Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 1893, Wilfred Laurier declared that he wanted Ottawa to be a great national capital, a Washington of the North, and began a program of federal government construction, including departmental buildings, museums, parkways and parks to achieve this. In light of the proposal to relocate the National Portrait Gallery out of Ottawa, do you agree that Ottawa should be a fine city and home to our national institutions in a manner similar to Washington, London or Paris, or should Ottawa develop in a different manner, or perhaps its not important anymore that Ottawa be home to national institutions, that they should be shared across the country?

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
I find it hilarious that a bunch of cities are fighting over the National Portrait Gallery. :)

Ottawa is very little like Washington.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Why must we be like Washington of the North? We should be Ottawa. Maybe Washington can be Ottawa of the South. ;-)

·
Ex-mod
7,931 Posts
Why Washington? I'd prefer the Kremlin in Moscow.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Government-only cities like Washington and Canberra and Brasilia are dead boring.

Therefore Ottawa needs to be something other than the Washington of the North.

·
Canadian eh!
3,523 Posts
Blah blah blah. Ottawa is Canadian, Washington is US American. We're happy with what we have. I personally feel insulted everytime someone tries to make us more like US Americans.

I am Canadian and proud of it.

·
"The Ignorant Fool"
2,576 Posts
I like Ottawa. Washington is ugly. It's a big vast museum sprinkled with some crack addicts.
:lol:

And politicians addicted to our tax dollars and the power trip.

I found Ottawa very beautiful.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
You are way to nice TB, sometimes it is fun to say another city sucks :p

·
Premium Member
79,203 Posts
^^ With the gremlins in the system yesterday, your message disappeared for some time! You are right, it is fun once in awhile, but Washington was laid out in a truly magnificent classical Beaux Arts way with some very impressive architecture.. I would love to visit it!

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Should Canada's provinces, territories and perhaps major cities be represented in Ottawa, perhaps in the form of cultural centres/pavilions or gardens around the city or around the core area?

·
39,226 Posts
Blah blah blah. Ottawa is Canadian, Washington is US American. We're happy with what we have. I personally feel insulted everytime someone tries to make us more like US Americans.

I am Canadian and proud of it.
Agreed. People are way too US-centric and need to stop looking southward for guidance or a reference point. You don't see
Americans comparing everything to some Canadian benchmark, do you? July 4th, the US's version of Canada Day! The NFL, watered down Canadian football! New York, the Toronto of the US!

It's really pathetic, and we need to stop doing it. It's a sign of an insecure society that hasn't come into it's own yet. We should be so over this colonial mentality by now. Canada is Canada, and we can plot our own course.

:eek:kay:

·
Registered
13,365 Posts
Out constant comparisons to only the United States are the reason we're lagging behind the rest of the first world today. We have to stop it.

·
Registered
8,015 Posts
As someone who has been to both Ottawa and D.C. I'll take Ottawa anyday. Atleast in Ottawa I'm not afriad of being shot at or mugged!!! And I must agree with Calvin W. Why is it people are always trying to take everything Canadian and make it American-like or vica versa. Trust me, your better off being as unlike Americans as possible!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts