Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read Liverpol's comments a while back about my site being down. Tried to find the thread again to respond, but it takes such an age trawling through the threads/posts when you only have a dialup connection (in my Mum's house until tomorrow).

Fasthosts have fucked up big style. My site and a load of others have been down for over 36 hours. Got the usual bollocks:
----------------------
"Dear Sir/Madam,

Our engineers are currently in the process of transferring the last of the data from our backup to the file server in question.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused by the status page message displayed earlier.

We expect this to be completed in the next few hours.

Yours sincerely,

Manny Brown
Xtreme Support Team
Fasthosts Internet Ltd.
http://www.fasthosts.co.uk
http://www.ukreg.com "
-------------------
Been posting pics via Photobucket all day. Hopefully, it'll be up and running somtime tonight.
Anyway, I'm off to take few night shots to relieve the headaches and the voices in my head to kill Fasthosts :)

Toodle Pip Chaps :cheers:

·
366 Posts
Gareth said:
I hope your site gets sorted soon, Dave.

This site's becoming terrible to post on. I'm on broadband and it chugs opening threads and posting. It's almost not worth the bother sometimes. I can't imagine how terrible it is on dial up.
Glad you said that Gareth. I thought it was my PC.

I have to keep logging out and back in again. :bash:

·
800th birthday in 2007
4,192 Posts
Gareth said:

By the way, is anyone finding this site a bugger to post on these days? I'm on broadband and it chugs opening threads and posting. It's almost not worth the bother sometimes. I can't imagine how terrible it is on dial up.
Today's been ok, but recently it's been an annoying fooker, it's as if my broadband has stalled to 1kb per hour. :bash:

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
gothicform said:
dave, whats your monthly bandwidth and how big is the site. perhaps i can host it for you for nothing
Hiya Goth, many thanks for your offer m8 :cheers: , but it's it's a reseller account with supposedly unlimited domains and bandwidth. I have another 40+ websites to host if and when I change to another account. Just checked and it's still down :bash:
I'll have to do summat in the morning, which is a pain in the arse as my main intention for staying in Liverpool until Monday p.m. was to sort out a headstone for my mum :bash:

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gareth said:

By the way, is anyone finding this site a bugger to post on these days? I'm on broadband and it chugs opening threads and posting. It's almost not worth the bother sometimes. I can't imagine how terrible it is on dial up.
Thanks Gareth. I have 2 MB cable and sometime find it suffers from lag. It's probably down to those selfish bar stewards who post pics :)

·
3,362 Posts
This site this morning is almost unusable, I have clicked on a thread and then gone and put the kettle on waiting for the page to load!! I've never noticed it this slow before, who can we complain to??
BTW I am running with half meg Broadband.

·
366 Posts
Doug Roberts said:
This site this morning is almost unusable, I have clicked on a thread and then gone and put the kettle on waiting for the page to load!! I've never noticed it this slow before, who can we complain to??
BTW I am running with half meg Broadband.
Doug, I'm with AOL. Sometimes when it's running slow through the AOL Browser, I switch to the Internet Explorer Browser. It seems to speed up on most occasions.

You don't think it's sabotage do you to put us off from posting as many posts. I mean we are catching a certain city forum.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A.D.Williams said:
Is Liverpool Pictorial back? Minus a lot of pictures but does seem to be back up.

:)
Hi Dave, not sure if I can type this without the usual expletives. Fasthosts have finally got my site up and running again. Promised they'd do a restore from the day before their hardware broke down. Guess what? They could only restore my site from June 2004!

I'm just in the process of getting it up to date. Probably take all day, as the folders I have on my hard drive are set out differently to the ones on the server.

Lesson 1. If you have Dreamweaver, use their "Manage Sites" programme and install a mirror site on your hard drive. Then should anything go wrong with your server, simply transfer your site from your hard drive to your server when it's back up again.

Simple, ain't it? any idiot can work that one out. Well I fucking didn't, so what does that make me?

It's rhetorical wiseguys :)

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
Dave have you thought of taking advertising for your site? As the City of Culture takes off, I bet your site gets more and more popular all over the world. Maybe that could pay for you to get it all backed up by some company? Hope your site is all restored soon.

If it isn't insensitive, I wonder if this thread might be used as one to discuss photographic related issues? Is that okay, or is there already a thread somewhere for that on Skyscraper?

I have a few questions about posting pics on the internet.

First one is this.

I sometimes post pics on another Forum, and someone sent me a slightly sinister message saying they not only knew what type of camera I had, but the date of manufacture and serial number, and claimed that if I'd registered the camera with the manufacturer he could get my name and address in a matter of moments. That individual is a troll, bullshitter, and prone to nonsense - but I checked and I could certainly see the camera make and type, software type, and a load of boring technical details in the "metadata" tab (if you download a pic from here, to your computer, right click, go to properties, and its one of the options) like white balance, flash duration, blah blah - everything on my pics tends to be "auto" because I don't understand how to use all the settings. This individual, however, claimed to see all this stuff under the File tab.

It seems to differ according go the software you use to see it. If I use my own Olympus software, I can't see any details at all. Nor in Explorer whatever its called to see pics. But if I view pics through my old Pentax software I can. I've looked at a few pics from people posting here, and some people you can see their camera type and software, and technical details of the shot, including time/date stamp - but none of that intrusive stuff that actually identifies the individual camera in particular. Other people I can't see anything at all. I don't know if that's because their camera make doesn't attach such details to pictures, or maybe the hosting company blocks it - or are some people able to set their camera software to not send the details on?

I wonder if maybe there are other software packages that do pick that up even more details than I can see - and - given that IT people love secreting completely pointless and anonymity-defying features into everything - I wonder if others here can see different details on pics? Maybe that person really can see my camera date of manufacture (something I dont know) and serial number? I am not bothered that much, as I dont have any gigantic need for anonymity, but I'd be interested to know if every time I post a pic here or somewhere else, someone can see my camera serial number.....

Any thoughts or info on this? And again sorry if it seems insensitive to hyjack Dave's "website catastrophe / recovery" thread, but it's like when you in hospital waiting to hear how someone is, when you are waiting for news, you have to make conversation and fill the time, and maybe therefore it's okay to do that here.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts
JUXTAPOL, can you send me a message please? I was going to Email you, but cant. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts