1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
You sure not the tallest *Structure* in Florida?
I think you know what I mean considering Orlando has no buildings over 500+ feet. That being said the group that is putting this together are from Mango's Bar & Grill which has locations in both Orlando & South beach and they claimed financing would not be a problem at their press conference today.

·
Mr. Justice
479 Posts
I think you know what I mean considering Orlando has no buildings over 500+ feet. That being said the group that is putting this together are from Mango's Bar & Grill which has locations in both Orlando & South beach and they claimed financing would not be a problem at their press conference today.
If I knew what you meant, I clearly wouldn't have asked....

Not only that. Everyone knows that. I just wanted to know what the tallest "structure" as it is defined, is in the state of Florida currently?

The tallest building is in Miami. But is the tallest structure a coaster? Citrus tower?

Actually I'll Google it now lol

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
^^
I think the tallest structures in FLA are those antennas.

^^
It's probably ironically appropriate that the Skytower would be the tallest thing in CFLA. Personally I'm glad it's coming here because it shows progress in the image and development of I-Drive. The tower is bringing a nice little retail development with it for that corner, which is great- the tower alone, isn't. My hope is that as development and redevelopment continues, more better proposals come. What I really want to see are more convention caliber hotel properties, and I think they'll come gradually as convention business continues to thrive. On that note, beefing up I-Drive supports that.

^^
Anyway, what's retarded is that this proposal is 570' tall and the 31 story Megamall proposal was just scaled back by 200 rooms (from 1,200) and 50' because of zoning issues (sounds more like Rosen issues) for that parcel. That parcel is a nothing parcel- who cares anyway? Let them build the MGM Grand if they dare.

·
Registered
97 Posts
^^

^^
It's probably ironically appropriate that the Skytower would be the tallest thing in CFLA. Personally I'm glad it's coming here because it shows progress in the image and development of I-Drive. The tower is bringing a nice little retail development with it for that corner, which is great- the tower alone, isn't. My hope is that as development and redevelopment continues, more better proposals come. What I really want to see are more convention caliber hotel properties, and I think they'll come gradually as convention business continues to thrive. On that note, beefing up I-Drive supports that.

^^
Anyway, what's retarded is that this proposal is 570' tall and the 31 story Megamall proposal was just scaled back by 200 rooms (from 1,200) and 50' because of zoning issues (sounds more like Rosen issues) for that parcel. That parcel is a nothing parcel- who cares anyway? Let them build the MGM Grand if they dare.
It really annoys me to see this proposal ordered to scale back. Although the max height of 360 feet would still have a large presence. We are seeing this critical mass occurring on I-Drive shifting to something different than what is presently there. So the dominant special interests of the corridor (Rosen and friends) do not want to see their stream of revenue hindered, even if it hurts everyone in the end :(
Hopefully as more of these developments and redevelopments spring up, the attitudes will change. I've also noticed these developers are increasingly mentioning and taking locals into consideration with their projects as a destination for all. That alone is a shift in mindsets.

·
Mr. Justice
479 Posts
^^

^^

^^
It indeed is a radio Antenna.

And the city making the Megamall scale back is a terrible thing. Would I be crazy to say that two needle looking restaurants on I drive would cause conflict so they asked them to remove it?

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
Good news for International Drive and the wider area! This "roller coaster skyscraper" has made it into the news here in the UK. I've only visited I-Drive in the last few years so have probably seen it at its relative worst during the recession but things are really - and literally - looking up now! :D

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
Good news for International Drive and the wider area! This "roller coaster skyscraper" has made it into the news here in the UK. I've only visited I-Drive in the last few years so have probably seen it at its relative worst during the recession but things are really - and literally - looking up now! :D
Wow! Welcome! I love the UK!

Come back to see the new Harry Potter ride at Universal!

If you come back within a year, you can get on the Orlando Eye and compare it to the classic London Eye. The same group is building it.

Hopefully by them they'll begin construction on this new observatory attraction.

·
lime-hating shrublet
21,804 Posts
Oh I'm planning on returning to Florida within the next year! I've yet to visit Universal so it's on my list of things still to do as is The Orlando Eye - if it's finished by then. I also understand lots of other new establishments are opening or have opened on the touristy parts of I-Drive and Hwy 192 since I was last there two years ago which is excellent news for the area. I watch with interest. :)

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
Oh I'm planning on returning to Florida within the next year! I've yet to visit Universal so it's on my list of things still to do as is The Orlando Eye - if it's finished by then. I also understand lots of other new establishments are opening or have opened on the touristy parts of I-Drive and Hwy 192 since I was last there two years ago which is excellent news for the area. I watch with interest. :)
Downtown Disney will be VERY different when you return also.

·
10,628 Posts
I-Drive's Skyplex may face one last pre-vote meeting
Nov 4, 2015, 4:36pm EST

Richard Bilbao
Reporter
Orlando Business Journal

International Drive's Skyplex project is the biggest, most-debated project the tourism corridor has seen in a long time — and it looks like the debate has yet to end.

The $460 million project, which includes a 501-foot polercoster, a zip-line, drop tower and surf wave pool, may need to face another public forum if Orange County Commissioner Scott Boyd has his way. The project is slated to go before the Orange County Commission for a vote on Dec. 1.
more here

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/blog/2015/11/i-drives-skyplex-may-face-one-last-pre-vote.html

1 - 20 of 29 Posts