Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I didn't realize the new Hilton was on the International Drive side of the CC. This will greatly add to the visible "gateway" into the I-Drive hotel corridor. Very nice.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Peabody expansion update:

Article posted in the OBJ: foundation permit applied for by SCA Design Group of WP to the OC (1.2M sq. ft. expansion); should receive it within the next 60-90 days; building permit to follow; GC to be selected once bids are received in August; might cost around $210M.

The expansion:

*A 32-story, 750-room guest tower
*140,000 square feet of event space
*An eight-story, 2,200-space parking garage
*A rock and waterscape lagoon-style pool and grotto

they quoted a drop in construction costs.

http://milwaukee.bizjournals.com/orlando/s...09/daily13.html

·
Registered
240 Posts
It's true, for the first time in a while we are actually seeing a slight decrease in cost on 15 of 16 divisions :banana: . The only exception to this seems to be our division 16 which is electrical. There has been another 3-5% spike this month.

·
Registered
10,118 Posts
^ Is there a possibility that falling construction costs might catalyze a little more downtown development ? Perhaps trigger some dormant projects ?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Probably not. Perhaps maybe slightly larger profits for those who have already developed their budgets and are in buyout. Overall though it's a racket, between overhead at 5%, profit at 10%, and labor burdens at 42% of the total :bash: you kind of get screwed; it just hurts a little less for now.

One hurricane and you can kiss everything goodbye.

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
DALE:) , my friend,
He means International Drive,
lol.
for the " I " .
there's a statment somewhere , I saw that too, somewhere that Donald Trump is proposing to build along International Drive soon,
But , not yet approved and still in planning stages !!!:cheers:

p.s. Dale, if it was'nt for Walt Disney back then buying up all that land for his dream come true, there wouldn't be a " International Drive there today, As big as that road is today, expanded so many times in my 35 years watching that area grow, since I was 15 !!! there on I -4 and the BEE LINE interchange back then,
there was nothing, No Seaworld , No Disney, No Universal Studios,
Nothing !!!

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DALE:) , my friend,
He means International Drive,
lol.
for the " I " .
there's a statment somewhere , I saw that too, somewhere that Donald Trump is proposing to build along International Drive soon,
But , not yet approved and still in planning stages !!!:cheers:

p.s. Dale, if it was'nt for Walt Disney back then buying up all that land for his dream come true, there wouldn't be a " International Drive there today, As big as that road is today, expanded so many times in my 35 years watching that area grow, since I was 15 !!! there on I -4 and the BEE LINE interchange back then,
there was nothing, No Seaworld , No Disney, No Universal Studios,
Nothing !!!
I-Drive was built in the 1960's. Martin Marrietta was already there for several years, so was the Marriott.

what does this point about no life before Disney have to do with the OCCC developments anyway?

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
I-Drive was built in the 1960's. Martin Marrietta was already there for several years, so was the Marriott.

what does this point about no life before Disney have to do with the OCCC developments anyway?
JZ:) , my friend, I have very old road maps from Orlando back in the late 60's before Walt Disney broke ground on his then called " Epcot " and then changed to Walt Disney World after he passed away before the park opened on Oct. 1, 1973, my father had a business in Orlando back in the 60's , and IMO, I'll have to find the old road maps, International Drive was another named road leading into the Martin Marrietta building back then.
JZ:) , are you sure that was a Marriott back then, I thought it was a Holiday Inn.:cheers:

p.s. traveling all over Orlando back then with my Father, I was just 14 years old in 1969, when I believe it was sad news then ,that Walt Disney had passed away .

update, Martin Marrietta, has only one road in and out of it, it's Permiter Road which circles the company for years and I do remember back then , It was Sand Lake Road, and it went right into I-4 to the west.
there was no International drive in the 60's even close to the company, and Today there's a most recent years ago road to the west of the now renamed Lockheed-Martin called Universal Blvd.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JZ:) , my friend, I have very old road maps from Orlando back in the late 60's before Walt Disney broke ground on his then called " Epcot " and then changed to Walt Disney World after he passed away before the park opened on Oct. 1, 1973, my father had a business in Orlando back in the 60's , and IMO, I'll have to find the old road maps, International Drive was another named road leading into the Martin Marrietta building back then.
JZ:) , are you sure that was a Marriott back then, I thought it was a Holiday Inn.:cheers:

p.s. traveling all over Orlando back then with my Father, I was just 14 years old in 1969, when I believe it was sad news then ,that Walt Disney had passed away .
Chuck, I don't know what your point is. Is it that Disney brought I-Drive? Martin was already there so was Orlando Central Park to the east. Kirkman Road terminates at Martin-- always has, right at Sand Lake Rd.

Holiday Inn or Marriott, it was there in the '60's and so was I-Drive.

Besides, I-Drive is nowhere near Disney. 535 is the northern-most Disney exit. The Belz area is way north of that, so is Sand Lake Road.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hilton OCCC has pylons coming out of the ground and you can see the tower's footprint from the east side of the site.

Westin Imagine has most of it's exterior work complete.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The OBJ reported that the Peabody expansion is slated to begin next month... 750 rm, 32 story tower, plus 140,000 sf meeting space, parking garage, etc... actually, the details are in a prior post of mine above.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Good to hear--I have high hopes that this will help to frame in the new OCCC. The older OCCC, while still enormous, was designed better for the pedestrian.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts