SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
3,654 Posts
Come on City of Discovery!!!

But Stirling will probably win it because:

1) No SPL side, so no claims of favouring any team.
2) Central loacation with good road links to other cities.
3) Other national sports performance centres already located there (tennis, plus a couple more)

·
Registered
699 Posts
My head says Stirling due to location but heart says Dundee due to the city really needing a facility like this.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thought this could go in this topic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-22955880

Murray and Montgomerie announce Stirling tennis-golf centre plan

Andy Murray's mother Judy and golfer Colin Montgomerie have announced plans for Scotland's first purpose-built tennis and golf centre in Stirling.

It will located at Park of Keir between Dunblane and Bridge of Allan.

It will be part of the Stirling Sports Campus which takes in the University of Stirling's sports facilities and the Forthbank sports complex.

Stirling is one of three cities vying to be the site for Scotland's National Performance Centre for Sport.

The new tennis and golf centre will have six indoor and six outdoor tennis courts, a nine-hole golf course with practice range, mini-golf, multi-sport artificial grass courts along with changing facilities, coaching suites and a cafe.

Plans for the wider development also include a hotel, children's adventure park, woodland walks and mountain bike trails.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Thought this could go in this topic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-22955880

Murray and Montgomerie announce Stirling tennis-golf centre plan

Andy Murray's mother Judy and golfer Colin Montgomerie have announced plans for Scotland's first purpose-built tennis and golf centre in Stirling.

It will located at Park of Keir between Dunblane and Bridge of Allan.

It will be part of the Stirling Sports Campus which takes in the University of Stirling's sports facilities and the Forthbank sports complex.

Stirling is one of three cities vying to be the site for Scotland's National Performance Centre for Sport.

The new tennis and golf centre will have six indoor and six outdoor tennis courts, a nine-hole golf course with practice range, mini-golf, multi-sport artificial grass courts along with changing facilities, coaching suites and a cafe.

Plans for the wider development also include a hotel, children's adventure park, woodland walks and mountain bike trails.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alex Ferguson backing Stirling's bid........coz he used to manage East Stirling about 100 years ago.

Architects for each bid;

Edinburgh : Reich and Hall
Dundee : Keppie
Striling : Faulkner Browns

·
3,654 Posts
I change my mind - not Dundee! Not Dundee!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why?

I think Dundee have a great chance - the lack of sporting facilities there is utterly unfair and it seems fair to have a national spread. Very forward thinking city, council are performing a good overhaul unlike their friends up the road in Aberdeen.

The central belt already has all the sporting facilities it could wish for and Stirling is more than catered for as is.

Come on Dundee-!

·
3,654 Posts
Why?

I think Dundee have a great chance - the lack of sporting facilities there is utterly unfair and it seems fair to have a national spread. Very forward thinking city, council are performing a good overhaul unlike their friends up the road in Aberdeen.

The central belt already has all the sporting facilities it could wish for and Stirling is more than catered for as is.

Come on Dundee-!
Because...

Architects:
Dundee - Keppie
I was just joking though! :nuts:

'mon the City of Dundee!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh right....is it fashionable to hate them?

All shall be revealed soon enough I guess.

Excited Scotland is getting a bespoke elite sporting facility......about time

·
11,803 Posts
Edinburgh's bid by Reiach and Hall.

Go Edinburgh - Vision Flythrough

From Go Edinburgh: Edinburgh’s bid would see the NPCS built in the parkland setting of Heriot-Watt University’s extensive campus in the west of the city; it features a Hampden replica pitch; an outdoor synthetic pitch; four outdoor natural football and two rugby pitches; nine court sports hall; a 3G indoor football pitch and a fitness suite, and world class facilities for sports science and medicine all linked together by a spectacular sports promenade.

·
3,654 Posts
Edinburgh's looks like a Botanic gardens with impressive glass structure - looks pretty expensive too!

I'm liking the simple, refined look to the Dundee one.

Anyone been able to fine a video presentation for Stirling?

·
11,803 Posts
Edinburgh's looks like a Botanic gardens with impressive glass structure - looks pretty expensive too!

I'm liking the simple, refined look to the Dundee one.

Anyone been able to fine a video presentation for Stirling?
You can find a video here, but it shows very little detail about the design aspects of the Stirling bid.

Urban Realm featured a few images earlier today in their piece on the competing schemes. The architects are FaulknerBrowns.

·
3,654 Posts
Cheers, clever integration of the seating area into the side of the building.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I have a feeling that no matter how good Edinburgh's gig is, it'll not win this one. Glasgow was basically told to butt out of this too. I'll almost guarantee this will go to Dundee or Stirling. If the Police HQ heads for Stirling then I'd say Dundee has it in the bag ;)

·
Registered
650 Posts
It would certainly be nice of the SNP to create its first jobs for Dundee as so far they havent managed a single one plus Keppie have done a good job. Stirling is not a footballing city and their design looks the weakest to me.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts