Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hello
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this one the other day and didn't take it too seriously as it features alongside a lot of skyscrapers which look futuristic but, in reality, unrealistic as possible developments.

However, this one seems to be being taken quite seriously, with quite a few articles about it on the internet and reports saying that the architect is looking for investors. They also seem to have a sight planned, opposite the Bishopsgate Goods Yard.

Whether this would realistically be built I'm not sure, so I can understand if the thread gets removed for that reason!

Anyway, here's the information from archdaily.com:

Inspired by vegetative growth and the bamboo scaffolding of Asia, Thomas Corbasson and VS-A have proposed a conceptual project for an organic skyscraper for London that will incorporate waste produced by its occupants. The building will rise vertically as more and more of the glass and paper needed for construction is discarded by building residents. It is estimated that enough recycled material for the building’s façade could be produced within a year. The project earned a special mention in a recent Skyscapers and SuperSkyscapers Competition.

Like all skyscrapers, this project will require scaffolding, but in this case the scaffolding will become part of the aesthetic. Prefabricated tube framing will be attached to the exterior, and will rise with the building, allowing for components to be added to the building over time. This framework will also support generators supplying power to parts of the building. The tubing of the scaffolding will be hollow to minimize wind load and will be of a single size so that workers need not spend time cutting the scaffolding to size.

·
Hello
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At first I thought this is a just another unrealistic concept from another architect. But when you think they're looking for investors and have a sight planned, it seems they're very serious about getting this one built. I could imagine investors and tenants getting on board with this, as an eco, forward thinking project which would attract a lot of attention and be something unique.

·
Sir Derek "Killer" Hales
1,221 Posts
From the close up render it looks like they will save vital exhaust emissions in the construction process by not taking away the scaffolding afterwards...

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Would never be built - but it raises interesting questions about the future of design and how buildings can react and change to not only be environmentally friendly - but actually positively help the environment.

·
Hello
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I thought. But I think it's only the cladding which would use recycled materials and that would be easy to achieve I would have thought.

·
Registered
24,341 Posts
Yeah I quite like this. Obviously it's all a bit of a vision and PR for the designers but certainly has a playfulness and mischievous quality that's missing from the current skyline. It's good to see the envelope being pushed now and then rather than more bland brick boxes. That said I imagine they would be trying a much smaller version as a test before even contemplating anything on the scale proposed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts