SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
lagom
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will Orlandos suburbs get their own skyline?

what do you think?
So far Altemonte has this one going up

·
lagom
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
its a joke..man :)
Lake Mary has a good number of buildings already as well as Altemonte and with this tower which can been seen for miles as well along with Orlando's skyline I'm wondering if this is going to be a trend out there.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Thats a pretty cool looking building.....does Orlando have any suburban skylines already?

^^ I think that answered my question as I was typing it :)

·
lagom
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea it has Lake Mary and the city where this one is being built has a few that you can see from Downtown Orlando's buildings.
To the south near Beeline Expressway and I-drive and Lake Buena Vista theres some decent sized ones that make a skyline.....

·
lagom
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ha ha and I just saw the answer to your question after I typed this.... but yea Orlando area has some interesting clusters.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I pass by there on I-4 every other month on my way north. Do you know HOW LONG that thing has been under construction?

I swear, I started seeing that thing go up 4 years ago!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
that altamonte tower is way too squat. it looks like somebody squished down when you see it in person. the rendering was much better.

·
Registered
192 Posts
no orlando suburb currently has their own skyline. Lake Mary has a large office park that stretches along I-4, along with Maitland, and Altamonte has a few low-rise buildings dotting the landscape. None of these constitute a "skyline". The closest thing to a second skyline orlando has is around I-drive, which is mostly made up of hotels.
The city just isn't at the level of having it's suburbs evolve into true urban landscapes (ie Kendall in Miami, or Oakbrook in Chicago). We will settle for the likes of Winter Park, which are compact, walkable, yet still maintaining the small-town charm.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
The Majesty building in Altamonte was supposed to be 22 stories and they scaled it back to 18 for some unknown reason. And YES, it has been U/C for a long time.

"SKYLINE": No offense, but I disagree with your definition of "skyline", Hisma, and here's why:

How does one define "skyline" anyway? What are the factors: A bunch of buildings that make a city's silhouette from a specific vantage point? Do they have to be office buildings? Does the city have to have a minimum population also? And, does there have to be a minimum density of the buildings making up the skyline?

Oakbrook has Oakbrook Terrace and when it was built, it was the only tower there. Did that qualify as a skyline? How about Sandy Springs in Atlanta with the king and queen buildings just north of the perimeter-- those two buildings and Sprint's building-- does that qualify? What about Daytona? No office buildings on A1A, but there are 25-30 condos around 20+ stories each, and another 20 or so at least 10 stories each. What about Astoria Queens- they got the Citibank bldg that's taller than anything in Tampa- does that qualify? something to think about...

Altamonte-- if you drive by there, Emerson Plaza 1 & 2 are U/C just south of the Majesty building. Both around 12-14 stories. They are the first two condo towers in the Centerpointe project which straddles Crane's Roost. There are several more planned for that project as well as a 14+ story office tower as well.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
Also, regarding "True Urban Landscape", I have to disagree again. How does one define urban landscape?

Regarding Kendall, the skyline or uban landscape you refer to there is a huge development next to Datran Center, Marriott, Metrorail, and Dadeland Mall, being built on huge former empty tracts of land (north of US 1) vacant not more than 3 years ago. They just recently coined the phrase "downtown Kendall;" Its nothing more than an office park which is now getting an influx of apartments, condos, more retail, and a new downtown core area. It is awesome; I love that part of town. With that in mind...

That example of "true urban landscape" applied to Altamonte translates to: Altamonte Mall, Altamonte 18 cineplex, Crane's Roost, Embassy Suites, Centerpointe office park (3 or 4 buildings already), a few existing apartment complexes, the Majesty bldg., Emerson Plaza 1 & 2 both U/C and several more planned, Altamonte Town Center mixed use urban core U/C, and a hundred other neighboring retail shops and several resaurants.

Same holds true with Lake Mary/Heathrow/Primera/Colonial Towne park/Northpoint Office Park. There are dozens of suburban low rise office buildings, a 12 story Marriott, another hotel, Colonial Town Park office/retail component off of 46A, office condos U/C, dozens of companies and tons of apartment housing as well as adjoining neighborhoods. That area is built up like some suburbs of Chicago that I've seen.

And Maitland Center is bigger than that area. Its one of the largest office parks in Florida. It definitely has a skyline-- Between the main 16 Story bldg at Lucien Pointe, the former EDS bldg, RDV Sportlplex, Charles Schwaab and a few others- all on Maitland Blvd (not including the ones on Lake Destiny). You can see those bldgs from I-4- and they're two blocks west of the interchange-- and there's apartments and housing and hotels and restaurants. Thats a major urban landscape for a suburb also.

Even Celebration has a skyline and urban landscape-- there are at least 4-5 buildings at their office park- the tallest over 10 stories- visible from I-4, included in the overall development.

So does Millenia, with two major low rise office buildings straddling I-4, along with the mall, retail, retaurants, housing, new housing/retail development just to the south of Nova's bldg., Mercedes dealership, hotel in the works, and new groundbreaking every few weeks...

And I-Drive, which you mentioned-- this isn't the "closest thing" to an urban landscape... it IS an urban landscape, as are Maitland, Lake mary, Millenia, and Celebration-- AND Winter Park: maybe not a discernable skyline, but it definitely has an urban landscape and density comparable with urban suburbs in larger cities.

And the I-Drive area has convention class hotels, two retail open air malls, restaurants, the convention center, housing, Sea World and Discovery Cove, Harcourt Publishing, and other Westwood office buildings nearby.

I was in Chicago in March. (I'm from there) I was in Miami in March as well. I used to live in Atlanta. Orlando is no Chicago- obviously. It's no Atlanta. Its no Miami. And for that matter, its no Tampa. For what it is, it has a lot-- and especially with this town-- most of what it has is dense suburban development.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
Forgive my long posts, it was the only way to illustrate my point. Oh, and I left out the Downtown Disney area at 535 and I-4. Give it another year when LBV Towers (25 story twins) gets well underway, the Regency Suites (12 stories), Blue Heron towers 2-4 (20+ stories), etc, get well underway-- that skyline will be even more visible and denser than it already is with Marriott World Center, Hyatt Grand Cypress, Wyndham Palace, and a few other Hotel Drive towers.

·
Registered
192 Posts
well I guess I used the wrong wording, I meant more along the lines of an "urban downtown" instead of a skyline. Vertical office parks can still be considered a skyline, but they are in no way a downtown. When you throw retail, residential, and walkable streets in the mix, you get the feel of a typical downtown... soemthing I feel most central florida suburbs lack. You're right though, for what orlando is it does have alot going for it, and perhaps the suburbs can eventually evolve into something special too.

·
jimmy
2,892 Posts
I totally agree. I think places like Altamonte and some of the others I mentioned need about a year or two to allow the "walkability" factor to mature. Yeah, Maitland does not really have any retail except around Maitland Ave. and Orlando Ave. Surprisingly, though, Colonial Towne Park has a nice little retail area under development on the north edge of Heathrow. Again, I didn't mean to ramble on and on...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts