1 - 20 of 341 Posts

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NAME: Orlando Stadium
USE: Sports Stadium

Project description
The new Orlando stadium will have a con-temporary design that will make it a landmark in Soweto and will be one of the official training grounds for the 2010 soccer World Cup.

The project involves the construction of a new 40 000-seat stadium on the site of the old Orlando soccer stadium, with a partial roof. In addition, provision will be made for 280 wheelchair-bound spectators. Access to the various levels of the stadium will be by elevators or ramps, each access ramp being some 5 m to 6 m in width; stairs will exist only within each level and solely for the spectators to reach their seats.

Colour-coded spiral towers will serve to guide spectators to the entrance corresponding to the ticket colour.
The intention is to make the facility a multi-purpose stadium.

Besides other things, the stadium will include new features, such as electronic screens, medical rooms for injured players and conference rooms.

Once complete, the stadium will be in line with international standards and Fifa requirements.

Value
R284-million.

Duration
The project is expected to be complete by May 2008.

Breakdown of main contracts
None stated.

Client
The City of Johannesburg.

Latest developments
Contract winner for the Orlando stadium, Grinaker-LTA Building Inland, is making good progress on the project. The company is casting 2 000 m3/w of off-shutter coffer slab, and is on schedule for a completion date in May 2008.

Under a separate contract, Protech Khuthele demolished the old stadium, and handled the earthworks and the platforms.

Participants
Grianker-LTA (contractor), Protech Khuthele (demolition, earthworks and platforms), GEL (subcontractor to pile fill section), Platinum Sports Consulting (sports stadium design), Afro Architectural and WMS Architects (architects).

Construction materials
Three thousand precast raked beams, 65% of the stadium footprint comprising fill, and 284 piles driven to find bedrock.

On budget and on time?
The project is making good progress.

Contact details for project information
Grinaker-LTA Building Inland,
tel (011) 578 6200 or fax (011) 578 6364.

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
as much as i am concerned about the stadium and its development I am more concerned about the area surrounding the stadium, from experience around the athlone stadium, its more important how the area around it is developed and improved in the long run...as before i suggest tons of trees and improved public spaces along with adequate areas for public transport. From the image it seems as if that is sort of implemented but its usually just the stadium that gets built with the surrounds taking second place

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They "pillars" for the eastern side of Orlando Stadium are up. About 4 cranes working there.

·
Banned
2,975 Posts
they just building stadiums here and there...damn.......they need to get rid of those slums in SA b4 the world cup and build new houses for those people living there.

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
here and there? do you know how long orlando stadium has a been a venue for soccer in SA? this stadium was barely a stadium and based on its history it deserves its massive overhaul

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
they just building stadiums here and there...damn.......they need to get rid of those slums in SA b4 the world cup and build new houses for those people living there.
SA is a very complicated country with a complex history and a lot of contradictions. With a budget of more than
$6 billion for low cost housing, its not like, the housing ministry is short of cash to build houses for the poor. The challenges are more on delivering the houses fast enough and actually creating jobs so the people can also get their own houses. Yes as Mo Rush alluded, Orlando stadium has long been the hope of black people in Soweto who aspired to be soccer stars. Many SA soccer stars came from this stadium and played in this dusty venue and it deserves this upgrade more than any other stadium, if FIFA 2010 World Cup is to leave a legacy especially on the black poor majority.

Now that makes me sound like i am ready to be elected the next SA president, LOL

·
Banned
16 Posts
Forgive my ignorance......I just dont wanna see the rich gettin richer and poor gettin poorer..... i see some other stadiums being built like the one for kaizer chiefs....so i wanted to vent my opinion.
But i just hope they clear the slums in and around SA....cuz u know the U.S media is not gonna paint SA as a rosy country...they will show the conditions of people living in the slums...and thats how americans are brainwashed.

They did this piece on CNN when Bush went to SA....this CNN reporter visited soweto and he said they even have ATM machines....as if they are not people and they are not suppose to have it.

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
kaizer chiefs is being privately funded for their new stadium. this doesnt affect me as a taxpayer. kaizer chiefs can have their own stadium

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Forgive my ignorance......I just dont wanna see the rich gettin richer and poor gettin poorer..... i see some other stadiums being built like the one for kaizer chiefs....so i wanted to vent my opinion.
But i just hope they clear the slums in and around SA....cuz u know the U.S media is not gonna paint SA as a rosy country...they will show the conditions of people living in the slums...and thats how americans are brainwashed.

They did this piece on CNN when Bush went to SA....this CNN reporter visited soweto and he said they even have ATM machines....as if they are not people and they are not suppose to have it.
That's the American mentality and that proves how short-sighted they are. But I guess the main issue is not to bother about their comments but just concentrate on making our country and continent one of the best in the world. There are good Americans like Oprah who frequently tells the posetive about our country.

1 - 20 of 341 Posts