SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 559 Posts

·
Birmingham - #1
I'll work on my anger issues, one day. 🤌🏾
23,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Hello!!

Someone has been listening to me go on about Lancaster Gate for the longest :lol:

Here we have a new Student Scheme split over 3 buildings, at 24, 13 and 10 floors respectively. I measured on the elevations the tallest building is down at 70m but the elevation measurements seem to stop before the top of the building (if anyone can clarify).

Application Number 2017/08885/PA
Application Type Full Planning
Site Address Land at Vesey Street, Lench Street, Lancaster Street and Lancaster Circus St Chads Queensway Birmingham B4
Proposal Erection of new buildings between 10 and 24 storeys to provide purpose built student accommodation (Sui Generis) with associated internal and external amenity space, landscaping, cycle parking and associated works.
https://eplanning.birmingham.gov.uk...lorer/SiteFiles/Skins/Birmingham/Menus/PL.xml

Here are the renders - in the D&A Statement there is one render with Birmingham City Uni on the building, not sure if the building belongs to them.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Glad to finally see some proposals for this prominent site entering the city which at the moment doesn’t give good first impressions. Also good to see news of another new development after a very slow week.

·
The promised land
16,947 Posts
About time. This took a while to come though. Interesting looks. Not sure i like it really.

·
Registered Abuser
7,181 Posts
Im with djay, unsure if I like it or not. Looks a bit odd on the second picture.

Its going to cool driving over the Lancaster Flyover though, and having something this large overshadowing the area.

·
Registered
937 Posts
looks alright, interesting configuration. Like that jaunty angles and the colour. Not so sure about the jazzy patterns. Could go either way. Much more fun than the previous proposal. Chance of getting past the committee without their usual pointless posturing

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The angles of the tall tower on its own look good it’s just a shame it looks such a mess with the 3 towers together. Couldn’t they have just gone taller with 1 tower and scrapped the smaller 2.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It's taken me a while to accept that this isn't a joke proposal. Some of these architects need their heads checking. Absolutely awful. It's almost like it's a competition to see who can design the ugliest building??

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I am struggling to take to it to be honest, the tower looks like another reincarnation of the Holiday Inn design but all in black. The best part is actually the back part until you realise that the the windows just don’t suit the design and ruin it.

Basically if the two towers were bigger and looked more like the Bloc Hotel design on Hill St and the brick part looked like the revised Westminster Works design in Digbeth it would work substantially better...let’s hope we see some revisions and amendments!!

·
Registered Abuser
7,181 Posts
Colour is not the issue, its no different to (the hopefully up and coming) Bloc and even the Hyatt. I think Brumsgrove hit the nail on the head, one block would have looked better than three, just looks very odd from street level.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Love the design but can’t help thinking it should be taller!
^^
Agreed, but also wish it was plain residential not more student accommodation.
Despite all the student development round here (thousands of bedrooms) the area is completely soulless.
Why is it any commercial element associated with Birmingham student accommodation fails around here?
In Manchester and Leeds these areas would be "buzzing" with life, independent retail and bars and cafe's, with loads of people milling around, not here..WHY?
I really was hoping for a "stellar" residential tower here of over 100 metres, and thought that would be needed to compliment and house workers for the "Canary Wharf" vision for Snowhill..oh well
Better the plot is not left a flat car park for eternity like Great Charles Street, that said we've had quite a few proposals for this site that have never materialised.
Sorry to have my pessimistic hat on this morning, for all my complaining I do like the design actually. :)

1 - 20 of 559 Posts