SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
COYS
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Out of Belfast: Showcasing the rest of Northern Ireland

I thought it would be nice to have a thread where we could post pics of some towns and villages outside of Belfast, for others from the UK, ROI and Europe to see.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Good idea Conor. I've never been anywhere in NI outside of Newry and Belfast so it's great to see these pictures. Looks like a really nice place. Great snaps there.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Great idea for a thread. Here are a few shots from in and around the Newcastle area:

Newcastle. A seaside town 24 miles from Belfast. From being a bit tacky, it's transformed itself over the last few years with an award winning promenade. Also home to the magnificent Slieve Donard hotel, and Royal County Down golf course, consistently rated as one of the top courses in the world.

Castlewellan. Home to a forest park which features the world's longest hedge maze. Picturesque location perched on top of a hill.

Dundrum. Small village a few miles before Newcastle on the road from Belfast.

Rostrevor. Another small town on the south side of the Mournes. Good place to stay if you're spending a few days walking about the mountains- plenty of bars too to recover from a tough days climbing!

Of course, the real stars of the region are the stunning Mourne Mountains:

Easily my favourite place place in the world, there's millions of great photos of the mountains on the net. Of course, nothing beats actually being there! And they're only half an hour down the road from Belfast.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I like looking at these pics, but, and I don't wanna seem ignorant, but are people outside of NI interested in our small towns outside Belfast and Derry/Londonderry.-:)

I'm not saying I care either way but I don't think they are.

·
COYS
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
boba - Hopefully this thread will help create a bit of interest on the forums. I might actually add a link in my sig to attract more visitors to the thread. So many people don't realise that there are actually so many small towns and villages to discover.

plank - great pics so far! Keep it up.

Heres some more pics of them Mournes (Sorry, their small, but I want to try and keep thread downloading speeds up)

·
niterider
397 Posts
Bit off-topic here but from those photos, Armagh, (I assume the centre is a conservation area?) seems to have an excellent hold of its conservaiton area. Those buildings look very well maintained - and from appearances plastic windows haven't been allowed to take old!:applause:

·
22,045 Posts
I like looking at these pics, but, and I don't wanna seem ignorant, but are people outside of NI interested in our small towns outside Belfast and Derry/Londonderry.-:)

You'd be surprised tbh.

Not everyone shares the narrow-mindedness that some in Northern Ireland possess.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts

If they are interested, then the thread is there to be read! Plus, i love looking at pictures of NI- we really do live in a stunningly beautiful country.

Plus some of our smaller towns are lovely. Particularly along the Antrim coast road- Ballygally, Glenariff, Cushendun, Cushendall, Ballycastle.. beautiful villages/towns in beautiful surroundings. As Belfastuniguy says, you'd be surprised how many people are interested in places outside Belfast- i had several visitors over christmas who fell in love with the scenery and places around the country.

·
níféidirliomdulacholadh
1,216 Posts
Wow! I have to admit, NI for me in my head, only really consisted of Derry and Belfast :p It really is beautiful, Armagh is a really nice town! Really interesting and some stunning stuff. Cheers for this.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
^^

lol, i was scratching my head for ages trying to work out where Ballycultra is! Never realised that's what the village bit of the folk museum was called. A great part of what really is a wonderful museum.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
is that a pic of Larne Harbour somewhere above? :)

·
COYS
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nope. That's Portrush. You can see Barry's. The smaller harbours aren't in Larne either.

1 - 20 of 205 Posts