SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
82 Posts
Way down. Both are around like 2-3 million or something.
Southwest Florida Intl? 2 million? Maybe SRQ is at 2,000,000 but RSW has gotten over 7,000,000 and will most likely reach 8,000,000 this year. RSW has posted record months ofr the past 10 consecutive months and has gone to surpass PBI int total passenger count. These are total passengers, not just departing. Departing passengers from RSW are about 3.5 million. I believe the ranking is:
#1- Orlando
#2- Miami
#3- Ft. Lauderdale
#4- Tampa
#5- Ft. Myers
Not sure how JAX, SRQ, and PBI rank but I am pretty sure about the top five

· Registered
82 Posts
Here are the numbers I found for the year 2006:
#1 Orlando (34,759,000) traffic up from 2005
#2 Miami (32,533,974) traffic up from 2005
#3 Ft. Lauderdale (19,443,758) traffic down from 2005
#4 Tampa (18,867,541) traffic down from 2005
#5 Ft. Myers (7,643,217) traffic up from 2005
#6 West Palm Beach (6,824,789) traffic down from 2005
#7 Jacksonville (5,946,188) traffic up from 2005
#8 Pensacola (1,597,502) 2005's numbers. 2006 wasn't available.
#9 Sarasota (1,079,815) traffic up from 2005
#10 Key West (couldn't find numbers, but I believe this would be ranked tenth

· Registered
82 Posts
Holy mother of... I had no idea Ft Myers had grown so much!!!
Yep. Fastest growing metro area in Florida last year. Thirds fastest growing metro area in the NATION between 2000 and 2006. Fastest growing school district in the state as well. We added nearly 30,000 residents to the county last year alone.

On a side note, RSW has direct service to both Munich (2x weekly) and Dusseldorf Germany (3x weekly) as well as Toronto. It gets more action than most people think.

· Registered
82 Posts
IN FLA:) , my friend,
very so true in your report post here,
the Regional South West " RSW " airport is one of the most recently beautiful new airports in the nation, built far away from the southwest cities so the F.A.A. doesn't have to limit the downtown Ft. Myers skyscrapers heights, yes.:cheers:

but, IMO:nuts: , the only problem I see and very pissed off every month I travel I-75 to visit my daughter in Brandon near Tampa is
The Still after 20 something years:nuts: ,
it's still a 4 lane expressway ( 2 lanes on each side ) from the Aligator Alley mile marker 104 , all the way up to Venice , Fla. Mile marker 201 , except for the Charlotte/Punta Gorda River Bridge which was widen to 6 lanes ( 3 on each side ) some years back:eek:hno: .

I know so far, its a rush hour's nightmare each time we get caught on friday afternoons going through the Ft. Myers to Naples area.
But , I also know there's No plans what so ever to widen any part of this over growing area of the Interstate.

If you live in this area , please let all of us know, if there;s ever going to be a widening taken place. Especially around the Airport and Germain Arena Interchanges,

thanks In FLA<:)
your input is needed:cheers:
UH!! You are so right. They are making plans and have already begun to widen it to six lanes in some places. Eventually it is going to be widened to ten lanes. The big problem down here is that they want to add toll lanes. Since the Expressway Authority involves both Lee and Collier Counties, both counties have to agree on a plan. Lee wants six toll lanes and Collier wants four. I personally like Collier's plan better. Six is too many. If they can get the funds then I-75 will be widened to 10 lanes by 2015. However, it is no secret that this area of Florida is by far the most shunned region by the State Government. They never give us any money. So right now it is a money issue. It is definatley being widened to six though as we speak. They are also building an interchange strictly for the airport. Also, the airport is already planning to add an extension to the middle concourse which will add more airplane gates. They are also developing an airport business park where the old terminal was. The interchange on Alico is pretty close to completion as well.

· Registered
82 Posts
I should add the Page Field General Airport is building a new terminal that looks AWESOME!! I've never seen a general aviation terminal like it. They have full size model planes hanging from the ceiling and it will even have a restaurant in it. I saw the renderings on T.V. but I haven't been able to find them online.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.