark remaining in business.

The demolition of more old warehouses is of course the fly in the ointment of these proposals. It'll be interesting to read the Design & Access statement to hear the rationale behind that decision.

·
Human Being
42,948 Posts
Neptune and Downing are reliable names...... But surely we must learn from our mistakes - not letting fly-by-night cowboy operators destroy our heritage whilst promising the earth.... Maghull Developments; St Andrew's Church; The Municipal Annexe; Central Village.....

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Isn't the Heaps Rice Mill listed ...not that gives it any protection iin this city. I am suspicious of this ...such a huge development unless it has a big name behind it ...I suspect it may be a ruse to raise the value of the land . The Baltic triangle is continually losing its remaining. Historic warehouses...over the past few years four or five have gone....most of them to be replaced with fiver a day car parks. Yet the council continue to make a big deal about its history etc.....local businesses don't seem to bother either.... You would think all the tech companies there would be keen to keep that balance between new and old.

·
Human Being
42,948 Posts
http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=15252#.U5vpkyhy9Hg

Above is an article about the rice mill - reminding us that at one point an application went in to renovate and convert it - not demolish it as now....

I've written to Steve Munby, councillor for Riverside, and to Richard Kemp and John Coyne ( Lib-Dem & Green) for their thoughts on this. Might others do the same?

Planning application 14F/1313

Jeanette Robinson 233 - 4526 ( planning officer)

·
Human Being
42,948 Posts
I've already heard back from Richard Kemp and from Steve Munby. Richard Kemp said he was going to look into it, and Steve Munby said that the ward councillors were objecting to the demolition application.

If the application to demolish is turned down, we'll see what this company is really about, I reckon. Will they continue with the rest of development, or will they abandon it?

·
Registered
13,975 Posts
I'll wait and see on this one.

Nothing is sacrosanct, I'd let them knock down the taj mahal if they replaced it with something better, but it has to be a great development to justify the destruction of what's actually quite an impressive building.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Is is listed ....if it isn't its a goner. I objected to the demolition of the JohnTroop building on Sefton Street a lovely little warehouse albeit derelict ...I predicted they would demolish, salvage the bricks and leave it....lo and behold the site is an overgrown wasteland.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Ok have objected to this with Steve Munby, will contact the council officer on Monday to do the same, does anyone know the business organisation that covers the Baltic Triangle , lets get them on board. I really think this is a building worth saving...imagine if this was next to the Albert Dock ...no way would they be planning to demolish it....Also this converted to flats would go for a premium...that's what makes me think this is a ruse to get their hands on the architectural salvage an then market a cleared site with planning permission....or expect the usual application for a temporary car park for three years . This application is so huge the organisation behind it would have to huge finance behind it ...it's got the feeling of a blag pie in the sky plan ....unfortunately the consequences could mean we lose one of our last historic warehouses.

·
Registered
6,816 Posts
The building has no statutory protection. It isn't listed and isn't in a conservation area, which effectively means it could be demolished tomorrow. I'll post more info later.

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,725 Posts
Knowing that we'd lose that building it is almost definitely not going to be worth it. The Baltic Triangle is a warehouse district, that's its character, if it hasn't got that what has it got?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Is is listed ....if it isn't its a goner. I objected to the demolition of the JohnTroop building on Sefton Street a lovely little warehouse albeit derelict ...I predicted they would demolish, salvage the bricks and leave it....lo and behold the site is an overgrown wasteland.
Your right, they are after the bricks, they are worth a fortune. On a huge building like Heaps mill, I reckon the bricks alone must be worth 300 to 400 grand.

1 - 20 of 490 Posts