Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the intersection of Orange and Marks there's a big open area used mainly as a dog park for the nearby apartments and condos. Beginning on Monday, I think, some crews moved in and started drilling there. I assume something's going up - anybody know what? Probably a new condo/apartment building I suspect.

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
At the intersection of Orange and Marks there's a big open area used mainly as a dog park for the nearby apartments and condos. Beginning on Monday, I think, some crews moved in and started drilling there. I assume something's going up - anybody know what? Probably a new condo/apartment building I suspect.
I think they are taking soil samples for Verde, which includes twin, 35-story towers of apartments, each 415' tall.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yep, I'm excited about the prospect of a couple more 400 footers coming out the ground. This one has been very quiet.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
that rendering doesn't include 801 N. Orange, which has the Citrus Restaurant in it.

801 fills out the rest of the big block bound by Orange, Park Lake, Marks, and Magnolia, and faces Orange and Park Lake, and is just to the left of the towers in the first photo and to the right of them in the second photo.

·
Registered
10,114 Posts
There was a blurb in the Orlando Sentinel today about how drilling on the site may be an indication that Verde will soon be underway.

·
10,627 Posts
Is that a park on top of the garage?
I'm not familiar with the project but it is probably more like a pool deck/lawn for residents.

BTW when I went to Orlando in January I stayed at the Courtyrad Marriott at the bottom left of the 1st pic/top right of the 2nd pic. If they fill up the empty lots and clean it up that part of downtown will become very cool and mixed-use.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Awful pedestal, but the rest of it is quite nice. Apartments? That's even cooler. Here's to hoping they go vertical... they'd be a great addition to the skyline. If there is smart use of the street-level area around that hideous garage, it could be a nice area - I agree.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
Awful pedestal, but the rest of it is quite nice. Apartments? That's even cooler. Here's to hoping they go vertical... they'd be a great addition to the skyline. If there is smart use of the street-level area around that hideous garage, it could be a nice area - I agree.
yeah, I agree. the mistake was made in the '80's when they designed One Orlando Centre right next to it with that giant garage adjacent to it hugging the sidewalk. I guess they decided to abandon the rest of the Marks Street streetscape-- unless some of the retail is also planned for the Marks Street side.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A lot of the area around Garland (and maybe Garland itself) is about to get torn down for the I-4 expansion. I'm sitting in one of the buildings slated for demolition right now, and we're moving out tomorrow. As far as I know, I-4 will come right up to the apartment/condos on the upper left of this pic, across the street from Verde:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Verde Towers, now that really conjures up ghosts from the past.

Interesting note, last night I visited a friend who lives in NORA. Definitely not 400' twin towers. Another wish and dream lost.

Figured it was better to revive a zombie thread for context.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts