·
South East Nine
40,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

One Woolwich
Royal Greenwich

Official website:
http://www.onewoolwich.com

The demolition and redevelopment of three Woolwich estates: Connaught, Morris Walk and Maryon Grove.

Connaught Estate Proposals

Planning application: Greenwich 14/0086/O

Homes: 654 to 684 units

Affordable homes: 35% affordable homes (10% shared ownership and 25% rent)

Larger homes: 18% of units with 3 and 4 bedrooms

Morris Walk Estate Proposals

Planning application: Greenwich 14/0126/O

Homes: 696 to 766 units

Larger homes: 38% of units with 3 and 4 bedrooms

Maryon Grove Estate Proposals

Planning application: Greenwich 14/0117/O

Homes: 150 to 165 units

Larger homes: 51% of units with 3 and 4 bedrooms

·
South East Nine
40,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Outline planning permission for each estate was submitted earlier this month. Detailed plans for phase one (Connaught) were also submitted.

·
South East Nine
40,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I'm not impressed - the existing housing stock doesn't look too bad, and the number of units replacing it really isn't high enough to justify demolition. Plus it's obvious from the percentages affordable that a lot of people who live there and have formed a community will be forced out. Just seems like 'social cleansing'.

That said some of the proposals for Connaught Estate look more interesting than most modern apartment blocks, particularly the last two photos.

·
Sir Derek "Killer" Hales
1,294 Posts
I'm not impressed - the existing housing stock doesn't look too bad, and the number of units replacing it really isn't high enough to justify demolition. Plus it's obvious from the percentages affordable that a lot of people who live there and have formed a community will be forced out. Just seems like 'social cleansing'.

That said some of the proposals for Connaught Estate look more interesting than most modern apartment blocks, particularly the last two photos.

I beg to differ and I have the local knowledge. Along with the old Ferrier this part of the world is one of the most depressing parts of inner London. Now if they could emulate the new Ferrier then that would be a trick.

·
Registered
330 Posts
There will be less affordable homes in the new developments than already exists. I wrote a bit about this re-development here - http://fromthemurkydepths.wordpress.com/2013/11/18/1600-new-homes-planned-at-one-woolwich/

The Morris walk estate used a new Danish system building building method. Thus all buildings' names have a Danish connection.

They really do need to go. Pretty awful areas. Not helped by terrible public realm around the estates. The photo above with the people on a quad bike shows the state of the fences to the right. You may think Greenwich Council let it get so bad because of imminent demolition but sadly that is there usual level of care, as can be seen in many other areas. I really hope they have some better plans in place to maintain appearances post redevelopment. They cannot even maintain simple fences, walls and grassed areas as seen in the pics above. With more elaborate planting it could become a complete mess.

On the bright side the proposals look very good. Attractive buildings with a mansard roof in appearance.

·
Registered
76 Posts
These just look awful. If the shiny, overly positive renders can't sell them then what chance do they have on an ordinary London day? No doubt the slums of the future once wear and tear begin to set in.

·
Registered
699 Posts
The first system-built estate? Not quite sure how system-built is defined but the Lansbury estate in Poplar/All Saints has at least a decade on these, it's also substantially nicer.

·
South East Nine
40,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Woolwich Connaught Estate, Morris Walk and Maryon Road to be redeveloped
News Shopper | April 2014
Approval has been granted for three rundown Woolwich estates to be demolished and replaced with 1,615 homes.

Greenwich Council's planning board has agreed plans for the Connaught, Morris Walk and the Maryon Road and Grove estates - dubbed the One Woolwich programme.

Under the £269m plans, to be completed by developer Lovell over 13 years, around 35 per cent of the new properties across all the estates will be affordable.

The Connaught will have 684 homes on land south of Sandy Hill Lane and west of Brookhill Road.

Morris Walk, north of Pett Street, is due to get up to 304 new homes, while the section south of Maryon Road is expected to have 462.

On Maryon Road and the Grove Estate there will be 165 new properties.

Greenwich Council cabinet member for housing Councillor Steve Offord said: "There is an unprecedented demand for homes in the borough, and once they have been finally agreed our plans will go a long way to meeting the challenge we face to provide more housing.

"These developments will also create hundreds of jobs in construction which will provide jobs and skills opportunities for local people."

·
Registered
44 Posts
At the Connaught estate diggers are now on site with the flats completely cleared out by the looks of all the skips. It won't be look until demolition takes place given the builders applied for planning permission to knock the buildings down in december.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I can't help but think the new apartments will look much the same as the ones they are demolishing. There is a similar scheme where I live, and the general consensus is that they are basically a tarted up version of 1960s flats. However the new public realm improvements look fantastic, I just hope the existing residents are re housed in the new development.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.