SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

ONTARIO AIRPORT: Deal returns facility to local control

Ontario and Los Angeles have reached terms to return Ontario International Airport to local control, ending decades of remote ownership by Los Angeles and avoiding what promised to be a lengthy and costly civil trial over Ontario’s 2013 lawsuit to wrest the facility back.

The trial, in which jurors could have heard about billions of dollars in economic damage to the city of Ontario from years of reduced airport services, was set to begin Aug. 17 in Riverside County Superior Court.

Sources close to the matter said Wednesday evening Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti and Ontario Mayor pro tem Alan D. Wapner will appear together at a news conference at the airport Thursday, Aug. 6, to announce details.

The move avoids what promised to be a lengthy and costly civil trial over Ontario’s 2013 lawsuit to wrest the facility back. The deal still needs approval from several agencies, and won't likely be final until October 2016.
http://www.pe.com/articles/ontario-776105-airport-angeles.html

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
^^ That's good from my standpoint. The Inland Empire is large enough to sustain its own airport, and is the main area for population growth in greater LA. The ownership by LAWA only resulted in conflict of interest. I would bet this airport will be back to vibrancy within a few years.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Riverside and San Bernardino counties would be smart to invest in a connecting rail system (either by Metrolink or urban rail) to ONT if they don't wanna end up with similar (and expensive) problems that LAX has run into. I believe the population growth rate in IE is a little higher than in LA (proper or county, I don't know).

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Local control arrives Tuesday for Ontario airport

The city of Los Angeles is set to hand over L.A./Ontario International Airport to its home city at 7 a.m. Tuesday, Nov. 1, a year after the transfer was agreed upon by both cities.

Regional officials who championed the hand-over said local control would bring about the needed policies that would increase destinations, traffic and economic growth at the airport and surrounding area.

Under the agreement, Ontario International Airport Authority will pay Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) $50 million from passenger facility charges in the first five years; and another $70 million from passenger facility charges in the final five years.

Local airport authority officials say full control will allow them to finally move forward on plans to redevelop land at the airport. The money generated there will help offset the landing fee costs and — they hope — entice airlines to return and expand flights.
http://www.pe.com/articles/airport-817129-ontario-angeles.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts