Votes: 6 2.9%
  • 3 or less

Votes: 6 2.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
One Worldwide Plaza
New York, USA

HEIGHT: 237m/778 feet
FLOORS: 50 floors
COMPLETION: 1989
ARCHITECT: Skidmore, Owings & Merril (SOM)

was completed in 1989 as the 47-storey office portion of the Worldwide Plaza multi-use complex on the site of the previous (third) Madison Square Garden (1925-1966).
The Worldwide Plaza complex extended the influence of Midtown commercial enclave towards the residential West Side. The residential portion of the development (arch. Frank Williams of SOM) comprises of a 38-storey tower and six-storey low-rises bordering a multilevel, landscaped plaza that separates them from the office tower. There are 455 apartments in the residential buildings.

The 2,490 m² public plaza yielded 14,940 m² of additional space within the office tower, but in 2000 the city sued the developers as part of "correctional" activity to improve public spaces of commercial buildings. In 2002, the city agreed to allow the developers to use 250 m² of the space for café seating, a ruling that didn't please the local residents who saw it as a misuse of public plaza space that had allowed more bulk for the office tower in the first place.

The tower rises to the height of 237.5 m, topped by a large pyramidal roof with an illuminated top, reminiscent of the N.Y. Life Insurance Co. Building, the original inspiration for the design.

The base of the tower comprises an east-west-orientated vaulted ellipse pedestrian arcade -- the plan of the tower itself differs notably from that with its Empire State-like wings covering the long ends of the ellipse next to the sheer square tower. The lone set-back of the tower occurs on the chamfered corners of the top. The facade is clad in brown-toned and white brick.

The building has become a landmark on the West Side skyline, albeit still a lone example deep within the neighbourhood of Hell's Kitchen/Clinton.

The 140,000 m² building was successful in getting tenants early on due to the relatively low office rents and the proximity to the Rockefeller Center. The success of the complex has, in fact, encouraged the ongoing redevelopment of the Times Square area in the 1990s.

·
Don't be that guy!
1,097 Posts
I didn't care for this one at first. It's ok now. 7/10

S

·
0 Posts
Not my favourite style but it's ok.

6.5/10

I've got a book that goes through this building's construction...anyone else have it?

·
Senior Button Pusher
17,124 Posts
I'm not sure if it still is, but upon completion, I know that this was the World's tallest building to utilize a brick facade. I consider it to be one of the very few buildings that David Childs has done that isn't an embarrassment. In fact, I actually like it. The top is overscaaled, the massing is too streamlined, and the facade is a bit bland, but it is a nice PoMo design overall...

8.0/10

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
It's okay, but the shape is a bit boring and so is the facade. Could've been designed better and had more setbacks.

6/10

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
actually I thought it was an old NYC skyscraper from the pics!...it certainly blends well into the skyline and an all brick facade as well...impressive...this building should age nicely...love it...9/10.

·
By Spirit
25,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
8.5/10

I like these kinda designs. This one is a bit boxy though. Prefer the Atlantic Ctr in Atlanta.

·
Registered
403 Posts
6.5/10 - I like the chamfered walls and the crenelations along the roof line. But the overall effect is kind of dull and boxy. It needs more setbacks, and the pyramid crown doesn't work. They should have carried the walls upward with a series of setbacks.

·
Hope...
68 Posts
seen better, seen worse

6/10

D

·
0 Posts
The profile of Worldwide Plaza always looks great when looking at the Manhattan skyline or from just about anywhere in the city. It's a bit too massy for my likings, but I give it credit for it's interesting base.

A

·
0 Posts
This building is awesome. Very proportionate but bulky as well, which I like. Love the slightly contrasting colors on the facade.

9/10

1 - 20 of 204 Posts