Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out of interest and the season of goodwill to all etc

What is the issue people have? Perhaps I am on a different wavelength to some on here but her/his? treatment by some (not all!) people on here is at the very least in disdain. I honestly don't remember reading a post by this person that was not written honestly or well mannered, even when really disagreeing with others or he/she had recieved a should we say 'short' or patronising response.

As someone who only posts on here now and then, It does come across as pathetic and is beginning with some people on here to resemble how every post waterways (for all his faults) used to make was treated. Get a grip people, it's about opinions so respect the fact that others may have different ones and what you are saying personally is also only an opinion. It's not as if this poster is arguing the consistancy of poured concrete. A lot of people seem to confuse their own opinions with facts and it also seems by appearances, very easy to become so emersed in a forum that it becomes 'yours'

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well said boychild. I think the way she puts up with the bullying and continues to post is really admirable. The reason for the bullying is either historical, pack mentality (ie other forumers who consider this forum as their forum and not wanting to allow outsiders to post) or blatent mysogyny. I think its fair to say that most of the culprits wouldn't do it face to face and use the anonymity of the internet to get away with it. Its a shame because exchanging views on a subject that clearly everyone is passionate about ie Liverpool and its development should be quite an academic process whearas sometimes you would think you were in a school playground and OJ does make good points for debate whether you agree with them or not.

·
Human Being
43,402 Posts
Wow! My very own thread.
I'm not sure how to deal with this, but I must admit when first noticing this new thread with my name in bold, black lettering, I immediately assumed that it was set up by someone who wanted to report me to the moderator and have me banned; or else, for people generally to be unpleasant and hateful, and i guess that that is still a very real possibility.
There are two main reasons why I have persisted in posting; one is because I have been well-supported by a variety of other forumers, which has given me heart; and secondly, because I refuse to be pushed out of an open forum by those that think that I have no place in it - for whatever their reasons. Mainly, it is because I love Liverpool and am interested in all things that relate to it, and this seems like the most obvious forum to come to.

Besides, I am not a coward and injustice motivates me towards action.

Thanks to those who have offered whatever real and genuine friendship is possible in such a medium as this.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow! My very own thread.
I'm not sure how to deal with this, but I must admit when first noticing this new thread with my name in bold, black lettering, I immediately assumed that it was set up by someone who wanted to report me to the moderator and have me banned; or else, for people generally to be unpleasant and hateful, and i guess that that is still a very real possibility.
There are two main reasons why I have persisted in posting; one is because I have been well-supported by a variety of other forumers, which has given me heart; and secondly, because I refuse to be pushed out of an open forum by those that think that I have no place in it - for whatever their reasons. Mainly, it is because I love Liverpool and am interested in all things that relate to it, and this seems like the most obvious forum to come to.

Besides, I am not a coward and injustice motivates me towards action.

Thanks to those who have offered whatever real and genuine friendship is possible in such a medium as this.
Keep it up! :)
(and I'll start checking my spelling - emersed instead of immersed??????????? :eek:hno:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I like seeing an intelligent female on here and other than her pompous and patronising moments , I think openlyjane has been a good addition to Liverpool SSC Liverpool- knowledgeable , insightful and a genuine interest in Liverpool.

I had trouble with a now banned member when I joined under an old name (had to change username after losing email account:eek:hno:) and i'm sorry if I offend any posters here but it can feel unwelcome as a woman sometimes.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Jane is one of the few brighter forumers, and brighter forumers are in short supply on SSC. Some of the less bright forumers will always hate and try to harrass the brighter ones, in the way some ugly people resent attractive people.

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
I like how oJ gets about the city and reports back on observations of new openings and so on. A reporter for the forum on the streets of Liverpool. Furthermore, evidently a sociable sort, oJ likes to actually speak to people while out and about and thus brings back inside information that we wouldn't otherwise obtain. So that's valuable. I for example am not speaking to anyone if I can help it. Other people are bustards. :yes:

·
Banned
444 Posts
I'm not getting this jane love in. It's an obvious troll. It never says anything smart or useful and most of the time is anti Liverpool(using media, made-up cliches) and always taking threads off course, for pages on end. Very like evertonian(very idiotic).

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
Pc raises an interesting general point about ostensible "trolls". When John-MK first appeared I was certain he was a troll. Surely no one could actually be like that, be that confused, that weird in personality. Eventually, after years of consistent loopiness I was pretty certain that that was the real person. Ever had series of long conversation with taxi drivers? As well as the very well informed there's some bizarre opinions out there and these are frequently held very strongly.

So, when somebody appears to be a troll, they might be but really would someone have the energy to post hundreds - thousands! - of posts over months or years, devoting many hours of their time to simply winding people up? It's tragic to contemplate but it's more likely that they actually believe their confused opinions and a result of the same intellectual deficiencies that explain their initial confusion are unable to process the arguments of those attempting to reason with them.

It is therefore a fool's errand to attempt to argue and one can simply ignore those whom one knows cannot be reasoned with. But yes it does become very annoying when, with Sebo gone and others largely silent, it is now next to impossible to have an informed and intelligent conversation about the really interesting aspects of the city's history, politics, governance and economy.

But that's where we are. Naming no names you'll understand.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I'm not exactly a huge fan of OJ or her, at times, teacher / pupil approach. I think it stems from her early posts where she tried to all intents and purposes to moderate the forum and to decide what language / vocabulary / style of writing each and every member should use. Then there was the persecution complex where she became paranoid when she couldn't grasp the nuances of the forum that we all are subject to, citing closed shops because she was asked to present a reason for amending a post and other situations when she became exasperating for a time. Now being a more-seasoned contributor, much of this has dissipated.....

However, for PC to call her a troll is way off the mark and is borne out of disingenuity, blinkeredness or possibly just stupidity. It actually borders on hypocrisy for someone who cites BBC sycophancy to every person you disagree wth.

On the plus side, she has (often forthright) views which are welcome and it is possible to debate with her, unlike true trolls, Metro, John MK etc. As Awayo, her real nemesis :) states, she adds to many threads by actually getting out and about and speaking to people and reporting back here which is one of the principal reasons I use SSC - to find out about new venues, projects and so on - for which I am grateful and now, latterly, has become a new and welcome addition to the photographers on the forum. :cheers:

It takes all sorts to make for an interesting forum and as Awayo cites elsewhere, Sebo's return would be appreciated and refreshing and given the paucity of moderation in recent months, I'm not sure anyone would notice if he stuck to Liverpool's sub forum.

Reactions: TeaTree

·
Banned
444 Posts
I think you're exaggerating a bit there, Joe, on the bbc thing. I've said that about three times. Twice, when someone berated someone for having a go at the bbc and the other as a joke, hence the smiley.

I dont take threads off course for pages.

·
Human Being
43,402 Posts
I find it quite incredible that this thread has arisen at all - surely the most controversial thing about me is that I am openly female, with a female sensibility, don't like offensive and sexist language, and am not scared to say so.

As for Awayo being my nemesis - what on earth is that supposed to be about? It suggests, which often seems to be true, that he targets everything I post with automatic negativity, and if that was the case, then perhaps we ought to have a thread dedicated to him and others who do the same; and who, in fact, seem to get some sort of thrill about how unpleasant and derogatory they can be. That sort of behaviour is the mark of a troll, i would suggest; not just somebody who disagrees with you.

The fact that there seems to still be some question in the minds of a few, about whether I really am a woman,I find rather interesting, but also indicative of how sexist many men still are. I do not think that there is a lack of intelligent women - what a concept!, but what I do think is that the macho, boasting, bashing culture is a real turn-off for most women. I refuse, however, to accept that open forums can alienate half of the possible contributing community by an insistence on the 'acceptability' of offensive language and approach. I don't buy into the idea that i must 'put up and shut-up', although quite a few of you seem to prefer women who will. Besides there are numerous, civilised men who contribute to this forum, and who also abhor the politics of that sort of behaviour . It is common for anybody challenging the status -quo to be villified - I'm not afraid of that; although it can be very personal and hurtful at times.
As for the trolling business - many on this site seem to shout 'troll' when ever anybody disagrees with the dominant positions of the cabal that sometimes appears to patrol this forum. I agree that better moderation is required, and I will, also, now take measures to see that this is so.

From my observation, threads get taken off-course when people start being insulting and abusive, or putting people down. Usually, if someone posts something a little tangenitial to the main thread, it dissipates quite quickly if everybody acts in a civilised manner. However, some people have an anal fixation with rigid thread definition, when perhaps a more relaxed and friendly approach would create a better atmosphere.

I'd rather this thread died a death now, although I am thankful to Boychild for his sentiment in creating it.

·
Human Being
43,402 Posts
Pc raises an interesting general point about ostensible "trolls". When John-MK first appeared I was certain he was a troll. Surely no one could actually be like that, be that confused, that weird in personality. Eventually, after years of consistent loopiness I was pretty certain that that was the real person. Ever had series of long conversation with taxi drivers? As well as the very well informed there's some bizarre opinions out there and these are frequently held very strongly.

So, when somebody appears to be a troll, they might be but really would someone have the energy to post hundreds - thousands! - of posts over months or years, devoting many hours of their time to simply winding people up? It's tragic to contemplate but it's more likely that they actually believe their confused opinions and a result of the same intellectual deficiencies that explain their initial confusion are unable to process the arguments of those attempting to reason with them.

It is therefore a fool's errand to attempt to argue and one can simply ignore those whom one knows cannot be reasoned with. But yes it does become very annoying when, with Sebo gone and others largely silent, it is now next to impossible to have an informed and intelligent conversation about the really interesting aspects of the city's history, politics, governance and economy.

But that's where we are. Naming no names you'll understand.
Your definition of a troll seems to be someone who disagrees with you, and your attempts to make them see reason?:? You, seem, according to this post to operate under what seems to be a genuinely held conviction, that you alone are informed or intelligent.

You must have, either, zero self-awareness to say such an inherently arrogant thing, or else you are purposely trying to wind people up - and that would make you a troll.

·
Human Being
43,402 Posts
Whats a female sensibility and why does it go hand in hand with the issue of swearing?

I agree with the sentiments about bringing back Tony Sebo.
I was expecting that response from you - so no surprise. :dunno: I do not try to be one of the lads.

Antagonism does not help - whereas an intelligent alternative response would.

·
Human Being
43,402 Posts
Why are you so defensive to a question?
You are being disingenuous. You were being deliberately hostile, not really engaging openly, and that final remark about Tony Sebo was not posted with friendly intent - I would suggest.
I think we have both got a clear idea of how we each feel about being female and what that means and how it effects our experience of life - and so I see no mileage in going over it again.

Anyway, this is the last I'm posting on this thread.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I wasn't being hostile at all, you suggest wrong, you cannot start imagining what I know to be true. I was wondering why you can be against sexism and say something what I percieved to be sexist in the same post, thats as far as my interest goes.

As for Tony, has something gone on between you both that you would find the mere mention of his name as an act of hostility on my part? I've no idea, I'm not bothered either, its only the internet. I just liked reading his posts.

You still haven't answered my question but never mind, I don't know what female sensibility is and you've made me none the wiser.

·
Human Being
43,402 Posts
I wasn't being hostile at all, you suggest wrong, you cannot start imagining what I know to be true. I was wondering why you can be against sexism and say something what I percieved to be sexist in the same post, thats as far as my interest goes.

As for Tony, has something gone on between you both that you would find the mere mention of his name as an act of hostility on my part? I've no idea, I'm not bothered either, its only the internet. I just liked reading his posts.

You still haven't answered my question but never mind, I don't know what female sensibility is and you've made me none the wiser.
You don't know, you never will and you don't care. End of.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.