SkyscraperCity banner

181 - 200 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all, first post on here but I've been reading through the forum for a while. I'm a Newtownabbey native, have been living in Melbourne for the past 12 months, and have just moved back to the UK, now living in Birmingham. I signed up and followed this forum as a way of keeping updated of changes and things going on in Belfast whilst living away.

Having just read through this thread from scratch it can be quite hard to keep track of all that is going on and where. There are also numerous "this is being planned" posts but very little by way of follow-up like we have on the Belfast threads, perhaps because the thread covers such a large area (anywhere but Belfast). Would it be worthwhile having a couple of separate threads, say one for Derry; one for Belfast satellite towns (Lisburn, Bangor, Newtownards, Newtownabbey, Carrickfergus) and perhaps one for the Armagh, Craigavon, Banbridge, Newry area.

Anyway it was just a suggestion based on having read vast swathes of the NI subforum as a newcomer. I'm looking forward to having discussions with everyone on the board.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I think the main problem with threads outside of Belfast is that all of the main contributors are based in or around Belfast. Also sadly because very little has changes outside Belfast that I can think of other than residential development. Bangor still hasn't had its sea front updated, there have been a few updates on portrush thanks to the open. Apart from that it's really just the odd tourist attraction outside of Belfast that gets funded.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Yea, there could probably be a separate thread for Derry / Londonderry if there isn't one already; with a few developments planned. But i'm not sure anyone is based up there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The scarcity of posters outside of Belfast may be a problem for having photo updates to ongoing projects, but that is also an issue currently. It would be easier to track the developments planned/underway specifically in Derry for example if it had its own thread rather than being lost in amongst updates to Portrush, Newtownards etc.

While there may not be a lot happening compared to Belfast, it would be nice to be able to follow what little if any development is happening in particular parts of Northern Ireland. For example, it would be cool to have a specific area thread to discuss the Linen Mill Studios Game of Thrones Studio Exhibition development, and what impact this will have on Banbridge and the surrounding areas, including transport links for tourists.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The Harry Potter Studio Tour has been a massive economic boost to the Watford area, hopefully this can do likewise for Banbridge. Belfast will also benefit from the tourism, but it's a good thing to get tourists venturing out of Belfast and seeing more of NI.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Northern Ireland could soon have its first floating hotel after a businessman announced ambitious plans for a three-star venue on the River Bann.
Seamus Carey is seeking planning permission for a hotel with 36 cabins on a 70-metre Norwegian vessel at his Cranagh Marina Complex in Coleraine. He hopes the hotel would be up and running next summer, with the creation of 50 jobs.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Northern Ireland could soon have its first floating hotel after a businessman announced ambitious plans for a three-star venue on the River Bann.
Seamus Carey is seeking planning permission for a hotel with 36 cabins on a 70-metre Norwegian vessel at his Cranagh Marina Complex in Coleraine. He hopes the hotel would be up and running next summer, with the creation of 50 jobs.

I log onto Bel Tel every day, more & more articles now are on premium access only looking for payment to read - ridiculous

·
13,173 Posts
The Bel Tel has new owners but it’s been crap for years and their journalism isn’t worth paying for IMO.
I log in every day too, and I think it's a pretty weak paper, but in the scheme of things with the Standard and the Manchester Evening News at the top of the 'local' ladder, it's merely mid table.

Newcastle's main paper, the Chronicle [known as the Chronic] is truly appalling. I can't think of a 'story' it's broken for years on the basis of Lord Northcliffe's definition 'News is what somebody somewhere wants to suppress; all the rest is advertising.'

It confines itself to speculation about the football club, 'police blotter' and 20 pubs which have closed down..

It's a problem for all provincial local press, staff cuts and frequently an unhealthy relationship with local councils and businesses. Publish something rude about the council, football club or a local pub chain and you simply lose access.

The upside if that if you are opening a new whelk shop send in a press release and a photograph and it's likely to get published verbatim.

However local city TV channels tend to make local papers look as incisive as the New York Times...

181 - 200 of 205 Posts