Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
48,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Architecture Rules
495 Posts
This wires forest is horrible, and in all Japanese cities, including downtown areas, just horrible for one developed country, is there any plan to put it underground, anywhere in Japan?!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
This wires forest is horrible, and in all Japanese cities, including downtown areas, just horrible for one developed country, is there any plan to put it underground, anywhere in Japan?!!!!
Its because of the high risk of earthquakes I believe

There was some discussion to hide some of it in Tokyo before the Olympics, but im not sure anything every materialised.

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
Its because of the high risk of earthquakes I believe

There was some discussion to hide some of it in Tokyo before the Olympics, but im not sure anything every materialised.
Undergrounding utilities has been on the books since the 1980s, and while the argument about earthquakes was valid, advancements in earthquake engineering make undergrounding more viable, especially as downed poles can block streets, and in the case of typhoons, be an electrocution hazard.

Around Midōsuji, side streets are slowly but surely having their utilities undergrounded in tandem with streetscape improvements. I'd imagine efforts will accelerate for Expo 2025. Tokyo has been undergrounding along major streets and surrounding priority redevelopment areas, and the national government is incentivizing it around cultural sites across the country. Ultimately, there's a lot more red tape involved than you might expect.

It's impossible to underground everything. Even so, it's not so bad because at least the wires are concentrated or organized on one easement, unlike Korea or the Philippines where it can be a tangled mess. In the U.K., I've been in places minutes away from major, touristy areas where overhead wires are like a spider. Where I live in the Southern United States, you even have multiple R-O-Ws and utilities companies with the nerve to ask governments to get trees cut down because they're too cheap to underground.

·
48,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
48,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts