1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Qatar forums
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Que puedo decir?
2,768 Posts
^^ 600m???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Suzan is breathless.*

·
Fairouzy
7,872 Posts
Frankly this is insane, and I dont see it being built. It is probably just a render for Barwa Tower or something. But, they should make this the HQ of Qatar Airways, since they both share the same logo.

·
SSC's biggest 722 fan
2,004 Posts
I absolutely love this tower... It would really be a landmark to Qatar since Oryx is one of its symbols.
The design is pretty good, and I like the idea of the flag-colored lighting.

I really hope this tower gets built!!

·
Que puedo decir?
2,768 Posts
I think that it symbolizes the whole country.

·
Fairouzy
7,872 Posts
The projected location of this tower is right smack in the aircraft's approach to the runway. I mean right there in the center. There is no way this tower is getting built before the new airport opens.

·
Smile :)
2,148 Posts
I absolutely love this tower... It would really be a landmark to Qatar since Oryx is one of its symbols.
The design is pretty good, and I like the idea of the flag-colored lighting.

I really hope this tower gets built!!

Hehe, I was gonna say the same, the colored flag lighting makes it amazing.

Halawala, the new airport will be ready by 09 and there is no way this tower will get built in two years :D

·
Registered
373 Posts
The projected location of this tower is right smack in the aircraft's approach to the runway. I mean right there in the center. There is no way this tower is getting built before the new airport opens.
Yeah I was thinking the same too... especially since its 600M. But is it just me or does it completely ruin the skyline? Its way too out of proportion, and it sticks out way too much. It also takes a lot of attention away from the Sheraton, which is probably Doha's most famous landmark.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Couldn't this maybe be the 100 floor tower that connects to the new Convention Center? It seems like it's almost in the same area. Either way that would be iconic.

·
Que puedo decir?
2,768 Posts
I think this tower is going to happen!! :cheers:

Dohas Horny 600m Tall TV Tower

Published on 2008-01-15 by Skyscrapernews.com

National pride in something is a wonderful thing. So proud is Qatar of their national animal, the Oryx, that proposals have been put forward to build a super-tall skyscraper to honour it.

Named non-surprisingly the Oryx Tower, it will stand an impressive 600 metres if it gets built and comes from the drawing board of Austrian architect Gerfried Ramsauer.

Triangular in shape the tower thins out as it reaches its peak and will sport some unusual and innovative features and be instantly recognisable by its homage to the Oryx - its amazing antler spires which instead of pointing upwards curve over slightly.

The tower will have a glass façade but this is not bog standard, double skinned, two a penny glass façade but rather this will, if it gets built, be the worlds biggest LED screen.

The tower incorporates the Media RETRO façade and RETROluxtherm blinds into its design which will allow images to be projected onto the outside of the façade making this not only a fully functioning skyscraper but also a massive communal television. How cool would the film The Towering Inferno look at that size?

The clever part of this innovation is that the goings on inside the tower will not interfere with what's being projected outside and the projections will not obscure views to the outside world, pleasing both T.V enthusiasts and those within the tower who appreciate the panoramic view that's on offer.

This will allow the tower to transform its look with patterning as well as T.V pictures or have the colours fade through the spectrum creating a giant lightshow on the Doha skyline.

Traditional Muscharabir patterns down the sides of the building will give a traditional Arabic look at night proving that the past and the present can be melded together successfully whilst the general structure is expressed by crossbracing that zig-zags diagonally up the sides.

It's suspected the tower will be used largely for office space although nothing official has been released as to its possible function as the project is still in the design stages.

Such an interesting and unique design will have many fingers crossed or in the case of the square eyes amongst us, the TV remote finger poised in anticipation for approval to be given to this tower and work to begin on site.
http://www.skyscrapernews.com/news.php?ref=1308

·
iLoveQatar.net
442 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
yeah but they have CONFIRMED theirs.. and gonna construct it,, yours is only a PROPOSAL ....

until you guys confirm yours and start building ,, only then can you claim your LED building is taller.

for Now it goes to dubai..

·
iLoveQatar.net
442 Posts
Well let's look at the news article if you bothered to read it

From Emirates "Gulf News"

"Tameer Holding will develop"

Alright that's good. This proposed tower also said that they will develop they didn't say when.

"The idea generated by Tameer has been designed by LED technology experts Dactronics"

Sadly they weren't the first with this idea.

Anyway, power to them for moving quicker, the point is, they got the title of 'World's largest' BEFORE it's built. Why can't Qatar get World's largest before it's built too?

Anyway, Qatar's moving slow now with the world financial crisis.

Even Nakheel who said "no don't worry" have pulled out of a 75 million dollar project TWO DAYS after saying "everything's fine" lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts