SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I would share some the pictures I've taken of the city. Some recent, some less so.

First lets start with a bunch from last winter.

2 Havnelageret. It was the largest building in the Nordics and the largest concrete building in Europe upon completion in 1921.

·
Registered
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
^^ More pictures from the same winter.

7. Groschgården/ The Grosch building. Drawn by German born architect Bernhard Steckmest and stood completed in 1897.

8. Tostrupgården/The Tostrup building. Completed in 1898 with a design inspired by what Norwegian architect Torolf Prytz saw on the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893.

·
Registered
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
^^ Thanks. Some more.

10. The relatively dense and dark Rådgusgata. The large brick building on the right side dates from 1916.

11. Old and luxurious. Could also been seen in picture 6.

12. One of the more art-filled facades in the city.

13. Old apartment complex from the late 19th century.

·
Registered
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More picture documentation of last years winter here in the north.

14. A castle-like apartment complex from the late 19th century. This is today a hotel.

15. Somewhat blury picture looking down towards our old main office.

16. The fortress.

17. One of many building inside the fortress grounds. This one appears to be under renovation.

·
Registered
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^ Thanks. You're welcome.

18. The old Seamen ship school placed at a hill overlooking the city.

19. Oslo Opera House. Completed in 2008 and won a shitload of prizes.

20. Looking up Karl Johans gate, the citys parade street.

21. Looking down Karl Johans gate.

22. The Norwegian Royal Castle.

·
Registered
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
23. A monumental old building in Rådhusgta. This is the same building that can be seen on picture 10. It dates from 1916 and must have felt quite modern when completed.

24. Just another old commercial building. Dating from 1899 and drawn by Norwegian architect Ivar ****. Like above, It's almost impossible to take a picture from this area without included cars in it.

25. Grev Wessels Plass.

·
Registered
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
26. Walls of the fortress that can be seen in picture 16. Oldest part of the fortress dates from 1299.

27. The path leading around the fortress' walls.

28. A modern building at Tjuvholmen.

·
Registered
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the comments! :)
I enjoyed those. Have you any more? I particularly like the look of The Oslo Opera House.
Yes, I have many more pictures. A few more from the winter and many from the spring and summer. I plan on posting them gradually with one or two photo posts each day.

However I do not have many picture of the opera house currently. I may take some more in the future, but as of now these two pictures are the ones I got:

·
Registered
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^ You're welcome.

31. The neighborhood behind the royal castle.

32. Same as above.

33. Same as above.

·
Silver creations
549 Posts
Great aweful thread with very nice pics! I like Oslo a lot. I was there on the summer 2009 and take two nights on the SAS radison hotel (or Oslo plaza as it´s name is by now) and take also a swim on the pool upstairs on the top of the hotel, it was realy nice!!! :) OF

·
Registered
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Great aweful thread with very nice pics! I like Oslo a lot. I was there on the summer 2009 and take two nights on the SAS radison hotel (or Oslo plaza as it´s name is by now) and take also a swim on the pool upstairs on the top of the hotel, it was realy nice!!! :) OF
Thanks for the compliment!

Sadly the area you stayed (around Oslo S) have been completely neglected by the city for some time and I suspect it don't give you the best first impression of the city. Lately we have started on big re-development scheme in an attempt to bring these areas back to their former glory. It was started with the construction of the opera as seen above, and then come the removal of the waterfront freeway, the Barcode development (will post pictures of this later) and will in the future be followed by a new Munch museum, a new main library and general city developments.

Bottom line is that if you liked your stay in 2009 then you would love a stay now or in the forthcoming future as the many of the citys faults are about to get fixed.
:)

·
Bike It!
22,054 Posts
I must admit I didn't know Oslo had got so many 19th century beauties. But above all, the new opera house is stunning! Keep them coming!

·
Registered
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^ Thanks!

The last pictures from the last winter set.

35. The neighboring building to artsy facade in picture 12. Drawn by Norwegian architect Paul Due in collaboration with German born architect Bernhard Steckmest. Completed in 1872.

·
Registered
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Summer/spring now.

36. Another one of Ivar Cocks buildings.

37. Completed in 1896 like it says above the door.

·
Registered
14,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
38. Another angle of the building in picture 4.

39. The streetscape here is lined with these pretty buildings from the late 19th century.

40. Same as above.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts