·
The Tropics of Canada
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CUPE IN ONTARIO SNUBS ISRAEL

CUPE in Ontario votes to boycott Israel
Last Updated Sat, 27 May 2006 19:48:20 EDT
CBC News
The Ontario divison of Canada's largest union has voted to support an international campaign that is boycotting Israel over its treatment of Palestinians.

Delegates to the Canadian Union of Public Employees Ontario convention in Ottawa voted overwhelmingly Saturday to support the campaign until it sees Israel recognizing the Palestinians' right to self-determination. The Ontario group represents more than 200,000 workers.

The global campaign started last July and has been supported by many North American churches, 20 Quebec organizations, and others, Canadian Press said.

CUPE also condemned what they called Israel's "apartheid wall," saying it is illegal under international law.

"Boycott, divestment and sanction worked to end apartheid in South Africa," said Katherine Nastovski, chairwoman of the CUPE Ontario international solidarity committee.

"We believe the same strategy will work to enforce the rights of Palestinian people, including the right of refugees to return to their homes and properties."

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Ummm.. shouldn't your title say "CUPE snubs Israel"?

And why use the word 'snub'? This is an entirely legitimate cause. Personally, I would support boycotting Israel as much as I would support boycotting Palestine, for what it's worth.

·
The Tropics of Canada
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
there you go . ;) , israel is far more western the the other which if I am correct is partially run by Hamas now is it not ? reguardless of what Mahmoud Abbas ( PM ) wants he will not get it, and I do believe he does want piece but I doubt Hamas will allow that .

·
Registered
617 Posts
Thx for changing the thread name :)
I wonder how this boycott started, there is quite a strong Israeli lobby in Canada, especially in Ontario where there is the largest Jewish population...

·
Toon Town bandit
880 Posts
Israel needs our suport. they are a free nation. its a wonder how they can keep sane in a area of insanity. why would any Canadian group boycot Israeli? what is the resoning? I in turn shall boycot that canadian group, and find suport to join me in doin so. that will be easy as all Canadian churches are avid supporters of the people of isreal.

·
Registered
228 Posts
This whole aparthied wall thing is BS. Its not based on race if it was certain areas inside Israel itself would be cut off. It is not illegal (after reading the applying international law, it was quite clear that the World Court of whatever was WRONG, unless of course your saying that Israel should be guilty until proven innocent) Heres how the stupidest decision in the whole world went. International Court, Israel is using a wall to create borders ILLEGAL NEXT CONDEMNATION OPERTUNITY PLEASE. The Israeli Supreme Court (Which happens to be fully independant and attacks many government actions) said the wall could be illegal but the had no proof it was meant to establish a border. As long as the intent is not to make the permanent border along the wall its fine under international law (read some of it you'll see)However as alway israel is guilty unless it can prove its innocence. Israel has said again and again negotiate with us come to an agreement and that the wall or (most) settlements don't mean anything. Sort of like how they completely withdrew from the Sinai in return for peace. although I don't agree with the occupation Under international law they have ZERO obligation to withdraw from Palestine untile a peace treaty is signed. Nor do they have to withdraw from ALL of Palestine, only borders that both sides agree on and israel has to have resonable safety for it to agree. IF the idiot judges would talk to the people who wrote Resolution 242 they would understand this BUT NO. They are choosing to insert the word "all" between return and territories (all was PURPOSELY left out to allow for border adjustments) and to remove phrases like secure borders and garuntees of peace(not sure the exact wording of the last one). Grrrrrrr. I used to be agaisnt Israel when I was younger but after finding out how they are shafted alot by the politics of the UN, and how unfairly they were treated i know find it very hard to dislike israel for its actions.

Also the UN rewards terror. Why don't they give observers to the basques, tibet Taiwan etc? Is it because none of them rely on terror (or in the case of the basques not nearly as much) as the palestinians do.

Also we boycott a pro-western democratic government in favour of a state run by terrorists who after destroying Israel and commiting genocide agaisnt all its jewish residents, would prolly like to turn its eyes to north america for a new set of teenagers and buses to blow up.

·
Toon Town bandit
880 Posts
yes i wonder how some of these group members would feel if there children were bombed on the way to school. its just sick that the world cant see through all this crap for what it realy is. they built a wall. why would anyone build a wall like that unless it was needed?

·
The Tropics of Canada
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the world knows what is happening . The world ( or the West ) is worried about beeing seen as racist . If anyone Criticizes Palestine,it could be seen as anti muslim . You can blame the hippies and tree huggers and the " Wish I wernt white's " around the world.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It's funny how these people insist and organize themselves in boycotting a nation, while appering unable or unwilling to organize themselves to organize a better Palestine. Don't they know of the internal disputes in Palestine? Why don't they build hospitals? schools? It's easier to blame things in the scapegoats of the world instead of doing something constructive, eh?

·
Registered
103 Posts
yeah, i am with boycotting israel. israelis are killing alot of ancient Palestinians, destroying their houses, and taking their land. I think we should boycott israel for doing that. also, we should support the Palestinians.

·
Registered
228 Posts
k19 said:
yeah, i am with boycotting israel.
be an idiot its your choice

israelis are killing alot of ancient Palestinians
not sure what you mean by ancient. If you mean they've been there since ancient times longer than the jews thats wrong. And if all things were equal
ie: The Palestinian government allowed injured palestinians to be taken to the better Israeli hospitals(they don't allow this much)which are offered, and if palestinian casualties didn't include all the people theve blown up because of screw ups at bomb factories, people they killed because they were suspected collaborators and even a few that were killed by bullets shot into the air at funerals and rallies; If all this was done then casualties would be about equal.

And that doesn't start with the moral equivilence. While Israel goes out of its way to avoid civilian casualties (and punish renegades who attack civilians) the palestinians purposefully target civilians and hide among them as well essentially using inoocent men women and children as human shields. They've sent pregnant women to blow themselves up. They once sent a little boy holding a bomb with a remote detenator without telling him what it was, who was saved by the israelis when the saw it and disarmed it before the Palestinians could turn him into an involuntary suicide bomber.

, destroying their houses,
ah the house demolitions how lovely...family encourages son to blow himself up, son blows himself up, family payed by rich sponsers because there son was a "martyr". Hmmmmm so a family benefits from terrorism that they helped create.

Hmmm ever heard about the Proceeds of Crime law over here?

Plus i'm pretty sure they stopped it a while ago because it looks bad on tv(because no one explained why the houses were being demolished)

and taking their land.
Ummm Israel started quite small with a jewish majority on land owned by jews legitimately bought from absentee landlords.

Every time the arabs have REJECTED peace after wars THEY STARTED they loose land because 1) If war has no punishment then why not do it again and 2) because israel needs more territory to defend itself easier.

I think we should boycott israel for doing that.
How about we boycott both sides because the Palestinian side is at least as guilty as the israeli side.

also, we should support the Palestinians.
If by Palestinians you mean people living in Palestine then YES lets do that. If by Palestinians you mean corrupt leaders, and islamic fundalmentalist terrorists then NEVER.

·
Joi Bangla
1,242 Posts
i am glad Ontario joined the global struggle against human rights. Israel needs to understand just as much as the palestinians that killing innocent civilians is wrong.

·
Midtown Fella
5,282 Posts
vid said:
Take out religion, and where does that leave us?

Well, this dispute would be non existant.
Well religion will not be taken out. Ever. And for you to say something so ignorently obvious sparks another question in my mind. If every single person in the world, thought the exact same way, had the exact same culture, and language--no sexual orientation , race, or emotion. Everyone looked and thought the exact same way. No poverty, no war, or murders--no personalities or culture. The same point of view would be shared by everyone, wouldn't that be lovely?

I don't care if anyone one else says it, because I'll say it myself...

WELL SAID JAYE! :applause:

·
The Tropics of Canada
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think if Israel really wanted to they could roll over and squash the Palistinians . They are not the mask wearing firing guns into the air terrorists that Hammas is . To support the Palistine movemnet , is to support Iran , is to support the Talib-...
well we wont go that far but I m sure you can see how they all hold the same hand. The same hand that Our Canadian Soldiers are fighting right now .
But hey , you are all permitted to make up your own mind .

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Jaye101 said:
Well religion will not be taken out. Ever. And for you to say something so ignorently obvious sparks another question in my mind. If every single person in the world, thought the exact same way, had the exact same culture, and language--no sexual orientation , race, or emotion. Everyone looked and thought the exact same way. No poverty, no war, or murders--no personalities or culture. The same point of view would be shared by everyone, wouldn't that be lovely?

I don't care if anyone one else says it, because I'll say it myself...

WELL SAID JAYE! :applause:
But the problem is, Jaye, that we have two groups that identify themselves strictly based on either religion or race that claim basically the same area. In a secular society, none of that matters. Why the hell can't Israelis and Palestinians live together??

I guess it's not the absence of religion that would help, per se, it would be the absence of the racist notion of a 'homeland'. It's a bullshit, outdated idea, and it's terribly ironic that Isreal should be so concerned with such a notion. More Lebensraum for the Jews!

But I blame both sides equally, as a principle. It's the only way I can sort it all out.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts