SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Hanging the boots up
9,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the 90s I could not think Nigeria will go nowhere but up.....the military dictatorship ended...the super eagles were decent....we performed well at the olympics including winning 2 golds at the 1996 olympics...not many countries can say that. Look at naija today...can't even claim one medal, when other countries are preparing right after the olympics for rio 2016...nigeria will wait till the last minute to recruit the likes of morton amaechi to represent us....instead of investing in sports that nigeria will participate in...they just ignore them like they ignore the country to keep crumbling :eek:hno::eek:hno::eek:hno:

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Well what do you expect. Of course the country will be like this,

Because the people aren't willing to fight for change!

So what do you expect? What happens in Nigeria is perfectly normal....and will continue to happen.

You will be opening another thread like this in 4 years time, unless Nigerians sit up.

Australia has 4 Gold Medals and they are now investigating the "Poor performance". If Nigeria won 4 Gold Medals, they would be jumping up and down and with 0 medals, the Sports technical crew are blaming it on the athletes.

That is the difference between a real country and a fake one. They say a gold medal costs $15 Million of investment, yet we have athletes like Okagbare, Regina George, Gloria Asunmu etc with little help from the government. Okagbare had to go to the diamond league to try and win some funds for herself.

They are crying for exposure and they are getting little. Felix Ekpo has said that he wishes that Nigeria was different. In the basketball team, we have people insulting the D'tigers while we had the coach Ayo Bakare working his ass off, outsourcing the recruiting arm to an international branch to pull together a team hastily. He scheduled flight plans, tourneys etc and tried to work something out to get the team to London.

We have our athletes working for themselves with little support. The grassroots is dead and we scramble desperately for athletes like Jonathan Akinyemi, Ike Diogu, Amaechi Morton etc. Even the likes of Okagbare who is home grown trains in the US.

So how are we supposed to get anywhere.

but that is the Nigerian way. Mediocrity. Nigeria is one of the greatest underachieving nations in human history. We are a nation of consumption and little productivity.

One of the most shocking revelations is the fact the Britain grooms athletes with a Nigerian heritage so successfully, yet Nigeria with a far larger pool to choose from often does not equal that output and sometimes even when we think we have i.e. Tosin Oke, he is even a British based, British developed athlete. So when they have athletes like Christine Ohuruogu & Andrew Osagie, I ask myself....how do they manage to develop these athletes with a smaller pool. When we have 150-175 Million people.

I ask myself, why are these athletes even born in Britain in the first place. Why did their parents leave Nigeria? I ask myself why do we now have competitors with Nigerian heritage everywhere! And I also ask myself, why do we even care if they are there.........Why do we take notice of them and why do we try to claim them? What makes them special?

·
Registered
27,578 Posts
Corruption has finally eaten away at the last thing Nigeria had...sports.

Look at the MBGN pageant, before beautiful girls represented Nigeria, now a girl who looks way older than the requirements and look like she just gave birth to a kid a few months ago is considered eligible.

:eek:hno:

·
Hanging the boots up
9,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Corruption has finally eaten away at the last thing Nigeria had...sports.

Look at the MBGN pageant, before beautiful girls represented Nigeria, now a girl who looks way older than the requirements and look like she just gave birth to a kid a few months ago is considered eligible.

:eek:hno:
The same naija girl i was talking to yesterday told me to get a job naija you have to have money for bribe.....to get into college you have to have money for bribe....what kind of stupid country is that? All those beauty pageant probably bribe too to get in

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nigeria is doing poorly for several reasons, but one obvious reason is lack of human skill. This is borne of the circumstance of brain drain. This is because as more people vacate their homeland to search for a chance at a better life overseas, more incompetent and unskilled people are left behind, leaving a mostly proletarian society where even an uneducated rustic can serve in the offices of government or even rule its people.
The idea of export philosophy will continue to breed mental quandary in the minds of younger generation as most do not understand its consequences. And because the idea of brain drain doesn’t seem so harmful, in fact in the short term it proves helpful to families of the benefactor; case in point, almost everyone on this forum is writing from a foreign country, and almost everyone in Nigeria wants to leave to go overseas. This is also why you see several Nigerian athletes representing GB.
This disease is treated lightly and not as prodding evil that it enshrines.; if not checked it is capable of turning Nigeria into a failed state in few years to come.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts