SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
App from Muse for Phase 6, next to Mackie Mayor.

099715/FO/2012/C2

Land Off Shudehill, Eagle Street, Goadsby Street And High Street Manchester, M4 4AF

Erection of a ten storey building with 77 apartments, 572 square metres of use classses A1; A2; and A3 at ground floor, 45 basement car parking spaces and associated landscaping.
Architects: Mark Weintraub

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
^^ Nope, this is the empty plot behind the Crowne Plaza.

Cheers nq

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
App from Muse for Phase 6, next to Mackie Mayor. No docs on yet, doesn't seem to be any renders knocking about. Apparently a 'luxury spec not seen before in the city', at least according to ManCon back in May.

Architects: Mark Weintraub

Currently awaiting a decision on HCA funding I think.
as a keen observer and future buyer who has visited most of the developments in MCC, i'd love to see what this unprecedented spec will be

·
Registered
851 Posts
Is there a link to the Masterplan for this area on SCC?

(Muse claim on their website that there were 5 master-planned phases; presumably Smithfield Building, Design House, Icon Apartments, Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn Hotel- all now completed. Hodder & Partners claim a Masterplan on their website but it bears no relation to what has been constructed).

The difficulty with this remaining plot is its proximity to the Grade II Listed Mackie Mayor Building; the restoration of which remains vital to any claims of a successful regeneration of this area.

To my mind the banal new square that was constructed between the Icon Apartments and the Holiday Inn last year should have been located next to the Mackie Mayor Building, providing a quality entranceway into the Northern Quarter from Swan St.

(The Smithfield Market Building Square is also an underutilised space that Master-planning should have rectified by creating transitory routes through).

If the “superior spec” incorporates a restored Mackie Mayor Building into the final design (as say the Light Building incorporated the Pall Mall House facade) then brilliant.

If it blocks the view of the atrocious Design House then also brilliant.

Just hope it doesn’t add another self-absorbed piece of architecture that ignores the supposed “Conservation” status of the area whilst sounding the death knell for another fine piece of the city’s heritage.

Currently awaiting a decision on HCA funding I think.
N.B. Didn’t Muse get bailed out earlier this year by the Co-op (probably in panic that a failure to develop the Fishdock/Victoria St would impact on their NOMA project)- thus can they really organise the funds for this?

·
Registered
17,649 Posts
Documents are now online, it is a rather bold and different design, what with all the colour.

Elevations

Aerial Views

Model

Renders

·
Registered
291 Posts
The future so bright, I gotta wear shades...

Quite like it - fits in size wise and the hotels around have a dash of colour on them. Contrasts with the Mackie Building in an interesting way! Just need some rich bod to turn the Mackie Building into a Modern Art gallery and we're sorted.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
I don't really understand it, but I *think* I actually quite like this.?

What happened to the Mackie Mayor building being turned into the county archives?

·
Like 'Berg'
6,745 Posts
Me thinks the junior assistant got a little trigger happy with the gradient tool on the old CAD software... On first impressions, I really dislike it - but I'll give it a chance.

·
Registered
155 Posts
This could be amazing....or utterly terrible. Still a bit of bulk in that area is welcome and it COULD be great if the colour catches the light nicely

·
Registered
851 Posts
I would suggest those getting excited at this scheme may have consumed too many Rainbow Drops!

Seriously, how does this fit within a supposed Conservation Zone?

How does it complete the original vision for the Smithfield area (accepting the later phasing of this area has sought to undermine that “conservation” status)?

Since when did copious amounts of colour in architecture ever imbue a building with a sense of “unprecedented spec” or quality?

It never does; it screams “social housing.”

Instead of creating bright, fun spaces in a city, colour loses its lustre all too quickly, becoming thoroughly depressing for those who live there and ultimately running the area down. This building would look terrible on an inner city estate never mind as the gateway to an important economic area of the city.

On a pure architectural front, this looks a really cluttered, overworked design that doesn’t align itself to any of the adjacent buildings with any success and ultimately threatens any opportunity to incorporate the Mackie Mayor building into the future realisation of the area.

Final note; there doesn't seem to be any provision for carparking, which would be a requisite for top-end renters or owner occupiers I would have thought?

Just need some rich bod to turn the Mackie Building into a Modern Art gallery and we're sorted.
Perhaps if MCC weren’t spending millions on the unnecessary Library Walkway or the innumerable bridges across its waterways or prostrating itself before the “usual suspect” developers, there would be the funds available to return the Mackie Mayor building to its former glory as a city asset.

·
Registered
528 Posts
:eek:hno: Black and dayglo cladding? This design is confused, undisciplined, and garish. It's fucking awful.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I really like it ,, its fresh and modern with a bit of colour .

The Mackie Mayor building it desperate for some tender loving care though .

·
10th February 2008
59,945 Posts
Testcard came to mind.

The young guns won't remember it.

Guess what. What! I think I like it. Plenty of colour and quirky balconies. I like balconies.

Did I ever tell you of the time I went to Magaluf and ended up on a hotel balcony with a Girl? She..... STOP IT JRB!

·
Less is more.
6,209 Posts
It looks really over the top, way too many different colours that frankly do nothing to enhance the building. Seems like MCC are determined to make the NQ the epicentre of shit architecture in Manchester.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
It works okay at ground floor level/street-scape, but if the materials are cheap this would be a disaster. Very ........ higgledy-piggledy all over the place angles. The colours may be okay again if the coloured materials are of a high quality.

1 - 20 of 243 Posts