SkyscraperCity Forum banner

ONE55 (MANSON TCLM) | 155-167 Fanshawe Street | Completed

27K views 72 replies 30 participants last post by  gutterclub 
#1 ·
#6 · (Edited)
MANSON'S COMMERCIAL BUILDING (DEVELOPMENT SITE) | Cnr Daldy & Fanshawe Streets | Design

I have been shown the concept designs for the site for Air NZ that suggest otherwise but unless as you say, something has changed since last Thursday. Manson's are the developer so just in case, I have renamed the thread.

#17 ·
It looks like it's currently being used to store construction materials for the Commercial Bay project. Interestingly it's one of the only sites in this part of the city that doesn't fall within a protected viewshaft, so hopefully when the site gets developed we'll get something a bit taller than the surrounding buildings. But in reality I assume it'll just become another low-rise office building, which isn't necessarily a bad outcome but would feel like a bit of a wasted oppurtunity.

#30 ·
Some hefty construction for underground car parking. It looks like they're going to have two levels of parking, hopefully the ground floor isn't to elevated above street level. A handful of buildings in this area have the ground floor a meter above street level, and it really cuts the building off from any interaction with the street. All you get is balustrades and curtain wall.

#31 ·
WIll likely face into the same sad internal courtyard (driveway...) that this block shares. The shops in datacom are nice to have, but yeah really up and tucked away from the street, and only about 1/3 is activated. I don't understand it (I remember something about flooding risk?)

#36 ·
Might be to do with the underground parking levels resulting in this inspired design.

The shite that the private sector has development here reminds me of the depressing block with complete failures of public spaces that is the block bordered by Mahuhu Cres, Beach Rd and Tangihua Street.
It sucks that the only half decent developments in the city are the ones with govt involvement. e.g. Precinct properties, Britomart. The council really needs to up it's game and engage better so that good design is common and not only for "award winning" projects.

They can talk a good game about urban design on Twitter/Auckland Conversations/flashy documents but the ground reality isn't always the same.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.