Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
中華民國
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an online TV show called "Sexy Beijing" at http://www.danwei.tv/sexy_beijing/

There is also a recent article about it on CNN Asia at http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/asiapcf/05/13/sexy.beijing/index.html

This show is pretty interesting. It's about a American Jewish girl named "Su Fei" (Sophie) who explores life in Beijing in a Sex in the City style. Although I've spent a few months in Beijing before and thought I knew all about the city, I still learned a lot from it.

I definitely recommend it.

·
My Heart is with Beijing.
1,737 Posts

·
My Heart is with Beijing.
1,737 Posts
^^ Oh this is fine. It is good to bring this good shows back to attention. I just read through the CNN report you posted. She's actually a descendant of the Jews in Shanghai in WW2.
Prior to arriving, Loewenberg knew little about China, except that it was a part of her family's mythology. As Adolf Hitler rose to power in Germany, her grandparents, both Jews, fled in 1933 for Shanghai and arrived there with her father, then six weeks old. "They lived in Shanghai until the Japanese attacked in 1937," the Los Angeles-born Loewenberg said. And during those years preceding the family's ultimate move to the United States, "my father says he feels it was one of the best times of my grandparents' lives."

Sophie was the name of Loewenberg's grandmother, after whom she was named, she said.

"I know my grandfather studied Chinese," Loewenberg said. " ... And I felt almost like it was part of my grandmother that I brought back here. I always wondered how she felt in China. Did they want to spend the rest of their lives in China?"

·
Registered
696 Posts
Danwei TV is really interesting, I have been following it for a long time.
That girl is indeed Jewish, I remember there is this one episode where she talks about Hanukkah.

·
中華民國
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, in that episode she was talking about Christmas in China and how people mostly celebrate it for fun, not for religious reasons. Also in the same episode, she was showing Beijingers pictures of the Hanukkah candles and asking if they knew what it was, almost all Beijingers thought it was for "birthdays" lol

There was also another episode where she talked about the Jewish community in Beijing and how they just opened a "bathhouse" called Mei Tova in Beijing which is very beautiful as it combined many aspects of Chinese culture in the design.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts